• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify |OT| All the music, all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't decide if I want 5 or 10/month plan. I don't have an unlimited data plan for my iPhone but it would be kinda nice to stream around the house.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Chao said:
Just right after I stopped using free Spotify here in Europe (not worth it for me anymore, sorry) it lands on US. If you can afford spotify unlimited I guess it's still cool, but the time limit thing and a gazillion commercials between two songs really killed it for me.

What do you mean "If you can afford it"

Do you currently buy music? Because if you buy just one album a month, you can afford Spotify instead.

Chao

McBacon said:
What do you mean "If you can afford it"

Do you currently buy music? Because if you buy just one album a month, you can afford Spotify instead.
I don't buy an album per month, so not worth it for me. Also, you are tied to that contract, if you stop paying for it you lose the access to that music, the offline mode and the ability to stream music in your smartphone.

Manager

Chao said:
I don't buy an album per month, so not worth it for me. Also, you are tied to that contract, if you stop paying for it you lose the access to that music, the offline mode and the ability to stream music in your smartphone.

I see it like this: I will always listen to music. And if Spotify goes down for some reason there will always be another service to do the same thing, giving access to the same music. It's not like Steam, where I'd loose my whole collection if it went down. But I can understand why someone who doesn't listen to music wouldn't buy Spotify, it's like me not paying for a subscription on some lady magazine. It's just not in my interest.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish there were deals out for it. Can't I just pay $60 up front for the year?

Manager said:
I see it like this: I will always listen to music. And if Spotify goes down for some reason there will always be another service to do the same thing, giving access to the same music. It's not like Steam, where I'd loose my whole collection if it went down. But I can understand why someone who doesn't listen to music wouldn't buy Spotify, it's like me not paying for a subscription on some lady magazine. It's just not in my interest.

Well, I think Spotify's biggest challenge, apart from competition, is persuading people who torrent music from using the service. I know plenty of people who look at any price tag and say no. I also know people who torrented music because of the convienence and accessibility. The people in the latter category are more likely to switch to Spotify because it generates a greater convenience and a greater accessibility. People in the former category aren't going to change their opinions regardless of what is offered...

Bboy AJ said:

Or follow other subscription models, where I could pay for a year of premium for $100 instead of paying $10 a month. It guarantees them sales for a year, and guarantees me a cheaper price.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bboy AJ said:
Speaking of this, were there ever any promos or deals in the UK or was the price always the same?

Why am I getting the crappy cover version of a number of songs on Spotify and not the original. case in point : Hotel California

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
planar1280 said:
Why am I getting the crappy cover version of a number of songs on Spotify and not the original. case in point : Hotel California
Pretty obvious why, they don't have a deal with whatever record company owns the original but they have deals with the companies that publish the cover albums.

Ikuu said:
Pretty obvious why, they don't have a deal with whatever record company owns the original but they have deals with the companies that publish the cover albums.

is this the case with others like grooveshark, rdio etc as well or is it confined to spotify as they are brand new in USA

planar1280 said:
after using spotify it seems to be a service PRIMED for purchase by the big 3: Microsoft, Apple or Google.

Microsoft's doing just fine with Zune Marketplace.

Apple's iTunes is built to do what spotify does with a flip of a switch.

Google's trying to get their cloud based thing rolling with gMusic Beta. I think the cloud drive to fill the gaps in spotify's catalog + the integration with android spells out success!

CrashPrime said:
Microsoft's doing just fine with Zune Marketplace.

Apple's iTunes is built to do what spotify does with a flip of a switch.

Google's trying to get their cloud based thing rolling with gMusic Beta. I think the cloud drive to fill the gaps in spotify's catalog + the integration with android spells out success!

even amazon could be in the running

Manager

Anyone had any luck with the Sprite invite site yesterday or today? Seems like they've stopped sending out invites, judging from the other thread.

Bboy AJ said:
Speaking of this, were there ever any promos or deals in the UK or was the price always the same?

The_Inquisitor said:
Any way to put in fav artists?

It's all in the FAQ in the OP, it's gathered from the questions from the last thread and there's a lot of helpful info in there. Answer: No promos, except for smartphone deals. Fav artist = create playlist, add one song from your favourite artist.

CzarTim

AvidNobody said:
I can't decide if I want 5 or 10/month plan. I don't have an unlimited data plan for my iPhone but it would be kinda nice to stream around the house.
You can download playlists to your phone and play them in offline mode with Premium.

Antagon

www.spotibot.com should be mentioned in the OP as well. While Spotify's music discovery tools might not be the best, Spotibot is great for that. Just enter an artist name or your last.fm profile and it'll create a playlist with similar music. And it includes lots of smaller artists while Spotify just seems to include huge names in the similar artist list.

