• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculating about a Nintendo Switch mini

entremet

I correctly predicted that bigger screens are something that consumers are have accepted. I don't see a mini being viable. The Switch is the perfect size.

Cant see them making it much smaller, 5 or 5.5inch would be my guess, though any smaller than the current system and it would probably need its own dock (sold seperately obviously) rather than be compatable with the existing one

Air

Banned
I correctly predicted that bigger screens are something that consumers are have accepted. I don't see a mini being viable. The Switch is the perfect size.

I could see them doing it for another sku. Just because consumers have accepted the size doesn't mean there's not a market for a smaller handheld (a parallel example would be the iPhone se)

Seik

Banned
What a sweet mock-up, great work OP! :)

As for if it will happen or not, not sure as a joyconless SKU would throw the whole 'click' logo out the window.

However, in a context where, let's say, 3 years from now, the Switch was a success and the messaging behind it has been fully transmitted to consumers, it could definitely happen.

As for me I would most likely not buy it though, because I love how big the OG Switch display is. :p

They could shrink the resolution alongside the screen and drop the clocks to match. It's scalable and an easy fix.

What the fuck is happening to GAF with these time warps

That would make most games incompatible without a patch.

I think they have to mantain performance to not lose compatibility. But yeah, the smaller screen might help

As a parent: there had better goddamn be. I'm not dropping $300 a pop on what's basically a home console for my kids and wife to play Pokemon on their own systems.

For people saying that it would go against the main gimmick/marketing of the Joy-Cons: 2DS sold fine.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
-Complete against Switch Branding
-Innards!?!
-Battery

From a marketing outlook to a tech outlook this is not feasible at all.

Atheerios

Like I said in the other thread, calling it a "Switch Mini" and then selling it as a standalone handheld SKU with no dock will only cause confusion.

"Wait, why can't I plug this into my TV? Why the fuck is it called a Switch if it can't be switched?"

Wait this doesn't make sense, how are you not forcing people to buy a separate dock when you're proposing a SKU with no dock? Or are you assuming this is for people who already have the Switch? I'm confused at which people you're trying to target.

It will still be able to switch. Nintendo will stay sell docks separately. A disclaimer in the box will say "Dock sold separately"

CONCH0BAR

I know I'm not really adding anything to the conversation, but I want to say I would buy the shit out of a Switch mini if Nintendo implements cloud saves.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.gif

Lylo

Looks alright and i'm sure many would like one, but personally i'd rather keep my Switch, i'm too old and i can't go back to smaller screens.

me0wish

I'd love to see a Switch mini with a clam shell design that is slightly smaller than a 3DS XL (maybe a bit thicker). The joycons feature flat analog sticks like the 3DS so you can close it.

All the talk about Switch mini makes me want the Switch Pro to be Switch XL.

Higher specs
8+ inch screen.
More storage and full sized SD.
Higher battery capacity.
No need for a dock; Mini hdmi and usb on the system.
350$

I'd actually get both.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I thought Nintendo has phased out Nintendo 3DS? I am seeing only New Nintendo 3DS and 3DS on their site.

ColdPizza

Banned
I think these analysts are completely off the mark here. First, a screen any smaller than the Switch for BOTW would be laughable. Second, the battery life would be about 20-30 minutes

TZchassis

I think that's the worst aspect of the Switch brand. What would you call a Handheld-only / smaller switch and Docked-only switch.

They did the 2DS though so I suppose they can figure out something.

"The Switch that couldn't switch"

Can see this coming in a few years but would rather have a graphics bump instead of the downgrade first.

AGITΩ

Kinda kills some of the gaming mechanics of it though. Which will lead to some games saying "Only compatible for Switch". How would you sync up joycons to this Mini if they cant attach to the unit to pair? Also how are you expected to play motion games in general with the thing?
Since its considerably smaller than the main Switch, it wouldn't even fit on the dock and you'd still have to get an addition peripheral just to make tv play a thing.

