• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPARTACUS (1960) Vs GLADIATOR (2000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
rRKdDcBl.jpg

L7Xw1l2l.jpg

Both great movies, with the latter very obviously inspired by the former.

Gladiator is one of Scott's better films, while Kubrick was basically a director-for-hire on Spartacus - at the request of Kirk Douglas. However, when you're not comparing Spartacus to Kubrick's other masterworks, it really is an absolutely captivating film that would easily trump the best output of many other prolific filmmakers.

When it comes to performances, Crowe can act rings around Douglas; yet Douglas was exactly what he needed to be for that role, striking just the right note for the character - aware of his own ignorance. When it comes to the supporting players, Pheonix is mesmerizing, while Lawrence Olivier also knocks it out of the park. Jean Simmons (RIP) is also particularly enchanting.

For me, Gladiator plays like a taught period-thriller. We travel a lot, but the scope seems rather contained (the biggest sense of scope we get is probably in the Colosseum and rightly so). The plot moves at a brisk pace, so that while Maximus' story covers a lot of time; it all feels rather contained. Spartacus' narrative on the other hand is rather drawn out. We start out small and the story keeps getting larger and larger - like any good epic. And epic is the only way to describe the scale of the scenes Kubrick eventually puts up on the screen, though it never loses sight of its characters.

When it comes to scores, Gladiator is one of Zimmer's finer hours - with Gerrard's poignant 'Now We Are Free' being instantly recognizable these days. However, Alex North's classical and beautiful Love theme - while very different, is something that is just as resonant if you've seen the film.

I love both films, though if you couldn't already sense which way I lean, it is definitely toward Spartacus. Whenever I watch it and finally reach The Ending I'm a blubbering mess of a man. It has so many beautiful scenes and human moments that the pacing in Gladiator just can't seem to afford. Take this scene for example. It is so very sweet and innocent. I love the relationship between Spartacus and Virinia, these two slaves who happened upon each other. You'll also notice that Spartacus woos her with a line that my main man Kyle Reese will steal and use on Sarah Connor.

Where do you lie, GAF?

FreeMufasa

Da new one is better. Da fights, especially at da start of gladiator are very realistic. Spartacus was just too old for me. I did watch it in 2008 tho.

stilgar

I really love Gladiator. However, this :

drabaandsparty.jpg

Actual way gladiator were dressed.

This:
24-gladiator-fight.jpg

lolwut

It doesn't prevent me from enjoying it at all, but we're comparing the two, that's another story.

Big-E

I find rewatching Gladiator today is harder to do. At the time I was mesmerized but now I feel the movie isn't as good as is not as good as Crowe's other great historical movie (Master and Commander). The original Spartacus is good for what it is and the new series is even better. Need more Rome.

I find rewatching Gladiator today is harder to do. At the time I was mesmerized but now I feel the movie isn't as good as is not as good as Crowe's other great historical movie (Master and Commander). The original Spartacus is good for what it is and the new series is even better. Need more Rome.
What the fuck? No.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Gladiator by far. It invigorated a dead genre and brought back the 'epic' in style.

It also featured one of the late Richard Harris' greatest performances as the last of the 'Five Good Emperors'; Marcus Aurelius.

"Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear".

Mr. Tone

Spartacus.

Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat oysters?
Antoninus: When I have them, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat snails?
Antoninus: No, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you consider the eating of oysters to be moral and the eating of snails to be immoral?
Antoninus: No, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Of course not. It is all a matter of taste, isn't it?
Antoninus: Yes, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: And taste is not the same as appetite, and therefore not a question of morals.
Antoninus: It could be argued so, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: My robe, Antoninus. My taste includes both snails and oysters.

When the film was restored (two years after Olivier's death), the original dialogue recording of this scene was missing; it had to be re-dubbed. Tony Curtis, by then 66, was able to re-record his part, but Crassus' voice was an impersonation of Olivier by the actor Anthony Hopkins. A talented mimic, he had been a protege of Olivier during his days as the National Theatre's Artistic Director and knew his voice well.

