• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Zero Time Dilemma Spoiler Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Sandfox

What I find most frustrating is that I somehow can't let go of the thought that Uchikoshi didn't just give up, but rather - for some reason - wasn't able to create the story he wanted. ZTD feels so different, which makes even more sense considering it had multiple writers (did the past games also have that?).

These games are basically just taking plot points and ideas from his older work, which is why the interview mentions people comparing it to Ever 17 to the point where he's seemingly tired of it.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.

Hylian7

I figured this thread might appreciate this, this is from Ark: Survival Evolved

3EED15F9EE1B98B53F942E7C73D86F12117E1E76

Chris R

So I just finished.

I'll say I liked the story wrap up.

Turning Brother/Delta into the good guy was okay, and finding out Delta/Phi's relationships was kinda mind blowing.

Only thing that was kinda a let down were the puzzles, well that and Q team. Could have done with other characters than Eric and Mira.

Terrific series though, glad I played them all again in the past 12 months.

Finally finished Zero Time Dilemma, and just want to say this is one of the coolest series I've ever played, and probably the most unique. The ending was plagued by many similar issues that VLR had (story has kinda gone off the rails with twists, and VLR's ending left about 500 loose threads for the finale to deal with) but overall the concept and journey were amazing across all 3 games.

Highlights for me:
-The ending shot of Delta handing Carlos his gun. Pretty perfect ending for the trilogy.
-The transporter room, the puzzle was great and had maybe my favorite music in the series. Also I didn't really blink twice at the aliens angle, seems like one of the more believable elements of the zero escape universe.
-Sean's story line. I'm glad that kid got to live a happy life in at least one timeline.
-Loved how the snail story ended up incorporating most of the characters, didn't really piece the entire thing together until the very end (I believe Mira, Eric, Akane, Sean, and Delta are all directly involved in it).
-Between the less obtuse puzzles and the fragment system, the game as a whole feels much more streamlined than the previous. Less repetitive in general, my brain went numb from dialogue a few times in prior games but not so much in this one.

I'm still lukewarm on the Q twist (as I was with the Old Sigma twist). And I do wish the epilogue scenes were animated post-credits. But overall I'm very pleased that past me decided to give 999 a try back in the days of the DS.

> Platinum trophy pops
> Goes back to flowchart to look for ! icons

...that's it? lol

I thought it'd be funny if they ended on that as a final shot but I genuinely didn't expect that it was actually the final shot. I'd be 100% down for a smaller story like 999 ending like that, but after elevating the series to the levels of absurdity found in VLR and ZTD, it's really underwhelming to end on that kind of note.

I didn't care for the game at first, but once they started to pull everything together about 1/3 through, I started to enjoy it. It's easily my least favorite, but I'm glad it exists. The storytelling and tone in these games is something that still feels pretty unique, and even when it lacks the (minor, but present) emotional core from the original, it's still something that's unlike anything else out there.

But man, those last few hours. Not a single one of the big moments landed for me at all. Phi/Delta being born and sent back to the past just fell kind of flat (I guess I never quite started caring about most of the characters), the general "manipulating events to ensure the antagonist arranges for the correct future" thing was too reminiscent of ground already covered in 999, and the Zero reveal was just dumb. Old Man Sigma was already straining suspension of disbelief, but straight-up pulling "an evil-looking old guy in a wheelchair has been just off camera for the entire game and nobody mentioned it!" is just... bad. It's not even a twist, it's just a random thing that doesn't play off any expectations set by events/characters/etc established in the story. Sure, there are a bunch of little clues, but the way it's presented, it's only a shock to the characters. Just a bewildering choice.

I was expecting it to get bugnuts awful by the end based on the way people talk about it, and I'm sort of bummed it wasn't more like that lol. It just kinda peters out.

I did enjoy it overall, but I don't think I'll return to VLR or ZTD. (Itching to play 999 again, though.)

Top Bottom