• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent Hell yes! Almost here!

Yo can we get an Official Thread up in here? I don't care if we make a new one or retitle this one, but the game is only two weeks away and I wanna get the hype train rolling! Plus, I don't know how to post pics or anything, so maybe somebody else could do the honors?

I've been waiting for this game since the last one hit. This is one of the biggest games of the year for me. The multiplayer in the previous games was so original and awesome, I think it clocks in right under Quake III and Halo 2 for "most time spent playing".

I had a chance to play it at PAX '06 a couple months ago. Very much blown away by what I got to play too. All single player, but there were 3 parts: The skydiving we keep reading about, the level in the arctic where you grab guys from under the ice, and some kind of African looking level where there's apparently a civil war going on and civilians are getting killed by the military left and right. That level in particular blew me away. Sam is trying to make his way through all this chaos and its just crazy for a Splinter Cell game. I remember seeing civilians getting lined up against walls and executed and being able to either let them die or save them if I wanted. All-out gunfights going on in the streets between rebels and military personnel and Sam is just this bad mutha thrown into the mix, but not really on either side. It had a very real and modern feel to it that made it feel like what Sam was experiencing could end up on CNN at the end of the day.

Anyway, I am mega hyped for this game and I just wanted to spread the love around and get everyone riled up since its only a couple of weeks away.

PS- What ever happened with the Splinter Cell movie? Remember the trailer on the Chaos Theory disc? Paramount was handling it, and I haven't heard anything since the trailer on CT.

Gigglepoo

I've never been into the single player SC experience, but I am Gamefly-ing this to try out the multiplayer mode. It always sounded like the coolest idea and I can't wait to give it a shot. What can I expect in the new one as far as multiplayer goes?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Havent bought a 360 game since Dead Rising. This is one of 3 on my absolutely must own list for the rest of the year. Both Single and Multi are allways great on this, and the new engine for the 360 looks really nice.

newsguy

EBCubs03 said:
I haven't played a SC game since the first.

What have I missed?

You missed Chaos Theory, the second was crap. I just saw a long video of it over at gametrailers and it looks like a high res chaos theory with some new animations. I will gamefly it though.

Giggle- The multiplayer consists of 3 on 3 versus mode. One team of spies tries to infiltrate a building to complete an objective, usually steal some files from a computer, defuse a bomb, etc. While they're going that, one team of 3 mercs tries to keep them out. The spies use non-lethal weaponry like gas, flashbangs, etc. while the mercs have assault rifles, grenades, etc. Spies get night-vision, thermal vision, and EMP vision, while mercs have motion-tracking (makes a window pop up around anything that moves), electical vision (see spies in the dark when they are using their alt-vision modes), etc. Its a really deadly cat and mouse game.

I'm not sure how its going to play out, but the impressions so far have all been very positive. The last game, Chaos Theory, had only 2 on 2 multiplayer, so the intensity should be ramped up this time. Should be interesting.

EBCubs03- A lot! The inclusion of multiplayer has made this game what it is today. Its got a huge following that probably wouldn't be there if not for the spectacular multiplayer. See what I said to giggle to get an idea.

As far as single-player goes, Sam's daughter was killed in an accident and since then, he has robbed several banks and become one of America's Most Wanted. This was done so that he could infiltrate a terrorist group and join their ranks undercover. Now, he has to follow orders from both the US Government and his new bosses in the terrorist group. The demo I played at PAX '06 has one level ending with a member of homeland security handcuffed to a pipe against a wall, as terrorists beat him for information. One of them hands Sam a gun and tell him to shoot the guy. Depending on what you did, everything in the game is supposed to change. Your orders from the US Government, news reports on television, etc. I even read later that you could get real specific about it and get different reactions from the terrorists. For example, shooting him in the head would obviously kill him, but shooting him in the arm might lead them to think that keeping him alive and torturing him might be in their better interest. That's the kind of thing that is going to set the single-player mode on fire this time.

Yeah people, I'm stoked. There's new videos up at http://www.gametrailers.com too. Check em out! Kinshasa is the level I played at PAX 06. The person playing in the video is goddamn terrible at it, but you at least get to see a lot of the level.

newsguy said:
You missed Chaos Theory, the second was crap. I just saw a long video of it over at gametrailers and it looks like a high res chaos theory with some new animations. I will gamefly it though.

I disagree. The 2nd was excellent. The single-player was not quite as good as CT, but still great. And it introduced the all-important multiplayer mode. Its a classic all the way.

newsguy

Uno Ill Nino said:
I disagree. The 2nd was excellent. The single-player was not quite as good as CT, but still great. And it introduced the all-important multiplayer mode. Its a classic all the way.

Well, to be fair I don't do the multiplayer (apart from co-op) due to cheese that ruined my experience. But I hated the psychic AI in part 2.

Top Bottom