• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer on Fortnites XBO/PS4 Crossplay "I would have liked to see them leave it on"

Journey

Banned
Lol I didn't mean about cross play. Just why people still believe every he says when he he pretends to be the good guy.

So you're saying that in reality he's just a bad guy pretending to be a good guy... how do I know if you're clueless, but just pretending to know what you're talking about?

elyetis

Hah, controller players had an advantage on PC? Or was the complaint about PC players using controllers for PVE, lowering dps by 0.5%? I had a bit of PC players complaining about console players in the FFXI days.
No, the problem is ( was ? ) that people on PC using mouse + keyboard could make the game think they were using a controller, meaning they had the advantages of a mouse and the aim assist the game add to controller user.

OléGunner;249311151 said:
It was recently removed by MS request far as I can tell.

It was in the patch notes but we dont actually know the reason for the removal of cross play, as Epic deleted said notes.

Most people are hoping MS are to blame though.

Boke1879

It was in the patch notes but we dont actually know the reason for the removal of cross play, as Epic deleted said notes.

Is it enabled on PS4 to PC then?

Because yea most people will wonder why it's not on Xbox as well.

Or maybe it shows the process isn't so easy as to flip a switch even if one side. Even if one side says. " We want crossplay on all platforms."

Kayant

I mean MS would be the problem in the situation because if PC/PS4 exist then PC/Xbox should also be possible unless one platform stops it at we know that would be PC because their is no gate keeper. Also looking at things it would have likely being that it was done because no disable crossplay option existed(A requirement for crossplay with Xbox)

Saying that as snap pointed out earlier it was likely referring to cross-progress save.

Without some detailed history how crossplay was found and patched out hard to know what truly happened here.

Trup1aya

I mean MS would be the problem in the situation because if PC/PS4 exist then PC/Xbox should also be possible unless one platform stops it at we know that would be PC because their is no gate keeper. Also looking at things it would have likely being that it was done because no disable crossplay option existed(A requirement for crossplay with Xbox)

Saying that as snap pointed out earlier it was likely referring to cross-progress save.

Without some detailed history how crossplay was found and patched out hard to know what truly happened here.

Unless there is no way to separate the matchmaking into pc-xbox and pc-ps4. Doesnt this game have huge lobbies? The moment a ps4 player enters a lobby, it would become unusable for xbox users and vice versa. Sounds like a logistical nightmare so long as certain configurations aren't allowed.

belvedere

Junior Butler
It seemed like Adam Boyes used to be a good ambassador for the wants of PS fans. Who owns that title now that he's left? Or is there an effort to get this exposed to Sony?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Sony's official line on the matter is widely regarded as an outright lie, so yeah, that's definitely a company worth defending about their policy on cross play.

Ploid 3.0

No, the problem is ( was ? ) that people on PC using mouse + keyboard could make the game think they were using a controller, meaning they had the advantages of a mouse and the aim assist the game add to controller user.

Oh wow, that is messed up. Surely Bungie fixed that, if not, what a way to mess up a port.

Ploid 3.0

Seems like the crossplay situation still hasn't changed in the months it's been talked about.

Are the Japanese gamers talking about this? If I learned anything from Square-Enix and FFXI, is that to reach the Japanese corporate people at the head of the company you need to speak their language, or be their first born (become confused). Anyway, that still probably won't sway the old guys at Sony Japan. Yoshida couldn't even get them to release Demon's Souls to the west among other crazy stories with Sony Worldwide Studios when Phil Harrison was heading it.

Ploid 3.0

Some think it's because Fortnite doesn't provide a option to only play with Xbox players. Paragon, for example, doesn't offer the option to only play with PC players, or PS4 only players on the console side. PC players can't even see who are playing on console, though PS4 players can see who are on PC.

Maybe Xbox/PC cross play will be added later. It's early access, and not really launched yet.

Alienous

You can't bully or guilt a corporation into forfeiting money. Cross-platform play would need to become the more profitable decision, and it just isn't. If you aren't going to cease supporting PlayStation, and support the consoles that endorse cross-platform play instead, you are doing effectively 0 in pursuit of Sony adopting it. "So much for #4ThePlayers" means nothing until people vote with their wallets.

cakely

This is a genuine bummer. For a brief moment, we had actual crossplay between PC/PS4 and XBO, and now, in its place, we have yet another thread where the usual console warriors get to line up and tell us how much they hate Sony.

I find it interesting crossplay is apparently as simple as hitting a switch to enable heh.

Yeah, it is interesting. It seems like in the case of Fortnite it's just an issue of configuring the game servers. Makes you wonder how many other games were designed this way.

Phil just saying what most of us feel. Love his honesty. Refreshing from a executive.

I'm genuinely embarrassed for you. Consider drinking a little less of the Kool-Aid.

Trup1aya

You can't bully or guilt a corporation into forfeiting money. Cross-platform play would need to become the more profitable decision, and it just isn't. If you aren't going to cease supporting PlayStation, and support the consoles that endorse cross-platform play instead, you are doing effectively 0 in pursuit of Sony adopting it. "So much for #4ThePlayers" means nothing until people vote with their wallets.

Cross-play would be more profitable for all parties.

Longer lasting MP means longer tails at retail and more dlc sales.

Ploid 3.0

The thing is that PS4 and PS... PS2 - PS4 offers a ton of cross play. It's mostly PS and PC though. The best combination of platforms are PC + PS4 too (PC + PS4 + Xbox One via Windows), though that combination isn't an option for people that don't want a PC for gaming.

This is a genuine bummer. For a brief moment, we had actual crossplay between PC/PS4 and XBO, and now, in its place, we have yet another thread where the usual console warriors get to line up and tell us how much they hate Sony.

I thought you was about to say, "and now, in its place, we have only PS4/PC crossplay in fortnite."

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wait...

So Fortnite has cross play between PS4/PC, but not Xbox/PC because Microsoft requested it be removed?

And the pitchforks are pointed at...Sony?

Trup1aya

Wait...

So Fortnite has cross play between PS4/PC, but not Xbox/PC because Microsoft requested it be removed?

No one knows why it was removed. There was a comment in a patch note that said ms policy prevented it, but that note was redacted

Ploid 3.0

Wait...

It could have it in the final release of the game. It's still early access. It's probably still PS4/PC because they already have systems in place for PS4/PC cross play. They also may need to have a way to only play Xbox players pass Microsoft certification. The reason they passed it in the first place could be that it was not known that there was a way to play people on other platforms. And if correct that "problem" has been fixed as we know.

I would love to be able to pick between playing with PS4 or Xbox players, automatically would be preferable. The one that has the most users at the time of my search for a quick game, for the fastest pick up and play. Especially for the BR mode. Things are looking pretty pretty good for PC.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No one knows why it was removed. There was a comment in a patch note that said ms policy prevented it, but that note was redacted

Oh, so nobody knows why, except it had something to do with Microsoft. So no crossplay at all for Xbox players, while crossplay exists for PS4/PC.

And because of a Phil Spencer Tweet saying he wished it were still a thing, it's a fuck Sony thread.

That's really something. The company that's offering nothing is the good guy.

jennetics

My name is Phil Spencer and I'll say anything to make me look like the good guy

My thoughts exactly. Both sides are running a business, of course the losing side will try to get some good will from their customer base. Can't believe people fall for stuff like this on either side.

I think this situation is a bit more nuanced than most here are making it out to be. That's to be expected though since most just want a reason to throw out some hot takes and shit post. It's perfectly acceptable to be critical of Sony's continued stance on the situation as it's at the core of this issue. Anyone trying to bring up the hypothetical of what MS would do in this situation and the fact that they've done similar in the past is ignoring the fact that both are irrelevant the discussion. One company wants mp across both consoles and the other doesn't. It shouldn't matter what's in the best interest the company because I'm only worried about what's in the best interest for me. If a game can have a more robust online presence with two consoles make it happen. If Sony is so worried about losing market share if crossplay happens keep producing reasons to own their console. Exclusives should be the deciding factor at that point. People aren't gonna just leave for the Xbox if the PS4 has exclusive games they want. That's one of the sillier arguments I hear people making.

Ploid 3.0

Oh, so nobody knows why, except it had something to do with Microsoft. So no crossplay at all for Xbox players, while crossplay exists for PS4/PC.

And because of a Phil Spencer Tweet saying he wished it were still a thing, it's a fuck Sony thread.

That way goes the game. I thought the automatic finger pointing to sony was weird as well. No one knew any facts, but because it's known that Sony doesn't want PS4 users to play with Xbox users it was the knee jerk reaction that caused the meme chain.

At least tell Epic to hurry up and get Xbox/PC crossplay option in there.

This could have been the tweet:

Phil: We're working with Epic on something. ;)

How awesome would that be?

Where is Final Fantasy XIV on the Xbox One Phil???

Just want to make sure that once Switch receives FFXIV, they'll have a big enough userbase with PC + XONE players. :p

Ploid 3.0

Where is Final Fantasy XIV on the Xbox One Phil???

Just want to make sure that once Switch receives FFXIV, they'll have a big enough userbase with PC + XONE players. :p

Microsoft would probably have to pay for it at this point. They can pay for their own Xbox only server option, and get a old MMO but it's still kinda relevant these days. Could be worth it, it's not at this point for SE it seems. Especially the Xbox only server option.

