• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spaceman trailer (Netflix sci-fi drama, Adam Sandler, coming March 1st)

SJRB

Gold Member

Six months into a solitary research mission to the edge of the solar system, an astronaut, Jakub (Adam Sandler), realizes that the marriage he left behind might not be waiting for him when he returns to Earth. Desperate to fix things with his wife, Lenka (Carey Mulligan), he is helped by a mysterious creature from the beginning of time he finds hiding in the bowels of his ship. Hanuš (voiced by Paul Dano) works with Jakub to make sense of what went wrong before it is too late. Directed by Johan Renck and based on the novel Spaceman of Bohemia, the film also stars Kunal Nayyar, Lena Olin, and Isabella Rossellini

Not sure what to make of this. Looks okay I guess, but also kind of cliché with the guy being alone, missing his wife, losing his mind, starts seeing weird shit, memories, what is real, yada yada.

RSLAEV

"I wish to assist you in your emotional distress"

From this point on I was expecting a much different movie

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Feels like I've seen this movie already many times. Adam Sandler has charm and I love sci-fi but this aint clicking with me. I'm more into sci-fi exploration or horror. This feels like a guy gets stuck, then gets rescued everyone happy the end with some drama in between that we've seen a million times.

bitbydeath

Feels like I've seen this movie already many times. Adam Sandler has charm and I love sci-fi but this aint clicking with me. I'm more into sci-fi exploration or horror. This feels like a guy gets stuck, then gets rescued everyone happy the end with some drama in between that we've seen a million times.
Adam Sandler often dies in his dramas, I don’t expect a happy ending here.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I gotta say, the hollywood idea that a wife wouldn't even stick around for 6 months is a real slap in the face of all those guys that pulled 15-18 month deployments, or the greatest generation that were "over there" for several YEARS. Why is the idea of a faithful woman so foreign to them??? :p

There is SO MUCH DRAMA that can happen on a remote ship like that, hell, this is why I LOVE The Martian, virtually no bellyaching, whinging, forced interpersonal drama. The guy pulled up his big boy pants and GOT TO WORK. Why can't we have more films like that?

But seriously, this, like Moon, is such a flawed premise from the get go, who the fuck volunteers for such a mission and why would they send just one guy alone like that? At least the Black Mirror(?) with the two guys who could tele-presence into their clone bodies made a LITTLE sense.

Alebrije

I have seen this movie before but with Bratt Pit...and before with George Clooney.

Weird to see AS on that role, basically his face speaks stupid Jokes..but he deserves to have it's "ethernal sunshine of spotless mind" kind of movie

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I have seen this movie before but with Bratt Pit...and before with George Clooney.

Weird to see AS on that role, basically his face speaks stupid Jokes..but he deserves to have it's "ethernal sunshine of spotless mind" kind of movie

I seriously doubt this movie will come remotely close to Ad Astra, which is easily one of the best space movies of all time.

Zathalus

I gotta say, the hollywood idea that a wife wouldn't even stick around for 6 months is a real slap in the face of all those guys that pulled 15-18 month deployments, or the greatest generation that were "over there" for several YEARS. Why is the idea of a faithful woman so foreign to them??? :p

There is SO MUCH DRAMA that can happen on a remote ship like that, hell, this is why I LOVE The Martian, virtually no bellyaching, whinging, forced interpersonal drama. The guy pulled up his big boy pants and GOT TO WORK. Why can't we have more films like that?

But seriously, this, like Moon, is such a flawed premise from the get go, who the fuck volunteers for such a mission and why would they send just one guy alone like that? At least the Black Mirror(?) with the two guys who could tele-presence into their clone bodies made a LITTLE sense.
The premise has got nothing to do with Hollywood, it is based off the plot of the novel Spaceman of Bohemia.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm game it can't be any worse than Interstellar.
oof-old-man.gif

LordOfChaos

Watched it, finished it...I'd say it was just "ok". Certainly not in the Contact, Arrival, tier, it was just ok. Could have executed a few things better.

I know loneliness and connection were really the themes, but does every space movie really need to spend more than half its time on a dreadfully boring love story, I would have preferred more Hanus. Though the dorky human mouth smile was weird.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Watched it, finished it...I'd say it was just "ok". Certainly not in the Contact, Arrival, tier, it was just ok. Could have executed a few things better.

I know loneliness and connection were really the themes, but does every space movie really need to spend more than half its time on a dreadfully boring love story, I would have preferred more Hanus. Though the dorky human mouth smile was weird.
I think ultimately we're supposed to be left wondering if Hanus was real or hallucinated. The mouth, I agree, was unnecessary.
And what is the symbolic meaning of a spider, anyway? Is it like the one in Charlotte's Web?

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
He had it with Punch-Drunk Love.

uncut gems you mean 😉
I seriously doubt this movie will come remotely close to Ad Astra, which is easily one of the best space movies of all time.

SJ, wtf man, you're one of the most level-headed posters in here but...that's just plain wrong 😁
Ad Astra has got to be one of the most uneven, tone-deaf , silly sci-fi movies in existence, there's much, much better stuff out there than this Brad Pitt auto fellatio/self-wankery of a movie let alone being "one of the best movies of all time" - that baboon "horror" scene...looooool.
It tried to do a little bit of everything and it succeeded at nothing but most importantly it's took itself way, wayyyy too seriously.
Don't worry, I still like you man 😁

Anyway, will give spaceman a go out if pure curiosity, cheers

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I watched it. It was serviceable. It failed at being deep or maybe I'm just too stupid to understand. Also the spider? Why a spider and not some ephemeral consciousness or made up creature. A spider? Might as well have been a cow.

Hugare

Loved the vibes. Cinematography seems really good.

And I'm all in for drama Adam Sandler. The man can pull of these roles when he wants to.

Felt a lot like the game Returnal (a movie adaptation of Returnal would be dope)

I watched it. It was serviceable. It failed at being deep or maybe I'm just too stupid to understand. Also the spider? Why a spider and not some ephemeral consciousness or made up creature. A spider? Might as well have been a cow.

To make the viewer uncomfortable, perhaps

I havent seen the movie yet, but I wont trust the spider until the end. No matter how friendly it turns out to be.

Last edited:

wondermega

Watched this last night, I had medium expectations (not a "funny/junk Sandler guy," but I do appreciate his dramatic work). Lonely Space stories do something for me, and this one was effective. Not a wonderful movie, and likely wayyyyy too slow and draggy for lots of, uh, modern viewers, but I think they did a good job with this. There's a couple head-scratching story beats/philosophical things going on which I really appreciated and kept me there for the whole story, it felt a little bit like a less-doomed Black Mirror episode in a way.

Not for everyone, but very pretty and most of the characters are relatable (the wife was a bit difficult to swallow, but without that mechanic there's no story here, maybe they could have done her differently). But overall, I'll be a little generous and give it a 7. I liked some of the things it put into my head.

Last edited:

E-Cat

I think the theme song really clashes with the atmosphere they’re trying to achieve with this movie…

Trilobit

Best? Lol! I had heard much good about it so I went in with some expectations thinking it would be contemplative and deep. And then a freakin' space chimp appeared and I instantly checked out mentally from the movie.

MV5BOTY5YTU4ZjctMTEwOS00ODBhLWIzNjYtNGZiOWZkMTJlNWZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM@._V1_.jpg

Top Bottom