• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

Yeah, I know — but the designs in that trailer were pretty much final, as far as I can tell. Wasn't the game in development for around three years before that trailer debuted?

It's definitely just changes in development, they probably didn't even have troy baker hired by then and that's why it's a different voice. Don't read THAT much into things

Also I didn't really like how Comstock had a different voice to Bookers, aren't they the same dude more or less? But I get why they wouldn't because you would recognise the voice too soon and connect dots. Also why call himself Comstock?

Magnus

I dig that the Sea of Doors/final chapter are saved as their own chapter to re-experience again without having to go through that final deck battle.

Going through it again now.

SGRemy

My IQ is too low to fully understand this ending lol.

So what exactly did getting smothered accomplish? No "comstock" was created by the baptism? And no booker to get into debt and make the deal?

And is it probable for booker's wife to have had Anna during wounded knee so that even if booker died, Anna would still exist?

Dammit Ken I need answers!! >,< so confusing

I dig that the Sea of Doors/final chapter are saved as their own chapter to re-experience again without having to go through that final deck battle.

Going through it again now.

Oh sweet! I did not check this. I wonder if picking different routes changes things slightly.

My IQ is too low to fully understand this ending lol.

So what exactly did getting smothered accomplish? No "comstock" was created by the baptism? And no booker to get into debt and make the deal?

And is it probable for booker's wife to have had Anna during wounded knee so that even if booker died, Anna would still exist?

Dammit Ken I need answers!! >,< so confusing

You pretty much have it. I think Anna comes post baptism though in the scenario when Booker decides not to do it at the last moment.

I loved how we kept going higher and higher the further we got.

I honestly expected us to reach the stratosphere for Comstock's area.

I like how the higher we got the darker it got too. Kind of a contrast of what should happen.
Columbia is one giant contrast though. Beautiful scenery with such a seedy underbelly

Also is Columbia one giant lie then? It's based off the fact hes a prophet and they had a miracle child, but none of it was true.

And someone please explain the Lutece brother, I don't really get how he exists

I like how the higher we got the darker it got too. Kind of a contrast of what should happen.
Columbia is one giant contrast though. Beautiful scenery with such a seedy underbelly

Also is Columbia one giant lie then? It's based off the fact hes a prophet and they had a miracle child, but none of it was true.

And someone please explain the Lutece brother, I don't really get how he exists

The male Lutece was a male version of the female Lutece from an alternate universe. From what I gather they team up to undo the Comstock/Booker events from happening. A problem they created in the first place.

The male Lutece was a male version of the female Lutece from an alternate universe. From what I gather they team up to undo the Comstock/Booker events from happening. A problem they created in the first place.

I see. Makes sense (strangely). Shit is confusing. I definitely need to play through it again.
I absolutely love it though, I'm a huge sucker for time travel.

But does that mean they can create tears too? cos they come and go a LOT. Like Batman.

I think the take-away of Rapture and Columbia was that Booker had such a nervous breakdown by the horrors of war that he chose to give in to his insanity (rather than just snapping one day) and make such marvels that could never possibly exist.

Hence he became Comstock/Ryan/Whoever Else in a bid to keep his dream of a wonderful world alive.

Magnus

An image I just snapped hastily during the ending. Two more Elizabeths stepped in from the sides that aren't in this snap; I believe the one that appeared on the right said "He's Zachary Comstock", and the one on the left said "He's Booker DeWitt."

RCrXsFV.jpg

I see. Makes sense (strangely). Shit is confusing. I definitely need to play through it again.
I absolutely love it though, I'm a huge sucker for time travel.

But does that mean they can create tears too? cos they come and go a LOT. Like Batman.

I believe they have fairly good command over the process of creating and manipulating tears. It's not natural for them though. I think there are a lot of unanswered questions surrounding them though. That's some awfully complex science to be messing with at that point in history. Even developing the science behind a city in the sky is something that shouldn't have happened. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

An image I just snapped hastily during the ending. Two more Elizabeths stepped in from the sides that aren't in this snap; I believe the one that appeared on the right said "He's Zachary Comstock", and the one on the left said "He's Booker DeWitt."

Does the one on the far left look like a version closer to the launch trailer?

iMax

It's definitely just changes in development, they probably didn't even have troy baker hired by then and that's why it's a different voice. Don't read THAT much into things

Also I didn't really like how Comstock had a different voice to Bookers, aren't they the same dude more or less? But I get why they wouldn't because you would recognise the voice too soon and connect dots. Also why call himself Comstock?

I guess they did it purely to keep the revelation from being discovered.

iMax

Yeah, noticed this too. Did a bit of theorising earlier on it :)

edit: Here are some snaps I just grabbed:

"He's Zachary Comstock..."

"He's Booker DeWitt..."

I believe they have fairly good command over the process of creating and manipulating tears. It's not natural for them though. I think there are a lot of unanswered questions surrounding them though. That's some awfully complex science to be messing with at that point in history. Even developing the science behind a city in the sky is something that shouldn't have happened. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

Complex is putting it mildly :p We could go crazy and say they're from the future though lol but it makes no sense for them to linger in the past then

Also looking into things too much but in B1 you land in water at the start, perhaps baptising you. Cool to make connections where likely none exist

this is one image that could spoil the whole ending in a split second lol. Some trolls are likely having a field day

Brinbe

hahaha, good catch on the Liz/Anna models, I totally didn't catch that. At least they put the various revisions to good use!

That's the fun of the premise. You could just play it up to them being part of an entirely different set of events in a different timeline.

I don't recall there being a heavy use of the American flag in the final version of the game.

It would make sense that there isn't because Columbia seceded from the Union.

Question: Does every song that is played through the tears get the rearrangement treatment and vice versa? Like is there a tear somewhere in the game that plays the Beach Boys version of "God Only Knows" or the Gloria Jones/Soft Cell versions of "Tainted Love?" Likewise, is there a 1910s appropriate version of Fortunate Son in the game somewhere?

Why does Booker change so much after he gets baptised? From what I understood he was a bad man and wanted to cleanse himself and when he went through with it to become Comstock he seemed to change radically. Like a religious nut spouting all kinds of crap.

It would make sense that there isn't because Columbia seceded from the Union.

Question: Does every song that is played through the tears get the rearrangement treatment and vice versa? Like is there a tear somewhere in the game that plays the Beach Boys version of "God Only Knows" or the Gloria Jones/Soft Cell versions of "Tainted Love?" Likewise, is there a 1910s appropriate version of Fortunate Son in the game somewhere?

I don't recall but I need to buy a soundtrack of all the 1910s arrangements.

iMax

Why does Booker change so much after he gets baptised? From what I understood he was a bad man and wanted to cleanse himself and when he went through with it to become Comstock he seemed to change radically. Like a religious nut spouting all kinds of crap.

It probably affected his mind. Also explains too why he designed Columbia's only entrance to be through baptism, so his people experienced the same journey as him.

OH! did anyone else get the shit scared out of them by that Siren near the end. Where you turna nd it's just BAM!! right there in your face

Magnus

Replaying now.

In this first vision of Booker's home, after being baptized by Father Witting in Columnia, you can hear the faint gurgling and sighs of a baby in the next room, for sure.

And wow, the voice outside is not Lutece's. or it's mutated by the aesthetics of the 'dream/vision'

Also, yes, it's the same priest that baptizes Booker in the river/ending.

Oh fuck yes!
Man, that fucked me up. Almost fell out of my chair.
The Boy of Silence? When you're solo and looking for Liz? Hell yeah. I audibly gasped, jumped!

I shouted at the screen "OH FUCKER" and then paused it and laughed lol. Wasn't expecting it at all

on an unrelated note, does Comstock know Booker and he are the same person? At the end he seems that way but not up until that

How did Elizabeth go from not knowing if tears are a form of wish fulfillment or alternate timeline in the beginning of the game to becoming this walking exposition machine at the end where she explains the nature of the multiverse to the player?

Also, did anyone explain the telegraph Booker receives at the beginning from Letuce? The one where it warns him not to pick number #77 from the raffle - did Letuce see into the future and knew that Booker would pick that and win, and try to warn him against it?

iMax

OH! did anyone else get the shit scared out of them by that Siren near the end. Where you turna nd it's just BAM!! right there in your face

First time I've ever screamed out loud in a game.

On a side note, are the Sirens designed to always spot you or is it possible to sneak past them? I think it was a bug, but I after a respawn, the Siren that spot me had disappeared and only the rotating spotlight remained — I walked through completely peacefully!

wwm0nkey

How did Elizabeth go from not knowing if tears are a form of wish fulfillment or alternate timeline in the beginning of the game to becoming this walking exposition machine at the end where she explains the nature of the multiverse to the player?

Because you took out the thing that was basically draining her, she kind of saw into infinity after that point.

iMax

Also, does the whole Lutece
(hope I spelt that correctly — all I see is 'lettuce')
"would have been", "will be", "has been" stuff mean anything particular other than the multiverse theory... or am I just reading too much into it?

iMax

Also, did anyone explain the telegraph Booker receives at the beginning from Letuce? The one where it warns him not to pick number #77 from the raffle - did Letuce see into the future and knew that Booker would pick that and win, and try to warn him against it?

Yeah, as she came up with the tech, and seems to know everything, I guess she can. By the way, is it explained how they keep popping up everywhere? Also, unless I missed the moment, DeWitt seems to be completely nonplussed by their supernatural presence!

The speakers in the base of the tower were draining or suppressing her power. Once it was gone she was let off the leash and once you connect minds with herself in a million universes you tend to understand things very fast I'd imagine

iMax

I shouted at the screen "OH FUCKER" and then paused it and laughed lol. Wasn't expecting it at all

on an unrelated note, does Comstock know Booker and he are the same person? At the end he seems that way but not up until that

Yeah, it's why he told Elizabeth to "ask Booker how she lost her finger".

iMax

The speakers in the base of the tower were draining or suppressing her power. Once it was gone she was let off the leash and once you connect minds with herself in a million universes you tend to understand things very fast I'd imagine

Those speakers are the same ones that appear when she meets Lady Comstock's ghost, right? I'm not certain as to what their function was in that particular instance :/

iMax

Killing Booker at the Baptism doesn't means that the Booker who decided not to even go to the baptism still exists right?

I believe it only terminated the lives of Baptised Booker (Comstock) and Baptism-Refusal Booker (Our Booker).

AFAIK, all other instances of Booker unrelated to the baptism are still in existence — presumably demonstrated by the presence of Booker in the post-credits sequence (although, this is I think post-Baptism-Refusal Booker, so I'm not sure. I'm not even sure how the post-credits sequence fits into the story chronologically...).

Those speakers are the same ones that appear when she meets Lady Comstock's ghost, right? I'm not certain as to what their function was in that particular instance :/

Yep, I think they draw out her power and can be stored and used again somehow. So Comstock drained her and used it to reanimate lady comstock.

Also that scene with old ass elizabeth where you see NYC burning (I think it was NYC) those visuals were astounding.

iMax

Yep, I think they draw out her power and can be stored and used again somehow. So Comstock drained her and used it to reanimate lady comstock.

Also that scene with old ass elizabeth where you see NYC burning (I think it was NYC) those visuals were astounding.

Yeah, I'm still completely confused about the whole NYC thing. Can anyone help explain that to me? Was the final battle of the game on the airship set above NYC? I swear I could see the Manhattan Bridge from the bow of the ship, just below the clouds...

Top Bottom