• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulja Boy Says His Next Console Will Feature Fortnite, Epic Games Says "No"

Bullet Club

Epic just Superman dat ho.

Soulja Boy Says His Next Console Will Feature Fortnite, Epic Games Says "No"

What an absolute mess

Amazingly, despite all of the recent shenanigans and probable legal action, rapper Soulja Boy is back yet again, this time claiming that he's working on another new console which will even be able to play Fortnite.

If you're not caught up on your Soulja Boy video game console manufacturing news (who thought we'd ever be saying that?), the rapper and record producer shifted his attention to selling knock-off game consoles towards the end of 2018. He started by selling a pair of consoles which were actually just re-skins of Chinese emulators, before going on to release a knock-off Game Boy with over 500 unlicensed games on it. Unsurprisingly, he was almost immediately forced to take these products down.

We thought (and hoped) that would be the end of it, but in a recent interview with Everyday Struggle, Soulja Boy shows off his latest project which supposedly has 800 preinstalled games from consoles like the PlayStation, Game Boy and Sega Genesis. Amazingly, he notes that these games are "licensed", before suggesting that the reason Nintendo originally approached him wasn't due to any blatant copyright infringements, but was instead "to see what... was going on" and because they "want in".

You can see it for yourself in the clip below - if you can manage to keep watching without ripping your own face off - but be warned that the video contains mature and, at times, offensive language.

Soon after this little discussion, Soulja Boy is asked whether or not Fortnite will be playable on his machine. He says, "yes, we’re working on it,” before quickly adding “not this one, on the next one you can”. Now, we'd understand why you might want Fortnite on your machine - it's still the world's biggest game and was even the most played Nintendo Switch game of 2018 in Europe - but it looks like that definitely won't be the case.

The folks over at Dualshockers approached Fortnite developer Epic Games for comment on Soulja Boy's claims. Here's Epic's response:

“No, you can’t play Fortnite on a rooted or jailbroken device due to anti-cheat measures.”​

Now, please, will someone explain the concept of emulation to Soulja Boy and end this nonsense?

Source: Nintendo Life

Hudo

I'd wish he would make a knock-off of a Chinese knock-off console, just to see how far this can go.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Who actually buys these rip-offs?
That's the question I am mostly asking myself.

They are just bad, low-quality products with barely functioning emulators.

Bullet Club

I have a version of the handheld he was selling, the GBA looking one, which I got from Aliexpress earlier last year. The default emulators were pretty bad but custom firmware that added Dingux made it good.

Who actually buys these rip-offs?
That's the question I am mostly asking myself.

They are just bad, low-quality products with barely functioning emulators.

Mostly people with very low income or low standing countries where a Playstation 3 still costs like $400. But better question is, who buys them from him? These consoles are out since forever, why does he make you change your mind. Id love this guy to end up in jail, he is publicly scamming people in both the specification of the product and its ability. Maybe the sales are so low that he still goes under the radar.

MDSLKTR

Soulja being back in the spotlight and wilding with everyone is the best thing to happen this year so far.

Nella

Good god, this kid really needs to take a break before everyone sues him to bankruptcy.

Last edited:

Orpheum

The dude just wants to be relevant again. Give him his 5 minutes of fame. Noone will buy the cheap shit with his name on it.

Shin

Banned
And here I was looking forward to ordering 10 of them, the disappointment is too strong man I'm at a complete loss and in shock.

tkscz

Why is he even trying this again? Did any of the other ones sell or is he just really bad with money?

Akuza89

Maybe if he actually tried they may have allowed it...

Technically though, all he needs is an android based game console and the mobile version can be added to the system...

Codes 208

Maybe if he actually tried they may have allowed it...

Technically though, all he needs is an android based game console and the mobile version can be added to the system...
Considering the mobile version has to be downloaded specifically from epic’s website rather than the App Store, it’d Be tricky. Plus EPIC could likely root out his console versions via updates that virtually crash the game upon start-up

Fbh

LOL at the bit where he goes on about how good of a guy he is for making an affordable console.

Wasn't he just buying the same chinese emulator box you can get on amazon for $50 (so I assume considerable less if you buy them over alibaba) and reselling it for $100?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The best part of this is all is that people enable this clown to earn money.
He gets my respect for that. XD

Akuza89

Considering the mobile version has to be downloaded specifically from epic’s website rather than the App Store, it’d Be tricky. Plus EPIC could likely root out his console versions via updates that virtually crash the game upon start-up

Knowing where he gets these "consoles" they would probably side load it, having it pre-installed... that's usually a good option for android devices haha

However yeah it's probably not worth the hassle haha

JCK75

While Soulja is obviously a scam artist there is a lot of presumption on Epics part here, They speak as if an Android device has to be rooted to run emulators and roms, I mean they of all people should know how easy side loading is since they utilized that feature to skip the play store.

Mr Hyde

The best thing would be to not give this man and his video game shenanigans any attention at all. No videos, threads, interviews or anything, just let him fade away to obscurity and eventually he´ll disappear. He wants people to talk about his shit, even if everyone just takes a piss at him.

zeorhymer

We need more businessmen like Soulja Boy. He's cranking out consoles left and right while we have to wait every 5-7 years from the big three.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mostly people with very low income or low standing countries where a Playstation 3 still costs like $400. But better question is, who buys them from him? These consoles are out since forever, why does he make you change your mind. Id love this guy to end up in jail, he is publicly scamming people in both the specification of the product and its ability. Maybe the sales are so low that he still goes under the radar.

They aren't as low as you'd think. He's making hundreds of thousands of dollars a day. And bragging about it.

Banned
They aren't as low as you'd think. He's making hundreds of thousands of dollars a day. And bragging about it.
He showed a screenshot of his sales figures, and it showed 7 units grossing over $200K.

There's literally no one interested or aware of this outside of the online gaming community and a few online hip hop gossip junkies.

mckmas8808

He showed a screenshot of his sales figures, and it showed 7 units grossing over $200K.

There's literally no one interested or aware of this outside of the online gaming community and a few online hip hop gossip junkies.

That's what I was saying. $200K is hundreds of thousands of dollars.

mckmas8808

If you deploy any type of common sense, it's easy to be alarmed that seven consoles would be worth hundreds of thousands. He's likely laundering money.

OH!!! LOL! To be fair I just watched him say that those 7 orders were group orders and not single unit orders. That's his word of course.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If you deploy any type of common sense, it's easy to be alarmed that seven consoles would be worth hundreds of thousands. He's likely laundering money.
OH!!! LOL! To be fair I just watched him say that those 7 orders were group orders and not single unit orders. That's his word of course.
It was actually one of those 7 orders that made 99% of those supposed 200k, so he was simply faking these numbers. No one other than some youtubers for sake of revewing bought any, and most porbably had enought brains to get them from other sources for a fraction of the price Soulja Boy asks for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom