• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrun Community YouTuber Apollo Legend Passes Away

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Seems there has been some ongoing events with Apollo this year and he decided to take his own life. RIP.

Adding in some context thanks to TheContact TheContact :
some more info regarding his death:

Suicide and Death​

On the 31st of December 2020, Apollo Legend uploaded a 7-minute-long video to YouTube entitled "READ DESCRIPTION, VERY IMPORTANT" after being inactive for months. This video was effectively a suicide note, in which Apollo said he was about to commit suicide due to several severe and incurable physical health problems, as well as severe mental health problems. In the description of the video, he mentioned that he has scoliosis which causes his "back, hips and shoulders to ache constantly". He also mentioned that he vomits every day, and has further even worse problems that he is not comfortable talking about. In the video, he claimed that his physical health issues had been getting worse and would continue to get worse throughout his life, and that he would "rather just leave while I still have some dignity". Apollo also wrote in the description "Thank you to DarkViper and EZScape for giving me the final push that I needed", referring to two other YouTubers he had previously feuded with. This instigated further drama in the speedrun YouTube community, with people arguing about DarkViper and EZScape's level of responsibility for the suicide. However, it appears that health problems were by far the primary reason for Apollo's suicide, and the line about DarkViper and EZScape was simply a final jab from Apollo as he decided to let it all out in his final moments.

The video was promptly deleted from YouTube due to violation of the Community Guidelines (suicide note videos are against the Community Guidelines), but Apollo clearly anticipated this and left a download link in the description, so the video was still shared around and reuploaded very quickly. Soon after, various people such as @TheSpectreRep on Twitter called Apollo's local police department, after which a deputy confirmed that Apollo had been found deceased.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Rip Pour One Out GIF

Sad story all around. He definitely made mistakes, but other youtubers and their fanbase decided that they're reason enough to keep harassing him and continue to make clickbait videos about his controversies, even a year after he left the scene. Now some of those people are playing the "he was a great friend" card.

He's had a lot of entertaining videos, and he'll be missed.

TheContact

some more info regarding his death:

Suicide and Death​

On the 31st of December 2020, Apollo Legend uploaded a 7-minute-long video to YouTube entitled "READ DESCRIPTION, VERY IMPORTANT" after being inactive for months. This video was effectively a suicide note, in which Apollo said he was about to commit suicide due to several severe and incurable physical health problems, as well as severe mental health problems. In the description of the video, he mentioned that he has scoliosis which causes his "back, hips and shoulders to ache constantly". He also mentioned that he vomits every day, and has further even worse problems that he is not comfortable talking about. In the video, he claimed that his physical health issues had been getting worse and would continue to get worse throughout his life, and that he would "rather just leave while I still have some dignity". Apollo also wrote in the description "Thank you to DarkViper and EZScape for giving me the final push that I needed", referring to two other YouTubers he had previously feuded with. This instigated further drama in the speedrun YouTube community, with people arguing about DarkViper and EZScape's level of responsibility for the suicide. However, it appears that health problems were by far the primary reason for Apollo's suicide, and the line about DarkViper and EZScape was simply a final jab from Apollo as he decided to let it all out in his final moments.

The video was promptly deleted from YouTube due to violation of the Community Guidelines (suicide note videos are against the Community Guidelines), but Apollo clearly anticipated this and left a download link in the description, so the video was still shared around and reuploaded very quickly. Soon after, various people such as @TheSpectreRep on Twitter called Apollo's local police department, after which a deputy confirmed that Apollo had been found deceased.

S73v3

Banned
lol @ spitefully name dropping on suicide

I've had that shit done to me once, guy thought with his last pathetic dying breathe that he could fuck my life over.

Didn't work, One 20 min phone call and an email with some screen shots is all I needed to do to shut that down.