CzarTim

Antagon said:
www.spotibot.com should be mentioned in the OP as well. While Spotify's music discovery tools might not be the best, Spotibot is great for that. Just enter an artist name or your last.fm profile and it'll create a playlist with similar music. And it includes lots of smaller artists while Spotify just seems to include huge names in the similar artist list.
It is in the OP. Under "GAF Playlist"

TangMeng

Upgraded to premium only to see I have to erase the songs on my ipod if I want to use it with spotify, which is kindof a bummer. It also sucks when songs don't play despite being listed and in the white font.

Aside from these two things I am loving it. I've transformed my iphone to a spotify machine.

Sophia

Just got my invite. I'm pretty impressed with the sound quality, but the lack of discovery features is bit... disheartening. I think the lack of discovery features is what's going to stop me from buying a premium subscription. Really need something like Pandora's radio features built in.

The albums are also sorted pretty oddly as far as Heavy Metal goes. Three of the same album, one is fully playable, one is partially playable, one is completely unplayable? Wat?

Antagon said:

This is awesome. Something like this built in would sell me on a subscription.

kottila

The only playlist you'll ever need. Three years in the work and constantly updated with new music. Over 3300 great songs, all selected with only one criteria, "no depressing stuff". Perfect for parties, gaming, car trips and anything. Genres: Rock, metal, punk, rap, ska, reggae, indie, pop ++

http://open.spotify.com/user/kottila/playlist/2sakjQVYfByOKJ3SBmlDde

P.S. Search within playlists with ctrl+F

A short introduction to the cool sound of Norwegian electronica, featuring Röyksopp, Erlend Øye, Lindstrøm, Annie, Casiokids ++

[URL="http://open.spotify.com/user/kottila/playlist/6rLw8XuVJjCFRKGpKyW8VT"[
]http://open.spotify.com/user/kottila/playlist/6rLw8XuVJjCFRKGpKyW8VT[/URL]

kottila

Marrshu said:
Some nice stuff on that playlist, kottila. :3

There are so many tracks now that it's impossible to not find anything you like on it. (or something to hate,
Amy Diamond for most people
)

Sophia

kottila said:
There are so many tracks now that it's impossible to not find anything you like on it. (or something to hate,
Amy Diamond for most people
)

:lol

Definitely considering an unlimited subscription, not so sure about premium yet. I've been waiting for something like this for awhile, but all the other services I've tried have had drawbacks (Pandora doesn't allow for selecting songs, Grooveshark is web based and questionable in legality, Zune/Rhapsody... yeah, no.)

I'm rather surprised by the selection too, they had some artists (Apulanta, for example) that I didn't expect at all.

kottila said:
The only playlist you'll ever need. Three years in the work and constantly updated with new music. Over 3300 great songs, all selected with only one criteria, "no depressing stuff". Perfect for parties, gaming, car trips and anything. Genres: Rock, metal, punk, rap, ska, reggae, indie, pop ++

http://open.spotify.com/user/kottila/playlist/2sakjQVYfByOKJ3SBmlDde

I absolutely cannot wait to explore this playlist. Now if only I can find time to have a marathon gaming session!

kottila said:
A short introduction to the cool sound of Norwegian electronica, featuring Röyksopp, Erlend Øye, Lindstrøm, Annie, Casiokids ++

http://open.spotify.com/user/kottila/playlist/1MSm19NeD40KVqYZlQ2sIK

I love Röyksopp. Can we be friends?

Marrshu said:
Curiously, is there a way to publish your Starred playlist?

Yes, if you go and edit your profile, you can choose what playlists you would like to publish, including the starred playlist.

Does anyone know if you need to have a certain amount of listens before top tracks and top albums display?

kottila

Awesome Animals said:
I absolutely cannot wait to explore this playlist. Now if only I can find time to have a marathon gaming session!

I love Röyksopp. Can we be friends?

If you've enabled spotify social you are more than welcome to befriend me (add to people list)

Marrshu said:
I don't see an option to enable Spotify social... o_O

Sidebar on the right hand side. I don't remember exactly what needs to be done though. I can tell you when I get home tonight, since I don't have Spotify on my work computer.

GCX

Marrshu said:
I'm rather surprised by the selection too, they had some artists (Apulanta, for example) that I didn't expect at all.
Apulanta has been really popular in Finland for like 15 years, Spotify's full of way more niche bands than that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can you download music from this?

My work blocks Spotify and I really wanted to check it out and thought about subscribing. Work lists it as "MP3 and Audio Download Services."

I was thinking of sending in a request to get it un-blocked because (from what I know of it) it is similar to Pandora basically.

kottila

Deadly Cyclone said:
Can you download music from this?

My work blocks Spotify and I really wanted to check it out and thought about subscribing. Work lists it as "MP3 and Audio Download Services."

I was thinking of sending in a request to get it un-blocked because (from what I know of it) it is similar to Pandora basically.

You can have them downloaded for offline accessibility (but you wouldn't need it at work, if you're always connected) and if you buy songs.

mike23

Closed the program for the first time after getting it a few days ago and I lost all my starred songs.

wtf mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom