• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify replaced Run the Jewels with instrumentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLH0

Banned
What.the.fuck?

I've had Run the Jewels saved to my phone for 6 months but playing the album just now, almost all of the tracks have been replaced with instrumental versions.

How is this possible? Has anyone had anything like this happen to them before?

aku:jiki

Spotify didn't do that, the label did. The record label wants you to be teased by instrumentals so you have to go to some other service and buy the fully-vocalized versions. Welcome to the digital age!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If your gonna keep it on your phone locally all the time, why don't you just download the album proper? It's free..

I use Spotify and Deezer for previews basically, anything I like I then get a 'proper' copy of.
Can't imagine keeping something for so long, that I clearly like, without owning it.

number47

Spotify didn't do that, the label did. The record label wants you to be teased by instrumentals so you have to go to some other service and buy the fully-vocalized versions. Welcome to the digital age!

It's a free mixtape. What are you talking about? He can just dl it

2San

What.the.fuck?

I've had Run the Jewels saved to my phone for 6 months but playing the album just now, almost all of the tracks have been replaced with instrumental versions.

Do you have access to the deluxe edition? I still have access all the tracks. I want to know if this is a region specific thing.

Courage

At least RTJ2 will also be free

M8z75DS.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The digital age where people will just youtube the album instead, and the label will go from getting less money to zero money.

OchreHand

I had something similar happen to me. A song I've had on my Playlist suddenly turned into an acapella version. Next day it was normal. I was kind of disappointed it went back to normal cause I thought it sounded cool.

TylerD

I noticed that when I tried to play it for a friend on his Spotify account. He is not a big fan of rap and I told him that RTJ was sick and all I got were instrumentals.

That is such a good album.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yea I don't feel like a dinosaur for sticking with managing and listening to my own curated music collection.

Steaming services can bite the big one.

Cbajd5

Not this, but I remember one of the songs I had in a playlist was suddenly replaced with the live version one day.

Ludovico

Signed up for Spotify a few months ago and was disappointed when I realized there were no vocals for this.

Still, Spotify has been awesome for helping me discover new music and having a decent collection of music on a device with limited storage but rock solid wifi.

Also, lol at album covers that are censored - Dark Twisted Fantasy and Rize of the Fenix

THRILLH0

Banned
This is dumb as fuck and probably the last straw for me with Spotify.

I'm more than happy to buy stuff like El Camino because that's the way the label wants to handle it but even if this is also a label decision, Spotify can go fuck themselves for straight up replacing music that's saved to my device especially without any sort of notification.

I was really high on streaming music for awhile but this is pretty unacceptable when I'm paying 12 bucks a month.

I've been out of the IOS loop for awhile. Is iTunes a valid way to build a music library these days? I heard that there's no DRM on music any more so I can just use the storefront and do whatever I want with the tracks.

Does the EULA contain any dodgy language about repealing your rights to music you've purchased?

Before you suggest Amazon I don't think it's available in Australia and I have way too little space to go back to physical media.

Futureman

Vinyl is way too mainstream now. Put it on 8-track.

some bands are SERIOUSLY releasing cassettes now haha.

But my thing is... use Spotify to find music I like, buy vinyl that comes with download codes.

I used to scoff at people in the Napster age who said it made them buy more music... but I see the way now with Spotify.

HiResDes

What.the.fuck?

Run The Jewels was offered as a free digital download when it came out, fuck Spotify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom