• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulja Boy Drops Rap Single About Zelda, But Doesn't Seem To Know What A Rupee Is.

American rapper Soulja Boy has taken a real liking to video games as of late, but he hasn't exactly gone about things the right way, especially after dropping a confusing rap about The Legend of Zelda. [Youtube video above]
Legend-of-Zelda-Soulja-Boy-Rupee.jpg

The 28-year-old, named DeAndre Cortez, really seemed to upset Nintendo after stamping his name on a bunch of knock-off consoles bearing hundreds of unlicensed ROMs that quickly saw him taken to task. One of these was called the SouljaBoy Mini, which was basically a remodeled Game Boy. However, the gig did not last long and the website set up for that particular venture now redirects visitors to Nintendo's 3DS store.
The latest bit regarding Soulja Boy and his newfound love pertains to The Legend of Zelda, and he went back to his roots for this one, dropping a rap track with instrumentals from the popular Nintendo title.

Rather unsurprisingly, he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. The rapper seems completely unaware of the fact that Zelda is simply the name of the game (and the damsel in distress players are tasked with saving) and not the actual protagonist, who's named Link.
The song has left Nintendo and Zelda fans boiling over, but even more curiously, Soulja Boy refers to Rupees as "green diamonds."

My boi Soulja Boy is back for a thirds time messing with da most manipulated gaming fan base on the planet, Nintendo fans, and stayin relevant, still mad at how my main mans done gave "reggie the boot" yaknawmean? How dat retirement tho Reg'?

Now he put out this hot new track and ya'll jealous because unlike Soulja Boy you don't get them Green Diamonds like Zelda! Soulja Boy got so much Green Diamonds he eats em' like cereal! While spitting supahotfire! (He's not a rapper tho')

YO GREEN DIAMONDS LIKE ZELDA! YOLO SWAG SURFING LISTERINE!

tumblr_n4euivBEq91qd3hr1o1_500.gif

But seriously, Nintendo fans keep going after this guy and while it's hilarious you might actually (by incident) get him back to being relevant on the music charts, so if you could do us a favor and not do that I'd really appreciate it. :)

I mean you did listen to the song right? I don't think the music industry needs anymore of that. I don't care how much Green Diamonds the song makes, lol.

Nymphae

Banned
Idk, a rapper referring to the rupees as "green diamonds" doesn't seem like the worst example of artistic licence.

mysticboy

Some people can't understand references. Saying "diamonds" instead of "ruppees" in a rap song about flexing money makes more sense and is more understandable to the masses. Besides ruppees do look like diamonds

What a fucking loser, trying to jump on the VG bandwagon with a mediocre PSP rip-off, then emulator rip-off and now a song it doesn't even know crap he's talking about. It's almost sad.

demigod

Because Rupees are the currency in India. It would be easier for people to know that he's talking about the diamonds in Zelda and not the diamonds in Indian money.

Vawn

Banned
Because Rupees are the currency in India. It would be easier for people to know that he's talking about the diamonds in Zelda and not the diamonds in Indian money.

Yes, cool song about The Legend of Zelda, but why are they also talking about the currency of India?

I'm sure people would have been very confused. /s

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
THIS

soulya boy be smart man no hate he got dem ghost writers dawg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
More to the point, he's obviously sampling the opening music track from the NES game. I assume that tune is copyrighted? Did he get permission to use it? I assume not.

More than being a clueless idiot, he's a legally liable clueless idiot.

The rapper seems completely unaware of the fact that Zelda is simply the name of the game (and the damsel in distress players are tasked with saving) and not the actual protagonist, who's named Link.

I'm not kidding, but I did the exact same thing, before I was even 10 years old.

baphomet

Stop talking about him, and for God's sake don't click on the fucking song.

He's playing the shit out of you guys, and for good reason. You post about everything pointless thing he does.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Not that I’m saying that rap is any good, but green diamonds goes with the flow way better then rupees do.

Diddy X

Just watch this classic from 2008, he also used to say he was a huge gamer back then but some things simply don't add up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Really lol

The biggest loser is the person who wrote that article, it’s crazy everything these days is just for clicks

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They are green diamonds. Complaining if it's technically something else is more dorky on the articles part than SB

I mean, his sword's a big knife, too, but you don't hear that in the rap.

Synless

Green diamonds? I always thought of the currency as green = emerald, blue = sapphire, red = ruby. Never did I think of them as diamonds.

mcjmetroid

Probably the worst thing I've ever heard but that being said Soulja Boy is a massive troll at this point.
He knows himself that it's terrible.

Just ignore him and he'll go away but people aren't going to do that..

db1416

Probably the worst thing I've ever heard but that being said Soulja Boy is a massive troll at this point.
He knows himself that it's terrible.

Just ignore him and he'll go away but people aren't going to do that..
But see here’s the thing. With his “consoles”, with his music, and with his dinky little sayings on Twitter, I don’t actually think that he thinks he’s trolling. I legitimately think that he truly believes he’s an entrepreneur and a genius for the stuff he’s putting out and the things he’s doing.

This dude has some sort of God complex and he actually believes he’s talented and doing quality stuff. I don’t actually think he’s trolling.

Diddy X

But see here’s the thing. With his “consoles”, with his music, and with his dinky little sayings on Twitter, I don’t actually think that he thinks he’s trolling. I legitimately think that he truly believes he’s an entrepreneur and a genius for the stuff he’s putting out and the things he’s doing.

This dude has some sort of God complex and he actually believes he’s talented and doing quality stuff. I don’t actually think he’s trolling.

This guy has always quite liked to brag about his money, mansions, jewelry, etc. I'm not gonna go ahead and deliver a diagnosis, I'm not even a doctor (lol) but take a look at this Grandiose Delusions

mcjmetroid

But all of this stuff gets a reaction in the gaming world and therefore he's talked about.
Getting attention in the gaming world is the easily thing in the world, all you gotta do is insult someones favourite console manufacturer and presto.
I put him on the same lines as Kanye West. They're just doing it for attention.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit here all I'll say is he was never going to release a GOOD Zelda related song.

Housh

It's starting to feel gross seeing all these celebrities chasing that video game money. Even Jack Black.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's starting to feel gross seeing all these celebrities chasing that video game money. Even Jack Black.

Have you actually watched Jack Black's channel? The whole joke is that he doesn't even really play video games. It's kinda funny.

PhoenixTank

Get the gong, boys!

giphy.gif

(I'm not serious, but am unsure whether he is a moron or just trolling based on the whole console debacle)

Housh

Have you actually watched Jack Black's channel? The whole joke is that he doesn't even really play video games. It's kinda funny.
My bad for not giving it a shot. That's great if it's self aware.

Top Bottom