• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER TOPIC. I feel that I have been playing too many games on ps4 that are grimdark and depressing. Need to change it up. A little help?

header_alt_assets_3.jpg

I count four open mouths so this must be a happy game (ignore the guy in the top right).

MrJTeera

I do see Yakuza being recommended… while the games are ridiculous and over the top… there is nothing in any of them that isn’t depressing/violent most of the time.
Ya gotta embrace the shadow to see the light at the end of the tunnel, especially Like a Dragon.

Of all the Yakuza games, it’s the most wholesome, and it’s so fun to see character like Ichiban overcoming all those corrupt and cynical people that portrays very close to the cynicism we see everyday, giving them a second choice, a chance for redemption, ultimately making the world a better place one step at a time.

• Love
Reactions: Isa

MrA

Since yakuza is covered I'd suggest picking up the pinball arcade seasons 1 and 2, nothing takes itself less seriously than williams pinball tables(shame you can't get addams family anymore) just make sure to get pinball arcade and not zen, they censor all the cheeky bits
Transformers devastation is also great, can't fellow to down when optimus prime is spouting off overly heroic non sense and megatron is cackling like a loony Toon
And staple, earth defense force 5, sure the story (story in edf is like story in adult films, it's there but it doesn't matter) is technically grom, but you'll be too busy punching godzilla in a giant robot to care
Also katmai damacy and bomberman r are good stuff

Reactions: Isa

nowhat

Katamari Damacy Reroll. I don't think it's physically possible to play Katamari without grinning from ear to ear. And that music!

gtrwll

If you want a story heavy game without the modern depressive western tones, can’t go wrong with Trails of Cold Steel-quadrilogy. The main story is voice acted, but there’s a chunk of side quests that’s text only.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I started with Skyward Sword after 72 hours (and counting) of Dark Souls III and the soft pastels are a welcome change of overall vibe. So yeah you're not alone OP (duh)

Miles708

Oh i only play games with (at least) a glimpse of optimism, OP. Depressing games are good but I need to be in a very specific mood to enjoy them.
I'd say:
  • Yakuza (any in the series) and/or Judgment
  • The Last Guardian
  • Gravity Rush 1 and 2
  • Persona 5
  • Valkyria Chronicles Remake and Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Sakura Wars
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (there's constant optimism in there too)
  • Shenmue 1 and 2 HD
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • The first Life is Strange
  • Detroit Become Human (if you make the right choices)

JoeBudden

Horizon Zero Dawn

Although it takes place in an apocalyptic future, there's nothing depressing about it. It's full of colour, and its got a really light hearted and great story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom