• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Marine 2 & Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden Gameplay Showcase Reveal

Draugoth

Gold Member

Focus Entertainment to unveil Extended Space Marine 2 and Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden gameplay on August 30th.

Join us for highlights on Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 and Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden!Publisher Focus Entertainment has just announced that the first extended gameplay presentations for Saber Interactive’s Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 and DON’T NOD’s Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden will be held in a YouTube livestream on August 30th.

Pencil it in your calendar for a celebration of Focus’ line-up!Join us on our YouTube Channel to watch our Space Marine 2 & Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden Gameplay Showcase!

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Looks like baby difficulty, guy doesnt even look around and automaticallly kills enemies that attack from the back. Meh. Didnt like the 1st either.

Has anyone managed to sign up for the SM2 beta? Either their site is total crap, or there is just so many people trying to access it at the same time it's making it crap itself... which I sort of doubt, we're not talking about the next big Blizzard or Bethesda title here.

Ammogeddon

Has anyone managed to sign up for the SM2 beta? Either their site is total crap, or there is just so many people trying to access it at the same time it's making it crap itself... which I sort of doubt, we're not talking about the next big Blizzard or Bethesda title here.
I’m struggling too.

Edit: I persevered and it finally worked.

Last edited:
WarHammer looks FUCKING godly. Wow.

The graphics whore in me is horny
Yeah, visuals are crazy. They are using their internal engine, same one that was used for World War Z.

This game is reminding me of that heavy weight feel of Gears of War. Even the rolling is similar, but yet different. You can almost feel the weight of the armor of the marines, I love how they nailed that whole Warhammer 40K asthetic. I do not play the table top games, but I love the Warhammer 40K universe I genuinely think this is a dream come true for Warhammer 40K and action game fans. I cannot wait.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Goddamn this looks fuckin SPIIIICY.

I dunno know if this is gonna be GOTY for me or not, but it sure is surprise of the year.

The OG was hidden gem but I never thought we'd just randomly get a sequel 10 years after the fact lol. And the fact it looks soooo good. Lets go baby.

Ammogeddon

Any release date for Space Marine 2 yet?

The release window is winter, which could technically take it all the way to March 2024.

The impression I got from the recent Skillup preview was that they are expecting it to release next year.

It would be awesome if it came out in December but I’m not holding my breath.

I’m struggling too.

Edit: I persevered and it finally worked.
Have you received a confirmation email? After choosing which games I wanted to apply for the beta, the site told me they'd send one but it's been a couple of hours and still nothing.

And I completely agree with all the comments saying the game looks great, compared to the first one (which was already super good) there's a real sense of scale this time around, with hordes of 'nids and vehicle platoons battling it out at every corner, I love it! (plot twist: my computer won't)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Space Marine II looks nice but some stuff are decidedly last gen. Pop in is evident in several scenery stuff as you progress through and grass is not interactive and looks very last generation if not worse. But sure, great scale and loads of stuff happening on screen and great asset quality for most of it.

Some more polish needed with some floating objects here and there or the way some of the scripted sequences with explosions & such work but it's a different matter to whether the engine implements interactive foliage and such or not and the game's not finished so it's more understandable 🤷‍♂️

Ammogeddon

Have you received a confirmation email? After choosing which games I wanted to apply for the beta, the site told me they'd send one but it's been a couple of hours and still nothing.
Yeah same. When I log back into the Focus website it shows my beta selection is ticked. Hopefully it’ll sort itself out.

MiguelItUp

I have already signed the Review Form for this title. Hopefully, release date announcement soon. One of my most anticipated games this year (Space Marine 2 that is)
The "This Winter" text at the end got me excited as a lot of people were questioning if it was even going to release this year... So hyped for this. Between this new gameplay and that website update going live and then being removed (confirmed other PVE & PVP modes), I'm even more hyped, lol.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I really like how they managed to get the feeling of how powerful space marines are compared to guardsman, but also the fact guardsman are included at all.

Only thing I would complain about is a few times in the video guardsman where stood next to a heavy stubba emplacement and instead of manning it where using their lasguns. It would be epic in a firefight the human AI could use the emplacements set up reactively. I did like how it seemed that when the space marines appeared guardsman would disengage to let the marines take the front line and then offer mid range fire support, with Las bolts cracking off the tyranids as you got up close.

Space marines are only one part of the imperial War machine and its great that while you take focus as a space marine the other elements of the guard are there, I even saw an enginseer of the adeptus mechanicus, which makes sense as they are the most likely to be entranced in the front line with the guard mechanised units.

Good eye for detail from the game all round, very excited to go through it with friends.

Last edited:
Swarm Engine from World War Z made by Saber Interactive
Saber Interactive is such a weird developer. They have this weird thing of being a B-Tier dev with B-Tier games and then then all of a sudden they start producing AAA quality stuff like this. They sure have come a very long way. One of my favorite smaller sized devs. I actually really enjoyed World War Z even though it was a bit repetitive, there was something addicting about it.

Hot5pur

It looked really good.
My one criticism is the enemy variety was very lacking.
Was that chaos at the end there?
Also hard to stomach not having orcs, maybe there will be some surprises.

Out of everything coming out this year, I would have really wanted this but I suspect it will get delayed to late winter, ie. next year. Probably for the best as the holiday season is too stacked and this may get lost in the shuffle.

Really pumped for co-op, and if it was pvp similar to the original that would be awesome!! I think there was a leak of pvp already but they removed it's so not sure what's going on...

Brigandier

Looks like it'll be a blast co-op, I have my eye on this... I don't know much about this series or it's lore 🤣

I noticed deserters or those who leave their post are executed looks like this order is ruthless/zealous.

Where's the Emporer ??? He dead??

Salz01

This looks great. Hope it makes it this year. World War Z engine is pretty good. Hope this delivers too.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Oh shit!

Just watched it again and is that the Thousand Sons at the very end?!

Hype levels are now through the roof!

SimTourist

Saber Interactive is such a weird developer. They have this weird thing of being a B-Tier dev with B-Tier games and then then all of a sudden they start producing AAA quality stuff like this. They sure have come a very long way. One of my favorite smaller sized devs. I actually really enjoyed World War Z even though it was a bit repetitive, there was something addicting about it.
Smaller sized?
From their website:
Saber Interactive is a U.S.-based developer and publisher of video games. Consisting of over 20 studios and more than 2,500 employees worldwide, we are one of the key operative business units of Embracer Group.
That's not small at all, but they're making multiple games at once. Space Marine 2 does seem like their most ambitious game so far.

Smaller sized?
From their website:

That's not small at all, but they're making multiple games at once. Space Marine 2 does seem like their most ambitious game so far.
Didn't realize they were that large lol. They might have been small before they were acquired by Embracer Group maybe thats why I thought that, or were they always a part of it? Didn't they were their own publisher in the past ? It's been a hot minute, last game I've played of theirs was World War Z.

supernova8

Banned
Space Marine II looks nice but some stuff are decidedly last gen. Pop in is evident in several scenery stuff as you progress through and grass is not interactive and looks very last generation if not worse. But sure, great scale and loads of stuff happening on screen and great asset quality for most of it.

Some more polish needed with some floating objects here and there or the way some of the scripted sequences with explosions & such work but it's a different matter to whether the engine implements interactive foliage and such or not and the game's not finished so it's more understandable 🤷‍♂️
Only thing I thought looked a bit shit was the explosions where you have these super detailed buildings exploding into what look like low-poly lego blocks that bounce around unrealistically or just clip through the floor.

Only thing I thought looked a bit shit was the explosions where you have these super detailed buildings exploding into what look like low-poly lego blocks that bounce around unrealistically or just clip through the floor.
The fire kind of looks doo doo too, but to be quite frank making good VFX for fire in games/3d in general is kind of tough. Some games do okay job, some are just downright horrible.

Cyberpunkd

I do not play the table top games, but I love the Warhammer 40K universe I genuinely think this is a dream come true for Warhammer 40K and action game fans. I cannot wait.
It was the same with the first game, no other captured the world as well as Space Marine did including crushing hordes of orcs.
Put ungodly amount of hours in MP as well, the community was small but dedicated.

Duchess

I have a feeling we'll not have this running at 60fps on PS5. At least not at launch. It looks extremely CPU / GPU intensive.

I'll be more than happy to be told I'm wrong, though.

elbourreau

Count Me In Rick And Morty GIF

My first day one of the year?

Sidenote : imagine this game in the Starcraft universe.

GymWolf

Graphic looks ok i guess, the rest seems basic and boring tbh.

I'm gonna wait to see more, maybe i'm just over the basic tps ala gears genre.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Count Me In Rick And Morty GIF

My first day one of the year?

Sidenote : imagine this game in the Starcraft universe.
Yes it would literally just be space marine except PG-13 and anything potentially offensive replaced by bowls of fruit.

Warcraft and Starcraft are literally Warhammer Fantasy and 40k for kids. Back in the day Games Workshop refused to give them the licence so blizzard made there own universe instead.

Zerg are literally Tyranids light
Terrans are space marines if the imperium was red necks and not British and religious fuled zealots.
Protoss are the Eldari... even down to the Dark Eldar/craftworld eldar split and talking in fucking riddles.

It's like asking "yo can I have this game but in a far more child friendly and boring universe"
It would be the Fortnite of space marine games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom