• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell - Celebrating 20 years of Stealth Action (remake info and concept art)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Any talk about Spies vs Mercs in that video? I attempted to shoot myself after watching the first couple of minutes.

VulcanRaven

Any talk about Spies vs Mercs in that video? I attempted to shoot myself after watching the first couple of minutes.
They do mention the old multiplayer but nothing about it being in the remake.

Concept art looks great:
splinter_cell_remake_concept_2.jpg

splinter_cell_remake_concept_7.jpg

splinter_cell_remake_concept_1.jpg

splinter_cell_remake_concept_5.jpg

splinter_cell_remake_concept_6.jpg

https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/1...art-and-details-revealed-in-anniversary-video

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, well, I'll believe it when I see it fully released.

They already baited us with Sands of Time remaster, and now they're teasing this. Don't even get me started on Beyond Good & Evil 2, which I don't think anyone is even taking seriously at this point.

Orta

Banned
Seeing those pics makes me want to replay the original.

I'm going to do it, I'm going to bloody do it!!!!

Where the fuck is my Xbox?

:messenger_pouting:

Last edited:
Looking nice so far, but the modern” audiences” rumors makes me skeptical though. Honestly, I think it will be pretty good in the end.

kiphalfton

But the question is, can Ubisoft even do linear games anymore?

I don't have much faith after the Prince of Persia Sands of Time "Remake". Yeah this looks better, but again Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft.

VulcanRaven

They already baited us with Sands of Time remaster, and now they're teasing this. Don't even get me started on Beyond Good & Evil 2, which I don't think anyone is even taking seriously at this point.
I got impression from the video that it will be a big budget remake

VN1X

Banned
See you in three years, when it will be delayed by a few months. Then another few months. And finally it will release in a broken and shoddy state and we move on to better things instead.

Seeing those pics makes me want to replay the original.

I'm going to do it, I'm going to bloody do it!!!!

Where the fuck is my Xbox?

:messenger_pouting:
You will enjoy it until the very last mission, which is the exact mission I hope they completely fix and redo in the remake.

BG&E is gonna make a Duke Nukem Forever, if it releases.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While details continue to be limited, a new job listing for Senior Character Artist[Splinter Cell] at Ubisoft Toronto has now revealed that the Splinter Cell remake will feature photorealistic graphics.

Splinter Cell Remake

Job Listing For Senior Character Artist[Splinter Cell], Ubisoft TorontoThe job listing talks about the team’s aims to deliver next-generation visuals for the classic title. One of the responsibilities for the job mentions photorealistic 3D character models.

Roni

Gold Member
That first image confirmed everything I feared about the game. The last piece of the puzzle: it's Ubi, they have a history of using the same gameplay for everything, that art is entirely reminiscent of Assassin's Creed; a Ubi IP.

This is going to feel very similar to Breakpoint and Valhalla...

RPS37

Ubisoft in desperate need of a Redemption Arc, hopefully this is it and it’s sooner than later.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The anniversary event includes an interview with creative director Chris Auty, technical director Christian Carriere, senior game designer Andy Schmoll, and associate level design director Zavian Porter, who all sat down to discuss the early Splinter Cell games’ "lighting, visuals, player agency, and everything else that made them so revolutionary".

Interestingly, it also revealed that you can beat the new Splinter Cell without a single kill thanks to new mechanics that will allow players to "de-escalate" situations.

"We want to scale that back a bit in the remake, and we want to give the player a few more opportunities to deescalate some of those situations," explained senior game designer Andy Schmoll.

"Obviously, stealth is an extremely important pillar for us, and we aim to incorporate modern design philosophies, improving the minute-to-minute stealth gameplay that was so special in the original."

"So Sam, being the ultimate covert field agent, he has an enormous array of tools and abilities, gadgets, and movements at his disposal," adds creative director, Chris Auty. "And with all of those, they aim to create these moments of tension. You know there's an enemy nearby. You know that there's a threat coming around the corner.

"And he has these tools in his toolbox that he can use to react to that stuff at a split second. If there's an enemy coming around the corner that you didn't spot in time, he can do these split jumps, get up high, and kind of avoid contact. He can plan ahead by looking under doorways and using these tools to understand where the threats and that sort of thing are.

"We want to create these moments of tension that the player will need to use those tools and gadgets to react, too."

Top Bottom