• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur 20th Anniversary Trailer

Nah mate.

Needs Amy. And most definitely needs Hwang!!!!
Heck yeah!

And Setsuka, pretty please

I'm sure Setsuka will continue to be in the series...
latest
...as a moveset on a totally unlikable and unrelated character!!! Mwuhahahahahahaha >:D
(joking aside, my mind still boggles at this)

I totally agree with you but SCV already did that for me. I felt dead inside while playing it. To me the heavy combos into criticals, fierce juggling, new meter system and OP characters like alpha Patroklos were too much. And that is the fighting system they will most likely use going forward.

You are so spot on with your analysis of the series. Just a pity you hadn't started with Soul Edge. It would have been nice to hear your thoughts are on the original.

My personal favourites I must say is a tie between Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. 2 near perfect games. The series just started losing it's magic little by little with each new entry.
Thankies :D

I keep hoping that in addition to stepping around the story mess of SCV they'll also back away from the combat direction, but I'm genuinely unsure of the reception it got. I know some of my friends played it online beyond when I gave up, but there was significant enough disinterest in it that we stopped playing it and went back to 4 when playing locally. I know some major SC players jumped ship on 5 too (notably to titles like DoA5 which is pretty decent but not SC), though notably the queen of Soul Calibur, Kayane, kept plugging away at 5 and it's competitive scene was still around for about 3 years after release. I don't know what Project Soul (whatever that even means anymore considering they dissolved the team, proper, after Broken Destiny) makes of it.

Yeah, sadly I missed out on Soul Edge/Blade outside of the catchy intro :3 I'm curious how much carry over there is seeing as Calibur ditched the weapon breaking system and whatnot, though I did spend my first year of SC getting destroyed by someone who'd played the heck out of SE so I imagine there's a fair bit :D
I'm really surprised there was never a stage that made a nod to the grass level from SE though as that could've been amazing with what we can do with graphics now.

The first Soul Calibur will always have a place in my heart and it's probably the one I'm best at, but if we were going to get an HD remake of any of the entries now I'd genuinely love to see them release a remaster of the Soul Calibur 3 Arcade Edition version C (or the mythical D I've seen one or two peeps mention, which I'm not convinced exists but I could be wrong)
That said, a remaster of the original would be pretty cool, the old graphics haven't aged too badly but it's no longer the eye-gasm it was back when it was one of THE dreamcast selling titles almost just on the looks alone, plus it's be nice to have the announcer not sound like he's doing his lines down the phone :3

Hwang needs the silver fox makeover that most of the other SC dudes got. (Rock & Li Long too.)

The best thing SCV did was freshen up the returning male cast, while the ladies just stepped out of their cyrongenic chambers. :/

is Ivy going to be more naked now?

that really turned me off in the most recent soul caliburs. i don't need DOA dressing girls, i want fighting game with decent plot.

i loved soul edge bc of the story of the blade possessing the welder.

the best cameo was when Vader showed up.

EVOL 100%

is Ivy going to be more naked now?

that really turned me off in the most recent soul caliburs. i don't need DOA dressing girls, i want fighting game with decent plot.

i loved soul edge bc of the story of the blade possessing the welder.

the best cameo was when Vader showed up.

Plot I'll give you, but as it has been said countless times in this thread, SCV had the most modest outfits since SC1...

really?

cause could've sworn you can customize ala DOA

Customization aside, the default costumes of every female character in SC5 was quite modest in comparison to SC4.

The costumes you show in that video are just that: customization. Those aren't the default costumes, the players themselves have to create those costumes in the character creation mode.

sn0man

That's the problem. Most people wandered off at SC2 and live on pretending it was the best entry.

Actual ranking:
SCV
SCIII
SC
SCII
SCIV

I'll admit it, I totally did that. I got to play it at a friend's house on his dreamcast with a bootleg. I was blown away by the graphics. Then a couple/few years later I played it on Gamecube with others and loved that Link was the guest.

Then life moved on and I forgot about the series.

Maybe this is time for a DF retro. It would flow nicely after the Sega AM2 talk to discuss the og arcade game (and soul edge) vs the dreamcast.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
TIL there was a Soul Calibur V.

To be fair, I skipped consoles last gen. If they want to do a new one, I approve.

LCGeek

formerly sane
SC4 is the worst SC.

SC2HD should have been SC3AE:HD.

Always bring a smile to my face when I see smoeone ask for SC3AE:HD. Probably the most complete version of the game next to SC1DC. Only versions of 2 I ever really liked were all arcade releases and namco nerfed them cause some characters were to OP and not their favorites like for instance raf, cervantes, and yun seong.

Game was a gem to play when I worked for namco arcades especially with a big two cabinet sitdown style machine.

SC4 I refuse to play now and I will tolerate 2 with certain competitive people I know from chicago when they get in the mood to play.

Skilletor

Always bring a smile to my face when I see smoeone ask for SC3AE:HD. Probably the most complete version of the game next to SC1DC. Only versions of 2 I ever really liked were all arcade releases and namco nerfed them cause some characters were to OP and not their favorites like for instance raf, cervantes, and yun seong.

Game was a gem to play when I worked for namco arcades especially with a big two cabinet sitdown style machine.

SC4 I refuse to play now and I will tolerate 2 with certain competitive people I know from chicago when they get in the mood to play.

I think SC3AE is my favorite. It has pretty much everything I want in a game. If it were released today, I don't know that I'd need SC6. Best roster, best gameplay.

Me and my SC buddy here played a bunch of SC2HD when it came out, but I got bored super fast. We just play SC5 now.

SC4 is the worst SC.

SC2HD should have been SC3AE:HD.

This is what happens when you give people the ability to customize outfits.

She's never worn more clothes as a default in the series history.

I mean, don't wanna get too deep into an argument about cheesecake, but I think that's sort of Ivy's bag. Not saying it's wrong to want more options for her, but I don't think it's necessarily *wrong* for her to exist as cheesecake.

Skilletor

I mean, don't wanna get too deep into an argument about cheesecake, but I think that's sort of Ivy's bag. Not saying it's wrong to want more options for her, but I don't think it's necessarily *wrong* for her to exist as cheesecake.

Huh?

Cheescake is definitely her thing, but SC4 Ivy was fucking stupid. This is in response to the poster who tried to claim that some create a characters were representative of the outfits in SC5 and the numerous shitty posts that act like Taki didn't have torpedo breasts back in SC2 and large breasts in this series is somehow a recent phenomena.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I think SC3AE is my favorite. It has pretty much everything I want in a game. If it were released today, I don't know that I'd need SC6. Best roster, best gameplay.

Same for me besides SCDC. Of anything post SC1 it easily is the best as it fixes just about all my gripes I had for 2 or 3 including vc or g2 issues. I don't get how we ended up with 4 considering the rest of the franchise is solid.

Floex

https://youtu.be/kb3IgskJdMY

The Soul series began life in Japanese arcades with the release of Soul Edge in December 1995, but found global fame when it was renamed Soul Blade and released on the original PlayStation in December 1996.

Soul Blade was followed up by the first Soul Calibur game, which I put hundreds of hours into on the Dreamcast in 2000. There was something about the feel of the parry system that I couldn't get enough of. Guard Impact, basically, was the most satisfying thing in fighting games around that time.

I - along with many other fans - have been clamouring for a proper new Soul Calibur for a while now, especially as recent entries in the free-to-play and mobile markets haven't done much of anything to excite. So this new Pachinko game doesn't help. It's not the kind of announcement fans had hoped for from Bandai Namco to coincide with the 20th anniversary, that's for sure.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-13-its-the-20th-anniversary-of-the-soul-calibur-series

Magneto-perfection.gif

Master troll

Top Bottom