Bowl0l

Nintendo will probably follow the Sony's PSTV route.
A $100 rectangular box with HDMI out and 2x USB 3.0 port.
The twist is:
No Joycons and definitely no power adapter.

Then a stealth announcement of new 3rd party adapters working for Switch TV only. Not compatible with original Switch.

They will save tonnes of money out of this.

Luigiv

I don't know if Switch Mini is the best name but I agree that smaller, cheaper, portable only Switch is Nintendo's best option for a 3DS successor. It would fit in perfectly with Iwata's old comment about Nintendo's future handheld and home consoles being brothers in a family of systems, sharing the same architecture.

I also like the idea of an equally cheap TV only Switch based box, for those who sit in the opposite camp and don't care about portability, though that seems like a riskier proposition, given that microconsoles in the past haven't exactly set the world on fire.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
To me it makes more sense to sell a standalone console version than a handheld version. They would basically be saving costs on the dock and I guess the joycon. Still has to have the same chip right? Just downclocked.

watershed

Banned
At some point in the future I could see this happening but not any time soon. Switch needs to establish a base first. Also lots of potential issues like no motion controls, some games not compatible like Snipperclips, smaller screens possibly requiring games to scale UI and text, message confusion, etc.

Nanashrew

Banned
4 inch display would be about the size of the bottom screen of a 3DS XL, lol.

Then you gotta worry about graphics and battery life, how much the mini could push with a smaller battery and if it could compare to the standard Switch. Also a lot of other internals as well.

120v

i think the presumptive system still needs to have some form of a TV out. really important to stick with the concept IMO

a straight up portable should probably steer away from the Switch branding, despite the fact it's essentially a Switch

Malice215

Nintendo can't even keep the Switch that they have in stock, but somehow are going to produce two separate SKUs and make two separate docks and not cause confusion with people?

I would expect a cheaper Switch to come at some point, but I don't expect a version that takes out everything that makes the Switch what it is and is handheld only. A smaller version doesn't mean that it's kid friendly, especially when you can just use the Switch in tabletop mode and hand them a joycon or hook it up to the TV. Is that not easy enough?

Plus it's amazing that they were able to pack so much in the current size of the Switch. I don't see them shrinking that down drastically while maintaining the same battery life and thermals in 2 years at under $200.

Some people just don't like the Switch concept or the price and badly want to see a version that removes all of it to make it cheap.

uceenk

seems no brainer, i can see they release it 1-2 years from now

i hope it would be cheap, i'll bite at $200

smaller screen is fine, i'm already familiar with 3DS screen size

the big question is how do they handle the marketing ?, GAF i'm sure can tell the difference between these 2 products

however, without proper marketing, average Joe would potentially see these 2 products confusing af

If they wanted to keep the z triggers poking out the same as the joycons they could stick a cylinder battery along the top between them like those Lenovo yoga tabs, that would save a bit of room.

I'm guessing this happens. The Switch is not a good system for kids, and parents will want something more durable once Pokémon rolls around.

If nvidia can sell the shield for 200, Nintendo can make a cut down version for 200. No doubt about it, Nintendo will make a cheaper version.

They are a family aimed business with most of there games aimed at pre-teens and teens (Japan geographic).

llehuty

I'd love to see a Switch mini with a clam shell design that is slightly smaller than a 3DS XL (maybe a bit thicker). The joycons feature flat analog sticks like the 3DS so you can close it.
This would be the more elegant solution so far; they need to keep the detachable joy-cons so the mini is compatible with all the back catalogue of the console without issues (and mantain the attractive 2-players out of the box).

Another option might be to build a new portable only device that internally is a miniature Switch but externally has it's own visual identity. Call it something completely different but advertise it plays Switch games. Basically, it'd be a portable only, mini budget Switch without the brand confusion. Kinda' like a Sega Nomad without the, you know, brick sticking out of it.

Piers

Isn't the Switch already jammed tight with components? Seems like a tall order to shrink it even more unless the expectation is after 3+ years

Top Bottom