What a tool.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Apollo also wrote in the description "Thank you to DarkViper and EZScape for giving me the final push that I needed", referring to two other YouTubers he had previously feuded with. This instigated further drama in the speedrun YouTube community, with people arguing about DarkViper and EZScape's level of responsibility for the suicide. However, it appears that health problems were by far the primary reason for Apollo's suicide, and the line about DarkViper and EZScape was simply a final jab from Apollo as he decided to let it all out in his final moments.
Just when you think social media can't get any weirder, you've seen it all or are desensitized to news:

A speedrunner blaming other speedrunners for his suicide.

People got to get with the program. I know the net is fun and you get social aspects out of it, but in life you got to just get a job and go through life. And let's face it, speedrunners can only be speedrunners if they are spending all day and night playing the same game to shave off 10 seconds here and there. They basically view it as a job. And IMO, that is not the kind of job to go through life especially if you got mental issues to begin with.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I always noticed on twitch that speedrunners are a special group of people.

Honestly i see this guy that streams every single day the same game for about a decade now for 10 hours a day. Just wonder how u could ever manage to not get bored even once.

SuperGooey

So someone ended his own life, like no turning back, gone forever, over games?

I cannot comprehend this.
No. Apollo Legend dealt with a lifetime of depression as well as other chronic mental and physical health problems.

This is a bummer. He pretty much introduced me to the world of speedrunning. He did some shitty stuff, and namedropping two people for "pushing" him into suicide was pretty scummy, but I feel bad for the guy. He clearly had a lot of problems. :(

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reading a bit more into him, he even had a beef with the Donkey Kong dude Billy Mitchell where he did a video about him cheating and they actually had a legal dispute about it.

Who gives a shit about mullet head Billy Mitchell. The guy spends most of his time with a BBQ restaurant. Billy Mitchell claiming a DK record is that important?

Here's a big article with various stuff.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

No. Apollo Legend dealt with a lifetime of depression as well as other chronic mental and physical health problems.

This is a bummer. He pretty much introduced me to the world of speedrunning. He did some shitty stuff, and namedropping two people for "pushing" him into suicide was pretty scummy, but I feel bad for the guy. He clearly had a lot of problems. :(
You're not in your right mind when you're in the throes of the Black Dog. Lashing out is common.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I just checked his YT channel for the first time.

His most recent videos (a year ago when he said he quit) are about speedrun cheaters like he's speedrun police. And that excludes his Billy Mitchel DK video articles talk about. Guy was obsessed with speedrunning.

Vade

Damn suicide is always the saddest ending no matter the problems. Also the people bitching about him putting names in his suicide video just stop. Someone is dead that’s it.

When the gnome of YouTube in Keem has more class maybe take the hands away from the keyboard.

SuperGooey

I just checked his YT channel for the first time.

His most recent videos (a year ago when he said he quit) are about speedrun cheaters like he's speedrun police. And that excludes his Billy Mitchel DK video articles talk about. Guy was obsessed with speedrunning.
Ok? And because his youtube channel was about speedrunning, you're assuming that's why he killed himself? You don't think he had a life outside of youtube? If his youtube channel was about fishing, would you assume that he killed himself over not catching any fish?

For the record, many of his videos were either removed by him, or in the case of his suicide message video (where he clearly states that he suffers from chronic illnesses that only get worse with time), or youtube itself.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You've got to have some sort of mental illness to pursue speedrunning.

Maybe, but in this case his physical health was also a factor. Mental illness multiplies external problems you already have, so if you're dealing with daily vomiting and chronic pain you can imagine the toll that would take.

RIP

Teslerum

Damn suicide is always the saddest ending no matter the problems. Also the people bitching about him putting names in his suicide video just stop. Someone is dead that’s it.

When the gnome of YouTube in Keem has more class maybe take the hands away from the keyboard.
No

Because an act like that just sends other mobs after other people. Trying to take down others with you and ruin their life is despicable too. That has nothing to do with *class*.

We even have someone in this thread S73v3 S73v3 that nearly got his life fucked over because of a similar situation.
Should he have just taken the hit?

Last edited:

magaman

Banned

It's the coward's way out. Life sucks. We all have to deal with it despite mental, financial, emotional, marital, psychological, sexual, spiritual, familial, or professional challenges. You either fight, or you tap out. If someone chooses to wipe themselves out, that's their choice. There's only so much you can do to try and help others. If they aren't willing to be helped, then ... ?

S73v3

Banned
As expected, some edgy jokes in here. Sometimes this place can be as mature as 4chan.

Doesnt matter if the guy was a douche or not, this is sad. Guy killed himself because of online harassment, basically.

Mental ilness is no joke.
:^) I was a pretty big 4channer so.....

I remember when big tits were considered "alt hentai" and the spastic arguments over the topic, I also remember when pol was just satire.... I left cause of all the ribbing of illegal bullshit, haven't been back for like 7 years

Xmengrey

It's the coward's way out. Life sucks. We all have to deal with it despite mental, financial, emotional, marital, psychological, sexual, spiritual, familial, or professional challenges. You either fight, or you tap out. If someone chooses to wipe themselves out, that's their choice. There's only so much you can do to try and help others. If they aren't willing to be helped, then ... ?
Man had incurable mental and physical health problems fuck off dude.
People don't take their own lives out of some cowardly avoidance to get help you self righteous fuck it's not exactly fun to do especially when you don't know what it's like and your very instincts are about death aversion so the pain is so bad and inescapable that you have to go against all of this and plunge into the unknown.
Sorry this doesn't fit your childish macho man world view but some problems aren't fixable and are incredibly painful so death is the merciful option.
Unless the help is available and you willing to help said person adequately btw yeah not all help is adequate sorry STFU about suicide.

Last edited:

S73v3

Banned
People don't take their own lives out of some cowards you self righteous fuck it's not exactly fun to do especially when you don't know what it's like and your survival instincts are about death aversion.
Sorry this doesn't fit your childish macho man world view but some problems aren't fixable so death is the merciful option.
Unless the help is available and you willing to help said person adequately btw STFU about suicide.
Sorry bro, he did some name drops before he decided to become an hero.

He had issues but his last lash out of spite needs to be mocked.

Xmengrey

Sorry bro, he did some name drops before he decided to become an hero.

He had issues but his last lash out of spite needs to be mocked.
I don't really care about that mock away but the second someone just passes suicide as just wanting an easy and cowardly way out as if it's anything remotely easy as if offing yourself isn't a herculean tax in of itself is utterly deranged and disgusting.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

May he RIP.

Namedropping people in his suicide note was a scummy thing to do and I can't respect that. Specially he said pain was his reason for ending it all, why try inflict pain as your last parting action?

Banned
Whst did he do that was controversial

he once defended a literal nazi, not Twitter outrage mob """nazi""" but literally a nazi, after said nazi was banned from GDQ.

I liked his content and this was definitely a big misstep for him.

he also gave up in the fight against Billy "Confirmed Cheater" Mitchell which made a lot of his fans really disappointed in him. but it was understandable because he would have had a years long legal battle which can be very emotionally exhausting

Last edited:

dezzy8

RIP. I think suicide is a selfish act, but I totally understand, and can empathize with his reasoning.
I do agree with others in this thread about the namedropping. Don't try to ruin other people on your way out.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Nah. I plan to go to Sweden or wherever assisted suicide is legal when I'm ready to depart. I'll wait until I'm old and shit, but I'm not going to sit around being miserable. I've watched 2 close relatives die in the hospital. I'm not going out that way--I will die on my own terms.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
Nah. I plan to go to Sweden or wherever assisted suicide is legal when I'm ready to depart. I'll wait until I'm old and shit, but I'm not going to sit around being miserable. I've watched 2 close relatives die in the hospital. I'm not going out that way--I will die on my own terms.
That's *entirely* different.

magaman

Banned
People don't take their own lives out of some cowardly avoidance to get help you self righteous fuck it's not exactly fun to do especially when you don't know what it's like and your very instincts are about death aversion so the pain is so bad and inescapable that you have to go against all of this and plunge into the unknown.
Sorry this doesn't fit your childish macho man world view but some problems aren't fixable and are incredibly painful so death is the merciful option.
Unless the help is available and you willing to help said person adequately btw yeah not all help is adequate sorry STFU about suicide.
Your opinion on the matter is moot, as is mine in the grand scheme of things. People are gonna do people things all day, every day, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

People have shit to deal with in life. Tough. Keep swimming or drown, but you're a coward if you off yourself and leave others to pick up the pieces. Assisted suicide is one exception I can make here, as you're exiting in a 'respectful' way and not leaving a decomposing corpse for someone to sweep up like this dude.

"But life is hard! That's so cruel!" Aight, catch the next stop out. Bye Felicia. I've gone through and seen more hardship than you know, and came out stronger for it. So no, I don't have respect, nor do I feel sorry, for this:

While there was no cause of death released to the public, Apollo Legend had previously sent out a suicide video. In the seven-minute video, Apollo Legend revealed deteriorating mental health and medical conditions that were going to have him hospitalized. The speedrunner stated that he chose to commit suicide rather than be hospitalized.

In the confession, Apollo Legend also blamed fellow YouTubers DarkViperAU and EZScape for pushing him to the edge and past his breaking point.

Even worse, as he needlessly looped others into it. He can't handle some critical internet comments, and chooses to publicly demonize (and permanently scar) them on the way out? Dude, kiss my ass and get out of here.

Zero respect.

EDIT: Lastly, if you're trying to validate a guy's actions by mental health ... again, no. He doesn't get a free pass because of ailments. Sorry. "He can't help it" or "he's in a dark place" doesn't validate defending white supremacy, blaming others for his mortality situation, or any of the other BS he's pulled.

Last edited:
Your opinion on the matter is moot, as is mine in the grand scheme of things. People are gonna do people things all day, every day, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

People have shit to deal with in life. Tough. Keep swimming or drown, but you're a coward if you off yourself and leave others to pick up the pieces. Assisted suicide is one exception I can make here, as you're exiting in a 'respectful' way and not leaving a decomposing corpse for someone to sweep up like this dude.

"But life is hard! That's so cruel!" Aight, catch the next stop out. Bye Felicia. I've gone through and seen more hardship than you know, and came out stronger for it. So no, I don't have respect, nor do I feel sorry, for this:

Even worse, as he needlessly looped others into it. He can't handle some critical internet comments, and chooses to publicly demonize (and permanently scar) them on the way out? Dude, kiss my ass and get out of here.

Zero respect.

Get of your high horse. Everyone has a breaking point. I hope you never reach that point like he did.

magaman

Banned
Get of your high horse. Everyone has a breaking point. I hope you never reach that point like he did.
This guy was a gamer dealing with internet comments, not a beaten housewife living in fear of habitual abuse or a soldier having witnessed the deaths of children by his own hand. A generation of pussies.

Last edited:
Remarkable how people have been able to survive these "incurable mental and physical illnesses" for the entirety of human existence until we started medicating and coddling everything.

Except no, they haven't. We all have different limits to what we can take. You just haven't passed that threshold yet which is why you can act like an insufferable cunt

Last edited:

Spokker

He was suffering from medical aliments that would only get worse with age.
Hard to judge this without knowing the specific diagnosis and how often he saw his doctor. It's entirely possible that he did have these health issues, but combined with his mental health issues, led to a situation where he did not seek the help he needed. It's also entirely possible he did everything he could to help himself physically but that his condition was unable to be treated.

Instead of name dropping two people he wanted to hurt on the way out, he should have dropped some medical charts.

Troglodyte

Banned
I work around death and suffering on a daily basis. Its a shame that some people in the world take their health for granted and live in ignorance in regards to others health.

Some just don't know what its like to have chronic pain and the physical and mental toll it takes on not only the person but their family.

I also think we need more focus on mental health, not only for ones suffering from mental illnesses but also for all the people who are uneducated and pass judgment

Top Bottom