Akahige

mrYrGTB.gif

Edmond Dantès;47659485 said:
Gladiator by far. It invigorated a dead genre and brought back the 'epic' in style.

It also featured one of the late Richard Harris' greatest performances as the last of the 'Five Good Emperors'; Marcus Aurelius.

"Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear".
jjDBgq9.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
There has never been a better depiction of Marcus Aurelius.

m-aurelius1.jpg

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane".

I actually found Sparticus to not be so great. Basically, it's the equivalent of a studio movie, with all the trappings that entails. Gladiator, for me, was the far greater film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
And who could forget this heartbreaking scene between father and son.

gladiator14.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2OFzMYJ5Fo

How many sons have felt as Commodus did?

Marcus Aurelius: Are you ready to do your duty for Rome?
Commodus: Yes, father.
Marcus Aurelius: You will not be emperor.
Commodus: Which wiser, older man is to take my place?
Marcus Aurelius: My powers will pass to Maximus, to hold in trust until the Senate is ready to rule once more. Rome is to be a republic again.
Commodus: Maximus?
Marcus Aurelius: Yes. My decision disappoints you?
Commodus: You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your son.
Marcus Aurelius: Oh, Commodus. You go too far.
Commodus: I search the faces of the gods... for ways to please you, to make you proud. One kind word, one full hug... where you pressed me to your chest and held me tight. Would have been like the sun on my heart for a thousand years. What is it in me that you hate so much?
Marcus Aurelius: Shh, Commodus.
Commodus: All I've ever wanted was to live up to you, Caesar. Father.
Marcus Aurelius: Commodus. Your faults as a son is my failure as a father. Come
Commodus: Father. I would have butcher the whole world... if you would only love me!

tino

Banned
WTF Gladiator is pretty bad R. Scott movie. I rate it below A Good Year.

I AM SPARTACUS on the other hand, its on my top 3 Kubrick movie. I love that movie. I know its not a true Kubrick movie but I love it all the same.

Gladiator by a cm.

Only because in Spartacus the acting parts with the slaves was so inferior to the scenes with the Romans. The score for Gladiator was also superior.

But if were talking about the battle scenes Spartacus >>>>>>>>> Gladiator

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Gladiator's popularity pretty much rules out any chance of a film detailing the strained relationship between Emperor Justinian and General Belisarius. Not only would the subject matter be deemed to similar to Gladiator's plot, but it seems that the classical Western Roman Empire has the affections of the masses and the Eastern Empire, commonly refered to as the Byzantine Empire nowadays is overlooked by masses.

Ratrat

I really liked both. I'd say Gladiator but I need to rewatch Sparticus. The tv show is a different thing entirely. Trashy fun mostly.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Spartacus was the most boring film I've ever had to watch in my entire life. The pacing was horrible and it was corny as hell (something Ben Hur seemingly avoids for me). So gladiator x1000. The new Spartacus tv show is great though ;).

Ben-Hur is great too.

One has Laurence Olivier, the other has Oliver reed...you can't make me choose you fucker, what kind of monster are you?

EDIT: Wait what, there's a spartacus bluray!? How is it?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Why not include the current Spartacus series? I really like Commodus in Gladiator, but Batiatus and Ashur are on a different level.

Because it'd be about as legit as putting Conan in a "10 Greatest Medieval Films" list. Kinda.

That said, Spartacus the TV show is FUCK AWESOME. I just finished Gods of the Arena after a long ass rest and I can't wait to start Season 2.

Shadybiz

Loved Gladiator, and will watch it whenever it pops on.

I admit to never having seen Spartacus, but I am interested. Will definitely put it on my list.

I did see the first 2 episodes of the Spartacus series...was not impressed.

Gladiator doesn't hold up IMO; I liked it as a kid, but in hindsight it's a rather cheesy blockbuster with a spotty script. On the other hand Spartacus has a truly great script, features stellar performances from some of the greatest Hollywood actors, and is one of the best "epic" films ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom