• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spanish newspapers push for Google News Tax, GNews exits Spain, media panic ensues

Status
Not open for further replies.

7aged

Why is there so little coverage of the anti-protest laws?

I did a search (on Google News!) and the only report on it from non RT/pressTV types is a single short Reuters article. Otherwise nothing

Opiate

I don't feel this sort of silly reaction is particular to Spain.

The internet (And search engines in particular) have caused all sorts of upheaval in major businesses, and caused a lot of silly politicians to advocate some very silly things.

With that said, not many have gotten past the "well that's a stupid idea" phase and become actual law. I will add that Google's status as an American company seems to bother some European states, which is also no unusual -- look at how America has sometimes rankled at Airbus, for instance.

uuh guys? I just did a search ( on Spain) and I got Google news results. Wasn't it already closed down? Or this is something else and I'm being stupid?

voEJjTK.png

numble

The internet (And search engines in particular) have caused all sorts of upheaval in major businesses, and caused a lot of silly politicians to advocate some very silly things.

With that said, not many have gotten past the "well that's a stupid idea" phase and become actual law. I will add that Google's status as an American company seems to bother some European states, which is also no unusual -- look at how America has sometimes rankled at Airbus, for instance.
Do you consider the UK's proposed "diverted profits" tax to be a stupid idea?

Meffer

This was such an unbelievably stupid idea I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Did they really think Google would go along with this bullshit?
With such a stupid idea they have to be stupid, so yes, they're stupid enough to think Google would pay up.

Ravek

Banned
Wow. The amount of pure ignorance, arrogance, greed and pure evil is unreal.

This is basically biting the hand that feeds and making them feed you seconds after the hand leaves the house.

I know different countriew, different cultures/way of thinking...but they honestly didn't think this could work, right? They can't be THAT stupid.

Vinci

Danish

At this point the AEDE be like

6280354_std.gif

That image will invariably enter my mind anytime I hear about this issue from now on. Thank you. You can almost hear Morgan Freeman saying the lines but having them adjusted to describing Google rather than Bruce Wayne, and it fits perfectly.

In fact, that seems like a perfect gif opportunity.

Do you consider the UK's proposed "diverted profits" tax to be a stupid idea?
That is something totally different and has nothing to do with the issue here. That one is to collect taxes on profit that companies divert out of the country, so they are forced to pay taxes on profit made in the UK, instead of diverting it to Ireland or Luxembourg where the rates are better for them.

numble

That is something totally different and has nothing to do with the issue here. That one is to collect taxes on profit that companies divert out of the country, so they are forced to pay taxes on profit made in the UK, instead of diverting it to Ireland or Luxembourg where the rates are better for them.
Please read the post I am applying to. It is a rule specifically designed for Internet companies like Google, which is why it's called a "Google Tax" in the media. As an online company Google is able to take advantage of tax treaties that require a physical permanent establishment in order to be taxable in the UK.

Arksy

A silly idea is hardly new, but this is real enacted legislation. Most of the silly things a lot of people say with regard to the internet usually doesn't make it through the first hurdle. Or is met with significant public resistance...(like the Hungarian internet tax, or the internet filter in Australia, etc).

Edit: I should've read your last paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom