• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spilled water on my Lenovo Yoga's keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

Am I fucked? Is there a possibility it's gonna dry out? I can't send it out as I don't think my warranty covers it.

Water won't damage your computer as long as its just water, no sugar or anything, and it is able to evaporate. You could dunk your mobo in a pool and let it dry and it will be fine.

Leave it in some rice and don't turn it on.

Courage

Thank god, I'm relieved. Should I just let it dry for a while? The keys aren't working as of now and the keyboard is freaking out (Sticky keys and volume prompts are going crazy.)

Thank god, I'm relieved. Should I just let it dry for a while? The keys aren't working as of now and the keyboard is freaking out (Sticky keys and volume prompts are going crazy.)
There are some connections getting shorted right now that are causing the errant commands (I don't really know what I'm talking about there). Turn it off. Pop off the keys before you put it in rice.

Water won't damage your computer as long as its just water, no sugar or anything, and it is able to evaporate. You could dunk your mobo in a pool and let it dry and it will be fine.

well.....if the laptop was on while he spilled it yea the mobo can get ruined if the laptop wasnt i would covering the laptop in rice and let the water evaporate and then turn the laptop on

DrSlek

let it dry out

when its dry turn it on

if it doesn't turn on then it is dead

hope this helps

I've had success with several devices using this method. If it doesn't turn on after drying out, pour distilled water over it and then put it in a bag full of rice to dry out. Usually it's the impurities left behind by water that continues to cause a device to not work. Distilled water has very few of these impurities and can be used to wash them away.

I've also heard pure alcohol can be used to do the same thing, but I haven't actually tried using it.

Courage

Is there any way I can just tell them it stopped working? They're gonna realize it when they get the PC, but hopefully they'll let it slide by then.

Depends how much water.
I did the exact same thing to my MacBook Pro 2 weeks ago. It died.

I let it dry out for a while, tried turning it on, nothin.
Brought it to Apple Store, logic board and HDD damaged.

Best of luck :p

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Is it too late if I turned it on already? It's off now.

You may be screwed if there is a short circuit.

Best course of action: don't do anything to it. wait for it to dry completely (maybe a day or 2 in rice) and see if it works again.

DrSlek

Is there any way I can just tell them it stopped working? They're gonna realize it when they get the PC, but hopefully they'll let it slide by then.

Modern laptops have a little fabric strip under the keyboard which changes colour to indicate contact with liquid. You can't hide water damage from the warranty peeps.

Courage

I've put it in rice and the backspace and mouse touchpad started working. Should I just let it off and hopefully it'll dry the whole left side?

Tc91

Just listen to everyone and leave it off you're just gonna fuck it up even more by turning it on to test it.

aku:jiki

I thought the same, but like a week ago I spilled like a quarter of a glass of clean water onto my laptop keyboard and since then, select keys (like 1-0, but not QWERTY) are totally dead. Turned it off and let it dry for about 48 hours but keys are flat out dead. Can I fix that?

wetwired

Get a big container that will fit it

fill it with raw rice

put the keyboard in it

cover in rice

leave sit for 24 hours

cover with cheese an salsa

put in the oven at 180c for 35 minutes

enjoy

kottila

There's plenty of ions in normal water to create a short circuit. If it was distilled, he would be safe.

LOL at the OP that keeps turning on his laptop after everyone keeps telling him to leave it off xD

Yea, just leave it alone for a day or so in rice. I spilled water on my M17x R2 and just left it alone in rice for a day or so and it was fine.

Courage

I mean, it's been in rice for almost 2 days. I'll leave it there for the weekend and try testing it Monday morning.

Courage

If I turn it on and the components aren't fried, would you guys think buying a keyboard and replacing it be enough?

Row

Banned
I think I got really lucky with my laptop, spilled a bunch of diet pepsi on it and panicked, turned it upside down hoping to prevent it from going into the components while with the other hand trying to wipe things off with a nearby sock. All the while it was on and plugged in, and as I was playing a game my GPU was running with the fan going.

After I managed to shut it off upside down and clean it to the best of my ability, I went back to using it maybe 1 hour later, and with no problems. ~6months later and still no issues I could trace back to that accident.

And that is why when it comes to laptops in the future, it'll be hard to give anyone but ASUS my money again

solarus

It would have to be distilled water for it to have nothing but water molecules, tap water will have ions that can carry charge.

Courage

So after a few days of not turning it on and buying a keyboard replacement, I tried replacing it and it's still not working. Only the RFTG keys work and the rest don't on the replacement keyboard. Once again, the PC works fine, and it's just the keyboard that's fucking up. What else could it be?

Courage

Holy shit, all this time I simply forgot to press down the locking strip. I spent two hours trying to figure it out.

I'm a dumbass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom