• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 trailer reaches 6.2 Million views in 11 hours

Robb

Gold Member
Does stuff like this even matter? I’m sure something like Zelda’s trailers had way less views (and likely even less than the first Spider-Man game’s trailer) and it sold 10M in 3 days.

Don’t really understand the fascination with views.

Ulysses 31

Does stuff like this even matter? I’m sure something like Zelda’s trailers had way less views (and likely even less than the first Spider-Man game’s trailer) and it sold 10M in 3 days.

Don’t really understand the fascination with views.
Affirmation for people's favorite brand.

Fake

Is just like the Pokemon. The franchise name elevate the popularity. Spider-Man is a huge franchise with high popularity. This have nothing to do with the game quality overal.
What next? Gonna show the Pokemon Scarlet/Violet Youtube trailer views to defend the abysmal state of the game?

People are really touched by the critic. Is not the end of the world guys. Stop being snowflakes.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Is just like the Pokemon. The franchise name elevate the popularity. Spider-Man is a huge franchise with high popularity. This have nothing to do with the game quality overal.
What next? Gonna show the Pokemon Scarlet/Violet Youtube trailer views to defend the abysmal state of the game?

People are really touched by the critic. Is not the end of the world guys. Stop being snowflakes.
If that's the case then why did Spider-Man never do well under Activision? The interest in this game and high sells of the previous two are because of their quality. No one cared about the average at best Activision games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the criticism I think it's going to do well both in sales and critically. Might not be a 90+ title but it still should be a good experience. It's definitely something that's going to push PS5s this holiday season.

Ronin_7

Despite the criticism I think it's going to do well both in sales and critically. Might not be a 90+ title but it still should be a good experience. It's definitely something that's going to push PS5s this holiday season.
Criticism? 99.9% are crazy about the game, loud minorities won't hurt a bit.

Spitfire098

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF
Playstation fanatics always post about how many views their exclusive games get, I'll never understand who cares!
How are the ones who don't care are the ones here early to tell you how much they don't care? Scientists are baffled by this human behavior.
Bored Come On GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
Across the Sony and Marvel youtube channels. Posting this as a reminder that when it comes to gaming, you can't purchase mindshare or hype. It has to be built on the back of great games.

Also on the back of incredibly popular IP.

Hogwarts Legacy was made by a developer without a history of making great games, but got a metric ton of hype and trailer views after each showing.

Ozriel

M$FT
It’s gonna be one of the biggest games of the year and sell a record number of PS5s. Don’t listen to the out of touch people here on GAF. I still remember when people here thought the first Spiderman was gonna bomb before it launched in 2018. The community here doesn’t represent the gaming community at large.

‘Out of touch’?
Everyone here knows it’s going to sell gangbusters. Not a single person here imagines this won’t be a monster holiday hit.

The community here isn’t that representative of the gaming community at large mainly from the popular views around GaaS games and mobile games.

Ozriel

M$FT
It only got hyped with the trailers that showed high production values

Most IP, even big IP, fails because the craftsmanship isn’t there

Just look at Avengers

Good you bring up Avengers.
The CGI announcement trailer for Avengers, uploaded by Marvel outside any major conference, has 13+ million views.

I suppose this was solely based on Eidos track record too?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah... people would have seen this in droves if it was a 360p WiiU game. Its not any indication that its a) good, or b) people are blown away by the tech on display. They watched it because its a new Spiderman game. Many on GAF being critical on the games gfx =/= being out of touch. We all saw the trailer.

Game looks crap atm. Hope they polish it up a lot by release.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good you bring up Avengers.
The CGI announcement trailer for Avengers, uploaded by Marvel outside any major conference, has 13+ million views.

I suppose this was solely based on Eidos track record too?
13+ million views lifetime since it's announcement (6 years). This game is beating that trajectory in less than 2 days.
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Watching people eat Crow on forums hasn't been this good since 2018's Spider-Man serving.

Lol @ ‘crow’

I don’t believe any sane member of this forum could have made the ludicrous claim that Spiderman 2 gameplay wouldn’t be well received.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well they didn't have anything else to watch.

sainraja

I mean, this is popular because it’s Spider-Man. The most popular comic book character of all time. It’s not because Spider-Man 2018 was the greatest video game of all time.

If anything this proves that mindshare can be piggybacked.
It can be both. We've had Spiderman games before Spiderman 2018 and other comic based games.

Pelta88

Just how much Marvel IP does Sony own / licensed? Is it Spiderman and every Villain he's ever encountered? This Kraven movie looks like another expansion of the MCU.

Last edited:
Just how much Marvel IP does Sony own / licensed? Is it Spiderman and every Villain he's ever encountered? This Kraven movie looks like another expansion of the MCU.

I've wondered this as well. Also, this movie is coming in the same month as Spider-Man 2? That's kinda a big deal. Both will benefit from each other.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Kraven is a Spider-Man villain which means Sony owns the rights to him. Movie rights at least.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Kraven is a Spider-Man villain which means Sony owns the rights to him. Movie rights at least.

I mean, Kraven is in the game too.

I've wondered this as well. Also, this movie is coming in the same month as Spider-Man 2? That's kinda a big deal. Both will benefit from each other.

It's a well executed plan. To get both the movie and game to launch around the same time is good management on both the gaming and movie front.

nowhat

I'm not going to google references, so you'll just have to take my word for it. Or not.

Basically Sony owns the cinematic (whether this applies to series as well, I don't know... maybe?) rights to Spider-Man and (some of the) associated rogue's gallery of villains/companions. The reason that this deal happened in the first place was the fact that Marvel was pretty much going bankrupt at the time.

Now the situation is obviously much different than what it was in the early 2000s, but Sony Pictures still hold the license. But apparently, Sony Pictures has to do with something with the IP every now and then or they'd lose it, which is why we've got such gems as Venom 2 and Morbius. OTOH, we got Spider-Verse ("Across" was just incredible), so it's not all bad.

Last edited:

Pelta88

I'm not going to google references, so you'll just have to take my word for it. Or not.

Basically Sony owns the cinematic (whether this applies to series as well, I don't know... maybe?) rights to Spider-Man and (some of the) associated rogue's gallery of villains/companions. The reason that this deal happened in the first place was the fact that Marvel was pretty much going bankrupt at the time.

Now the situation is obviously much different than what it was in the early 2000s, but Sony Pictures still hold the license. But apparently, Sony Pictures has to do with something with the IP every now and then or they'd lose it, which is why we've got such gems as Venom 2 and Morbius. OTOH, we got Spider-Verse ("Across" was just incredible), so it's not all bad.

I think the "use it or lose it" clause is common place in media ip. I don't know how much they purchased the license for but it was a good investment.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It's actually incredible that Sony actually are releasing both in the same month. WTH did they manage to "manage" this so well?

Top Bottom