• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speak Your Perspective: What are some unused tropes that you feel should be in games?

Ian Henry

Welcome back, everyone! It's yo boy Ian coming in the cut and I'm here to yet again bring out another Speak Your Perspective topic. So let's get it!

With that being said, what are some unused tropes you feel that are rarely used in games. What kind of unique concepts do you feel should be seen more in video games. How do you think they would impact the market. In a way that they could stand out. As ya'll know, we usually see the Sad Dad, Good vs. Evil, and Dark & Edgier tones dominate the landscape in different eras of gaming. So what do you guys feel are tropes that are unused and unexplored in video games. Spit your truths below.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll cut/paste my post from the other thread.

Not a gameplay innovation by itself, but more of an idea. Plots are always pretty lame.... good guy vs. evil.

How about for a franchise with sequels, where it rotates. For all the writers at game companies who think they are so great at stories, here's their chance to write how both sides rebuild and get back at each other, instead of sequels always being playing the good guy and somehow the evil side rebuilt themselves. But if you play as the bad side in some sequels, you get to see and play first hand how they rebuilt themselves to be powerful again.

Game #1. Good guy vs. evil

Game #2. Play as the evil side and get back at do-gooders

Game #3. Counterattack..... play as a good side again

Game #4. Both these sides are lame. Play as faction #3 out of nowhere to destroy the other two sides

Cato

Banned

Not a gameplay innovation by itself, but more of an idea. Plots are always pretty lame.... good guy vs. evil.

How about for a franchise with sequels, where it rotates. For all the writers at game companies who think they are so great at stories, here's their chance to write how both sides rebuild and get back at each other, instead of sequels always being playing the good guy and somehow the evil side rebuilt themselves. But if you play as the bad side in some sequels, you get to see and play first hand how they rebuilt themselves to be powerful again.

Game #4. Both these sides are lame. Play as faction #3 out of nowhere to destroy the other two sides

You mean like Lucasarts:

Game #1: X-Wing. You are the good guys, fly an x-wing and blow up tie-fighters.
Game #2: Tie-Fighter. You are the good guys., fly a tie-fighter and blow up x-wings

Kingxom under fire told the same story from many different perspectives and the game progressed down different paths due to wars that were won/lost

Whitesnake

Banned

So kinda like Golden Sun and its sequel?

Pagusas

Elden Member

Have you ever played Golden Sun?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You mean like Lucasarts:

Game #1: X-Wing. You are the good guys, fly an x-wing and blow up tie-fighters.
Game #2: Tie-Fighter. You are the good guys., fly a tie-fighter and blow up x-wings
Oh ya, forgot about those. Never played them as my PC back then wasn't great. Going back even farther I remember my brothers and I playing one of the Wizardry games where you played as the bad guy trying to break out, and you fought fictitious parties of fighters and mages.

We need more of this.

Anyone know of any shooters where you play the whole game as the bad guy terrorists trying to wreck havoc on the good guys? Would be a good change.

Instead of the United Nations team taking down Nazis or Mideast tyrants, how about the reverse?

Belmonte

Tekken is very similar to your idea also. Just very light on story since it is non-Netherealm fighting game.

There is an obscure JRPG on the snes called Dark Half, which makes the player switch between playing as an hero and playing as a villain. When you play as the evil side you can do things like killing villagers and controlling monsters.

Ian Henry

Tekken is very similar to your idea also. Just very light on story since it is non-Netherealm fighting game.

There is an obscure JRPG on the snes called Dark Half, which makes the player switch between playing as an hero and playing as a villain. When you play as the evil side you can do things like killing villagers and controlling monsters.

Idk about light on story. At one point in time was very much story based but now it kinda left off from that.

Belmonte

Idk about light on story. At one point in time was very much story based but now it kinda left off from that.

Yeah, I agree, but I mean in game. The characters have in deep backgrounds and those awesome CG at the ending fleshed out the setting even more, but they never tried something akin to Netherealm until Tekken 7.

Top Bottom