• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spirit Hunter Death Mark II - Review Thread

XnjJi88.png

Publisher: Aksys Games
Developer: Experience
Release Date: 2/15/2024
Genre: Adventure
Platforms: Switch, Steam, Playstation 5

Digitally Downloaded - 5/5
Getting right down to it, the purity of Death Mark’s horror to Japanese ghost story traditions is also what makes it so appealing. The underlying mystery in getting to know the story of each ghost provides the page-turning quality – it’s a whodunnit in a true sense – but the dark majesty the aesthetics and direction are what help it stand out as a truly creative work, however niche its audience will be.

Pocket Tactics - 9/10
Spirit Hunter: Death Mark II is a ghoulishly gripping horror visual novel that sets out to spook you at every turn. Featuring a fine blend of familiar and fresh gameplay elements, spine-chilling spooks, and heart-wrenching horrors, it’s a brilliant continuation of an already outstanding series, and a real masterclass in supernatural storytelling.

TouchArcade - 4.5/5
Regardless of whether you’re new to the series or not, Spirit Hunter: Death Mark II is essential if you enjoy horror adventure games. It has a few small things holding it back from being perfect, but I love the time I put into it on both Switch and Steam Deck. I hope the wait for the next entry isn’t as long and Experience Inc continues to deliver with each new release.

Hey Poor Player - 4.5/5
Despite treading similar territory, I still feel that Spirit Hunter: Death Mark II is an exceptional horror VN. This entry is streamlined and manages to produce quality scares and tell a haunting and memorable story across seven chapters. It features outstanding artwork, quality sound design, and even some reason to return in the form of multiple endings, gallery unlockables, and an optional extra chapter. Fans of horror need look no further – your new obsession is here.

MetaCritic:
huOn6Qm.png

Steam:
eOli7un.png

OpenCritic: N/A

Isa

Got it downloaded and ready to go, just have been procrastinating due to Helldivers and Fortnite lol. Also some Infinite Wealth. What a time to be alive. Honestly it does look great and I love the ability to roam around now. Can't wait to dig in to some ghost stories.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ok. Let’s be real. This art style is top shelf.

Do I need to play part 1 to “get” part 2?

Reactions: Isa
Ok. Let’s be real. This art style is top shelf.

Do I need to play part 1 to “get” part 2?
It is a direct sequel with a decent amount of carryover characters. I would at least read a synopsis. The way these games are designed, each chapter is its own self contained paranormal case that reveals the overall mystery bit by bit. You don't need to know every detail of every case but a summary of the major story beats would help.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It is a direct sequel with a decent amount of carryover characters. I would at least read a synopsis. The way these games are designed, each chapter is its own self contained paranormal case that reveals the overall mystery bit by bit. You don't need to know every detail of every case but a summary of the major story beats would help.
All good. I’ll play part one first.

$50 is a lot to ask though. Will wait for steam sale on part one.

Started playing it and enjoying myself quite a bit so far. To start with I'm a little surprised at the minimal mentioning of the first Death Mark game. There's a few brief asides where they recall some events in vague terms, but outside of that even when you're talking to characters from the original game they don't give much mention to the events 4 months prior. I'm neutral on this, it doesn't quite strike me as a good or bad thing, but it's interesting to think of especially remembering that in Japan this game is called "Death Bite: Shibito Magire" and doesn't carry the same direct sequel branding.

The standalone horror story Death Mark II is telling in it's first 3 or so hours is great. You've probably heard a similar haunted high school story, but the charm of these characters and the visual design for the horror scenes really elevates this even before the twists and turns I'm sure are to come. I like the new side scrolling exploration, it adds a lot to the presentation and there's still 1st person P&C scenes when they're called for. So you basically get the best of both worlds.

Changes to the gameplay I'm more iffy on. I'll wait to play a full chapter before I really weigh in on it. Suffice it to say, I feel like the new suspensive act system is a bit too simplistic compared to how you confronted spirits in the previous two games. But anyone who's played games like this know they can take their sweet time slowly tutorializing their mechanics before getting to the full level of depth things settle on for the remainder of the game (like 1~5 hours is typical).

Eager to play more and see how this mystery takes shape. I've been admiring these designs from afar for a while so it's cool to finally meet the all characters behind the designs.

Top Bottom