• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS - Heavy Rain - Plot Discussion Thread (HERE BE SPOILERS - BEWARE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y2Kev said:
If you take the poison, do you die?

How do you save Lauren?

Nope, the poison doesn't kill you. You have to unbuckle her seatbelt after you get free and before you kick out the window, I think.

Stumpokapow said:
Is it even possible for all six to survive?

Not sure, but I'm thinking no.

TTP said:
Oh, so it must be Lauren then. Did you save her?

This was my game ending situation:

Ethan: alive
Norman: alive
Madison: alive
Shaun: alive
Lauren: dead
Shelby: dead

Yeah, everyone lived in mine except Shelby.

Y2Kev said:
If you take the poison, do you die?

How do you save Lauren?
I think so.
You gotta do some motions around her quickly before you bail out of the car (cant remember which since I fucked it up).

Is there even an ending where Shelby doesn't die?

Fuck I shouldn't have both this thread and the official one open at the same time!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Stumpokapow said:
Question;

Assuming you make everyone survive, there'll be a scene where after Madison escapes the burning Shelby apartment, she has a choice between calling Ethan to tell him the dock address, calling NAHHHHMAN to tell him the dock address, or going on her own.

Both Ethan and Norman in my game already knew the dock address. I called Norman just in case, he just said that he already knew and he was on his way.

So what is the purpose of that particular choice? Is it to give you a last ditch effort to resolve the game successfully in the event that either Norman didn't investigate properly or Ethan didn't pick the right choice in the car GPS?

On this subject, I got this choice as well even though I'm absolutely certain that Madison had never even met Norman.

For what it's worth I called Ethan since I didn't get the hangman letters for killing the drug dealer and had to make a guess at the end. Jerk didn't even answer.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Stumpokapow said:
I had Ethan, Norman, Madison, and Shaun alive and Lauren and Shelby dead (although Norman chose to try to save Shelby on the roof), and I got the "everyone lives" trophy.

Odd.

Could you explain the bolded part a little bit? In my game, Norman automatically shows up and shoots Shelby in the back while he was about to rip Madison a new one. I got the option to shoot him again but didn't do that. He dies anyway and falls down into some water pool.

Also, what "roof" are we talking here? :lol

ixix said:
On this subject, I got this choice as well even though I'm absolutely certain that Madison had never even met Norman.

Yeah Madison didn't know him in my game either and all of a sudden she's like, "Well I'll call ole Norman and tell him where shit's going down."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Yeah Madison didn't know him in my game either and all of a sudden she's like, "Well I'll call ole Norman and tell him where shit's going down."

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that a journalist investigating a crime story would know the FBI's point-man profiler on the case in question :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stumpokapow said:
I had Ethan, Norman, Madison, and Shaun alive and Lauren and Shelby dead (although Norman chose to try to save Shelby on the roof), and I got the "everyone lives" trophy.

Norman tries to save Shelby on the roof? WTF? Wow we have like totally different story branches. I need to replay this like right now.

Stumpokapow said:
I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that a journalist investigating a crime story would know the FBI's point-man profiler on the case in question :p

I agree. She's on the police beat. And her apartment says she's pretty good at her job :D

Stumpokapow said:

True and he was mentioned during the press conference, but it seemed really out of the blue for me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TTP said:
Odd.

Could you explain the bolded part a little bit? In my game, Norman automatically shows up and shoots Shelby's in the back while he was about to rip Madison a new one. I got the option to shoot him again but didn't do that.

In mine, Madison was on the ground in the warehouse with Ethan after he saves Shaun. Norman and Shelby were having a fist / trash fight on the room of the docks trash compactor conveyor belt.

Right at the end of the conveyor belt, Shelby starts to fall off and is hanging on by one hand. He asks Norman to save him. I don't believe in killing people, so I chose to save him. Immediately when you haul him back up, he basically attacks Norman again--he was just conning Norman. They fight a little more and Shelby falls for real, dying in the trash compactor.

I got a trophy called "Simple Minds" for being dumb enough to try to save him.

Y2Kev

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
True and he was mentioned during the press conference, but it seemed really out of the blue for me.
You can GO to the press conference? :eek:

DevelopmentArrested said:
Madison knows Shelby and Jayden (+ his cell number) yet she has no reason to.

She does have a reason to. What do you think she plans to do once she actually solves the case? Just write the story and walk away? She's a journalist on the police beat. I'm honestly a little shocked she didn't have a blotter in her apartment.

Stumpokapow said:
In mine, Madison was on the ground in the warehouse with Ethan after he saves Shaun. Norman and Shelby were having a fist / trash fight on the room of the docks trash compactor conveyor belt.

Right at the end of the conveyor belt, Shelby starts to fall off and is hanging on by one hand. He asks Norman to save him. I don't believe in killing people, so I chose to save him. Immediately when you haul him back up, he basically attacks Norman again--he was just conning Norman. They fight a little more and Shelby falls for real, dying in the trash compactor.

i chose to save him too on the conveyor, but Jayden let him fall, maybe i was too late in pressing the button? i was happy he disregarded my orders after it happened

Y2Kev said:
You can GO to the press conference? :eek:

Yeah! When you start Norman's chapter where he first goes to the police station do not go into his office. Follow the chief guy after you tie his tie and there'll be a room with a bunch of reporters and stuff in it and you can watch the press conference there.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Stumpokapow said:

Oh WTF, I had Madison fighting with Shelby all the time while Norman was reviving Shaun!

Your Norman was already aware of the warehouse despite Madison call right? Cos that's the only thing that differs from my playthrough (Norman didn't know until Madison told him on the phone).

How does Norman figure out the warehouse address anyway?

Robot 492

Banned
TTP said:
Odd.

Could you explain the bolded part a little bit? In my game, Norman automatically shows up and shoots Shelby in the back while he was about to rip Madison a new one. I got the option to shoot him again but didn't do that. He dies anyway and falls down into some water pool.

Also, what "roof" are we talking here? :lol
I think he's talking about the conveyor belt that Norman and Scott fight on during the last chapter. Scott is about to fall off the roof, and you have the option to save him or let him fall. I saved him at first, then the bastard tried to attack me again. He eventually fell to his death and Norman safely got away.

TTP said:
Oh WTF, I had Madison fighting with Shelby all the time while Norman was reviving Shaun!

Your Norman was already aware of the warehouse despite Madison call right? Cos that's the only thing that differs from my playthrough (Norman didn't know until Madison told him on the phone).

How does Norman figure out the warehouse address anyway?
Norman figures it out at the police station, working out the clues he discovered with ARI. Interesting that you had Madison fighting Shelby though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Norman figures it out at the police station, working out the clues he discovered with ARI. Interesting that you had Madison fighting Shelby though.

Which ones exactly? The ones I've got were the gas station recipts and the golden clock.

Wow, now I want to replay the game already. Seems like if you got the right password a bunch of new stuff opens up. Shouldn't have given up with Jayden either. I assumed since he was bleeding from the Ari so much I should stop thinking the watch would be enough.

ixix

TTP said:
Which ones exactly? The ones I've got were the gas station recipts and the golden clock.

You need to geo-analyze both to find Shelby. You were really close.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TTP said:

You've got what you need, you just need to put it together the right way. The golden watch tells him it's a cop. You geolocate the cops and get a huge bunch of red dots. You then geolocate the gas station receipts and the circle narrows down to a small circle near the dock on the map.

Only one cop is inside the circle, and Norman says "And I know he's renting a dock near the waterfront! It must be there!" and speeds off.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ixix said:
You need to geo-analyze both to find Shelby. You were really close.

No. I did that. I found Shelby's location (his house, not the warehouse) on the map. But Norman never got there cos Madison arrived before him.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Stumpokapow said:
You've got what you need, you just need to put it together the right way. The golden watch tells him it's a cop. You geolocate the cops and get a huge bunch of red dots. You then geolocate the gas station receipts and the circle narrows down to a small circle near the dock on the map.

Only one cop is inside the circle, and Norman says "And I know he's renting a dock near the waterfront! It must be there!" and speeds off.

AH! My Norman didn't know he was renting a dock. Odd.

Y2Kev

I realized how freaking brilliant it was for Cage to make it public that people could die ahead of time. You seriously go nuts trying to be perfect with the QTEs.

The broken glass shards were so freaking evil. So evil. I could not believe it.

ixix

TTP said:
No. I did that. I found Shelby's location (his house, not the warehouse) on the map. But Norman never got there cos Madison arrived before him.

He should figure it out for himself once you find out Shelby's the only one within the vicinity of the gas station who has a police watch.

Maybe something earlier in the game determines whether he can connect the dots or not.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ixix said:
He should figure it out for himself once you find out Shelby's the only one within the vicinity of the gas station who has a police watch.

Maybe something earlier in the game determines whether he can connect the dots or not.

Do you remember when Norman understands that Shelby is renting a warehouse? Cos that never occurred in my game.

X-Burner

Banned
Man the club music is so so good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IDihai5n1A

In fact, the entire club scene including Jayden's bit was awesome.

What was you guys favorite chapter in the game?
I think mine was going to that Drug Dealers House with Madison. That fight was fucking intense.

I really enjoyed the shootout at Gordi's house and the Fight with Mad Jack. It looked so damn realistic!

ixix

TTP said:
Do you remember when Norman understands that Shelby is renting a warehouse? Cos that never occurred in my game.

It happened at exactly the moment the little policeman dot appeared inside the little orange gas station radius in the ARI. He was just all like "Policeman... gas station... warehouse on the dock! Of course!"

I thought it was kind of a stretch myself, but the dude was bleeding from the eye at the time so I didn't want to go and harsh his buzz.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ixix said:
It happened at exactly the moment the little policeman dot appeared inside the little orange gas station radius in the ARI. He was just all like "Policeman... gas station... warehouse on the dock! Of course!"

I thought it was kind of a stretch myself, but the dude was bleeding from the eye at the time so I didn't want to go and harsh his buzz.

The hell? Need to replay that part. Very odd my Norman was totally unaware of the warehouse thing. He was just going to pay a visit to the policeman when I left him.

X-Burner said:
I really enjoyed the shootout at Gordi's house and the Fight with Mad Jack. It looked so damn realistic!
You know that should have been one give-away to know who the Origami killer is! I knew that Shelby murking all those dudes wasn't realistic! Him being the killer makes that scene bearable.

ixix said:

my jayden was bleeding from the eyes too but when he took ARI off it instantly went away.

FStop7

Banned
oh dear.

i seem to have failed madison.

I went to Dr. McCreepy's house and he kept offering Madison booze. I refused, because I am not a retard. Drug dealing creepy old man? He's gonna give me a rufie cocktail. Then he asked one last time, and they fucking flipped the "yes/no" buttons. So I accepted the drink, passed out, and woke up in the torture chamber.

I escaped my bonds and I was doing really well with the QTE fight against the doctor (holy SHIT is his laugh scary) and then I messed up, just once. But apparently it was the most important of all the QTEs, because Dr. Creepy proceeded to cut Madison's throat and prepare to chop her up with his power tools.

So no more Madison in my game.

Y2Kev

Man the club music is so so good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IDihai5n1A

In fact, the entire club scene including Jayden's bit was awesome.

What was you guys favorite chapter in the game?
I think mine was going to that Drug Dealers House with Madison. That fight was fucking intense.

I paused the game right before he put the drill into her leg (or tried, rather) and stopped for a while :lol

X-Burner said:

Yeah, I liked the Mad Jack fight the best. It reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom where Indy has to fight the big fucker played by the same guy.

FStop7 said:
oh dear.

I went to Dr. McCreepy's house and he kept offering Madison booze. I refused, because I am not a retard. Drug dealing creepy old man? He's gonna give me a rufie cocktail. Then he asked one last time, and they fucking flipped the "yes/no" buttons. So I accepted the drink, passed out, and woke up in the torture chamber.

I escaped my bonds and I was doing really well with the QTE fight against the doctor (holy SHIT is his laugh scary) and then I messed up, just once. But apparently it was the most important of all the QTEs, because Dr. Creepy proceeded to cut Madison's throat and prepare to chop her up with his power tools.

huhuhaha I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh. that's just fucking tragic. this game can be rather unforgiving when it comes to certain QTE moments.

X-Burner

Banned
FStop7 said:
oh dear.

That Doctor's face was so damn realistic. I honestly don't think i've ever played a game with characters that look so damn real!

I want a Sequel already :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Y2Kev said:
The broken glass shards were so freaking evil. So evil. I could not believe it.

We had some debate whether "follow the wind" meant to follow the direction the wind is blowing /to/ or to follow the direction the wind is blowing /from/.

That was a fun argument.

Y2Kev

"Unless they're in MMA or boxing, people fighting don't look very good!"
"See Jersey Shore"
:lol

We had some debate whether "follow the wind" meant to follow the direction the wind is blowing /to/ or to follow the direction the wind is blowing /from/.