I have a feeling Microsoft didn't expect FFXIV to be as popular as it is too. They were getting their Square Enix games so they didn't have to go ahead and allow it like FFXI, just to have a SE RPG on their list. Black Desert is coming though, that's a pretty good MMO ARPG.

I think this situation is a bit more nuanced than most here are making it out to be. That's to be expected though since most just want a reason to throw out some hot takes and shit post. It's perfectly acceptable to be critical of Sony's continued stance on the situation as it's at the core of this issue. Anyone trying to bring up the hypothetical of what MS would do in this situation and the fact that they've done similar in the past is ignoring the fact that both are irrelevant the discussion. One company wants mp across both consoles and the other doesn't. It shouldn't matter what's in the best interest the company because I'm only worried about what's in the best interest for me. If a game can have a more robust online presence with two consoles make it happen. If Sony is so worried about losing market share if crossplay happens keep producing reasons to own their console. Exclusives should be the deciding factor at that point. People aren't gonna just leave for the Xbox if the PS4 has exclusive games they want. That's one of the sillier arguments I hear people making.

It's not a really a nuanced situation at all. It's something that's good for literally everyone and everything except for Sony's bottom line.

Dredd97

well it's more because the ability to play ps4 vs xbox was left in by mistake, it seems epic patched it out.. and phil spencer drops a tweet to say i wish they'd kept it it.. implying that evil sony forced epic to remove it..
then hilarity ensued....

all the while knowing that MS own policy stopped cross play between xbox and pc..

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So there is actually crossplay available between PC<->PS4 but not on PC<->XB because it was removed due to MS policy(?)
That's hilarious/rich for a company beating that crossplay drum these days.

molnizzle

Nobody is denying that sony's stance is bad but youre ignoring the facts here and playing into the marketing team's hands. Fortite actually has ps4 pc crossplay, something that ms turned down with xbox pc and was patched out launch.
Its evident neither want to play ball with each other if it comes at the expense of their internal policies that we no nothing of.

They didn't "turn down" Xbox-PC. PC-PS4 is only player pool. Xbox is another. Epic doesn't have it set up like Rocket League where you can mix and match.

You know what I would have like to see left on? Crossplay between xbox and PC.
MS or Epic should clarify that so balls can't be taken off sony's court.

TIL any company can make their game crossplay, they need to remove it only when a platform holder complains, there's no technical barrier ie no switch that needs to be turned on a platform holder's side

Trup1aya

Phil is such a swell guy

Redacted because you don't throw a business partner under the bus

It's not throwing them under a bus if they are following MS guidelines.

No one had a problem saying MS was the culprit all those years when MS rejected crossplay. Tim Sweeney trashes MS every chance be gets. Business continues.

LNBL

Yup it's bad for your health. So let's say Sony does agree to cross-play you better be satisfied. I don't want the to a single thread when Phil says "I would love to play Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted on my Xbox..." lol! We got to draw the line somewhere!
That comparison doesn't even hold up, cross play is something different than playing sony exclusive games on an Xbox.

Kayant

Unless there is no way to separate the matchmaking into pc-xbox and pc-ps4.
Not sure tbh but from my limited understanding/searching if it was working like with paragon(Not user option to disable it) then wouldn't be a way to disable it hence where MS comes into play with their requirement for crossplay.
Doesnt this game have huge lobbies?
The moment a ps4 player enters a lobby, it would become unusable for xbox users and vice versa. Sounds like a logistical nightmare so long as certain configurations aren't allowed.
Yes which is why depending on the devs situation one console manufacturer can be a hindrance to them implementing it fully across all platfroms because they each have their requirements to met.

LNBL

I'm genuinely embarrassed for you. Consider drinking a little less of the Kool-Aid.

I'm laughing at people that are berating or laughing at others for believe Phil Spencer is capable of making genuine remarks. Im glad none of you are in those positions in the industry.

Head.spawn

Wow, I didn't know that people had opinions of Broforce like this. I thought that the port was the main problem.

Anyway, I'm going to drop the indie clause thing because we'll go round in circles.

I'd buy it if it were on Xbone.

That is an atrocious port though. Two years of still being broken is unacceptable though, it's not surprising people might be a bit apprehensive now.

I wonder if people in marketing see threads like this and get pissed off at how much they have to pay for astroturfing.

All aboard the fuck Sony train. They ran out of excuses and started spewing bullshit a while ago. Everyone but them is on board, and even Sony shareholders have hypothetical arguments at best as to why this would hurt them in the short term. It's all upside for everyone in the long-term.

Top Bottom