• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special counsel subpoenas Manafort's former attorney and spokesman

Zolo

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/politics/mueller-manafort-attorney-spokesman-subpoenas/index.html
Washington (CNN)Special Counsel Robert Mueller has issued subpoenas to a former lawyer for Paul Manafort and to Manafort's current spokesman, an aggressive tactic that suggests an effort to add pressure on the former Trump campaign chairman.

The subpoenas seeking documents and testimony were sent to Melissa Laurenza, an attorney with the Akin Gump law firm who until recently represented Manafort, and to Jason Maloni, who is Manafort's spokesman, according to people familiar with the matter.

Manafort is under investigation for possible tax and financial crimes, according to US officials briefed on the investigation. The allegations under investigation largely center on Manafort's work for the former ruling party in Ukraine, which was ousted amid street protests over its pro-Russian policies.

It's unclear what specific information the Mueller investigators believe Laurenza and Maloni may have. But issuing subpoenas to a lawyer of someone under investigation is unusual, in part because it raises potential attorney-client privilege issues that prosecutors tend to try to avoid. Maloni, as a public relations representative, doesn't have the same attorney-client privilege protections.

Subpoenas have not been sent to WilmerHale, Manafort's other most recent lawyers. WilmerHale is the law firm where Mueller worked before being appointed special counsel.

Manafort has not been accused of any wrongdoing.

Maloni declined to comment. A spokesman for Mueller declined to comment. Laurenza referred questions to a spokesman who didn't immediately comment.

Mully

They're going in hard on Manafort. It seems like Mueller is building a money laundering and obstruction of justice case.

Anyone else betting that Sater has already flipped?

I'm thinking anyone flipping is because state charges are possible and Trump's pardon power won't protect them. Why flip if you know you're old boss will just pardon you? He's not getting impeached until way more info comes out and his numbers continue to fall. The GOP has no strategic motivation to move before then.

Pardons for everybody~

Not if any of the charges are at a State level.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Hey Mueller, next you should subpoena his former employer ;)

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm thinking anyone flipping is because state charges are possible and Trump's pardon power won't protect them. Why flip if you know you're old boss will just pardon you? He's not getting impeached until way more info comes out and his numbers continue to fall. The GOP has no strategic motivation to move before then.

Didn't someone else mention that even if you are pardoned you admit guilt, which opens you up to civil charges taxes and possible restitution in cases of financial crimes. So even without state charges you may want to avoid a pardon.

I believe so, from what I've read the Supreme Court has ruled acceptance of a pardon is a tacit admission of guilt

If the lawyers were correct when describing the Sheriff's Pardon, that is 100% accurate.

makes me think. so what happens if Muellers investigation triggers pardons for all. with out formally pressing charges.

then states slap everyone with the charges, does the tactic admission of guilt require a jury or is the acceptance of the pardon at the federal level considered an admission of guilty. thus technically bypassing standard court procedures?

Jag

These firms are going to fight like hell on the privilege issue. Should be a taste of things to come when it gets close to Trumps inner circle.

Maximo

giphy.gif

Come on Mueller!

Didn't someone else mention that even if you are pardoned you admit guilt, which opens you up to civil charges taxes and possible restitution in cases of financial crimes. So even without state charges you may want to avoid a pardon.

Good point.

Yeah one of the lawyers said on CNN that proper procedure dictates the person who is being pardoned must accept it first. So you can decline it if you choose.

yeah this is what I thought I saw. I think I was watching CNN too. Could have been MSNBC though.

makes me think. so what happens if Muellers investigation triggers pardons for all. with out formally pressing charges.

then states slap everyone with the charges, does the tactic admission of guilt require a jury or is the acceptance of the pardon at the federal level considered an admission of guilty. thus technically bypassing standard court procedures?

Good question. Anyone with lawyerly knowledge have some input?

Every time I read this kind of news I think nothing will touch trump. By the time they finish investigation he will be out of office enjoying retirement.

Greenymac

giphy.gif

Come on Mueller!

I don't know if it's the same person posting it every time but I love this fucking gift and please don't stop doing it.

Also back on topic, it looks like Mueller's trying to build something completely airtight so don't expect this to be a quick process unfortunately.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, there is the possibility of state charges being leveled against Manafort in New York and Flynn in VA.

Can Mueller file state charges? Or would he need to convince actual state attorneys to do it (if they would need to be convinced)?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Having watched Trump throw person after person under buses of his own driving, the calculus must be:

Will Trump pardon me even if it makes him look guilty or suspicious?

I.mean if you're relying on either Trump's personal debt and loyalty to you, or a deal cut with the FBI which seems more secure?

Having watched Trump throw person after person under buses of his own driving, the calculus must be:

[b]Will Trump pardon me even if it makes him look guilty or suspicious?[/b]

I.mean if you're relying on either Trump's personal debt and loyalty to you, or a deal cut with the FBI which seems more secure?

Has the guilty or suspicious calculus ever entered Trump's head regarding anything Russia? lol

III-V

Time for Trump to double down on NO RUSSIAN TIES (I buy them from china wink wink) and also HILLARY IS A CROOK.

Top Bottom