So I was actually taught this skill as a boyscout, lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You know that should have been one give-away to know who the Origami killer is! I knew that Shelby murking all those dudes wasn't realistic! Him being the killer makes that scene bearable.
I thought that was kinda weird too but then I realized A) he was a cop at one point, and B) I was the one who actually got him to shoot all the dudes...I could have played the scene a bit better and have him miss a few shots. :D

So is there an ending where Norman doesn't hallucinate?

X-Burner

Banned
chubigans said:
I thought that was kinda weird too but then I realized A) he was a cop at one point, and B) I was the one who actually got him to shoot all the dudes...I could have played the scene a bit better and have him miss a few shots. :D

So is there an ending where Norman doesn't hallucinate?

Most likely there is, considering there have been rumours that there are more than 22 endings.

Is there any reason for Blake to be such an ass hole besides the fact that Jayden needed an antagonist? I mean jeez you think they would at least bond a little after HE SHOT A GUY IN THE FUCKING HEAD because Blake was such an ass hole to the suspect.

It annoyed me in the demo when you had the option to buy or trick Lauren for information. I watched others as well as myself pick "buy" because "trick" sounded a bit more evil. I thought "guilt" would have been a better word choice and hoped the full game wouldn't be as misleading. But now that I've finished the game and know who the killer is, it makes a lot more sense.

FStop7

Banned
SirFodderton said:
It annoyed me in the demo when you had the option to buy or trick Lauren for information. I watched others as well as myself pick "buy" because "trick" sounded a bit more evil. I thought "guilt" would have been a better word choice and hoped the full game wouldn't be as misleading. But now that I've finished the game and know who the killer is, it makes a lot more sense.

"Trick" is what tipped me off that Shelby was the killer. It made me suspicious that appealing to her compassion for another kidnapped child was "tricking" her, unless Shelby was involved with the killer. And then Jayden's psych profile sealed it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I must have missed a couple of things... but did Shelby basically stalk Ethan when he had his blackouts and hand him origami figures?

Also, I feel it's kind of inconsistent for Shelby to care enough to save Lauren and Gordi Sr but then go out of his way to kill Jayden or Ethan. I think it would have been more interesting if you played as Shelby during the conveyor belt fight and you had to choose between letting the good guys win or killing them yourself.

Y2Kev

Lostconfused said:
Is there any reason for Blake to be such an ass hole besides the fact that Jayden needed an antagonist? I mean jeez you think they would at least bond a little after HE SHOT A GUY IN THE FUCKING HEAD because Blake was such an ass hole to the suspect.
Cops fucking hate people messing with their chain of command.

The one scene with Jayden and the junkyard worker is really very different depending on whether or not you take the drug (and press the six buttons at once or whatever) or fail. If you fail, you have to basically go through a MUCH longer sequence with three potential branches. If you succeed, you just drag him off the jail.

Boogat

Lostconfused said:
I took it as just the stereotypical 'small town cop' getting upset a 'hot shot' FBI agent has to come in and help out. Seems to be a theme that is done over and over in TV shows and movies.

Wow reading through some of these posts there are a lot of scenes I didn't see. The number of endings and options seems pretty crazy(some endings are pretty depressing). I ended with everyone but Shelby alive, got the 4 heroes trophy thing.

I will admit to restarting a few times, usually because I didn't think a give button command would do what it did (oftentimes end the scene). But also because I just didn't like the outcome (maybe 2 times?).

I'm debating whether to jump back in and play it again, I really liked the story I ended up with but the other possible endings seem very interesting.

What was up with the epilogue with Jayden seeing little tanks on his desk? :lol Is ARI what the guy in the piano scene was referring to? Also how did Madison know Jayden's number(I didn't call it).

I feel like there are too many possibilities to even discuss, someone needs to make a massive flowchart of some kind.
Lostconfused said:
This was one of my intentional restarts, fell for the damn music cue :lol

So in my game, this didn't happen.

bardia

The amount of outcomes in this game is fucking amazing. I replayed the Madison @ the doctor's house scene 3 different times just to see what out comes I can get.

1st time I Accepted the drink like a moron got tied up and ended up killing him at the end

2nd time I refused the drink, he pours it for me anyways and then asks me one last time if I'm going to drink it or not, I refuse, he goes to get me a prescription and while he's gone I run into his bedroom and find a card that has Pacos name with the blue lagoon address and book it out of his house.

3rd time I accepted the drink, failed the QTEs and got killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom