• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring '05 Anime Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Culex

Banned
bloke said:
Damn people you need to cut off with all the jaded know-it-all attitudes. I know I'm not counting out any of the shows until I see at least first episode, so nothing is suck/crap/shit...yet.
Oh btw. Yoko Kanno is doing music for Aquarion if anyone cares.

I agree. Too much prententious behavior going on.

I had no idea there was going to be an Ichigo 100% anime! I'm all over that. Oh I'm sorry, I guess that's another one of those *yawn* shows to some.

bloke said:
Damn people you need to cut off with all the jaded know-it-all attitudes. I know I'm not counting out any of the shows until I see at least first episode, so nothing is suck/crap/shit...yet.
When can I look at a series' website and tell exactly which audience demographic they're trying to exploit with it (like with many in that list), I generally don't find myself too interested. Sure, I'll give a lot of them a try, but I know from experience that only three or four of the new shows will last more than 5-10 minutes with me. I have to be picky to keep from wasting my time on crap. Harem shows? Shounen? Pouty goth cash-in? Count me out.

That said, Emma, Basilisk, Speed Grapher, and Eureka Seven (BONES! BONES! BONES!) look the most promising. I'll watch Tsubasa for Yuuko (<-----) alone.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
from the trailers, aquarion, karas, and eureka 7 look like definite tries for me.. will also try the maid show (romance drama anime works for me). will try the rest but not expecting much..

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Dead said:
12 Kingdoms

THAT I require (would very much appreciate) an explanation on.

watched 2 episodes. Thought the central characters were timid dumb shits. I'm not a HUGE fan of the idea of someone from the real world being transported to a world of fantasy but it has worked in the past (escaflowne) so I can't immediately dismiss it. Please explain to me why (if) I should go back and finish it.

Dragmire

I loved Scrapped Princess all the way through until the last two episodes when the ending started to show signs of being underwhelming (and it was for me). Ending is everything with that kind of plot, and it really disappointed me. That was a Bones anime, wasn't it? I definitely respect their work, nonetheless.

Pachinko

So I"ve come to the realization that seasonal anime updates are just as bad as the typical fall season in the US , 1 good show every year or 2 and everything else is garbage. Not a single one of those shows looks any good. Sticking with oh my goddess and bleach for now.

Dead

well not really...yet
slayn said:

watched 2 episodes. Thought the central characters were timid dumb shits. I'm not a HUGE fan of the idea of someone from the real world being transported to a world of fantasy but it has worked in the past (escaflowne) so I can't immediately dismiss it. Please explain to me why (if) I should go back and finish it.
I personally havent seen any of it aside from episode 1, but have seen nothing but huge praise for it. Im sure theres a few on gaf who could pitch it. Im personally waiting for the boxset which hopefully will be this year, considering the release is over now.

Chrono

Banned
A-K released some Karas stuff in their irc channel...

- ED song = AWESOME.

- Karas color single chapter comic = meh. I hope the series is much better.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
okay ill check out karas.

and damnt, i have to watch any series with yoko kanno doing hte music :D

Mugen

Banned
Ahhh nice to be back. :D

1. Scrapped Princess 0wnZ j00!.

2. This season does look dry but FnordChan's impression for each anime is preety funny. Not too bitter and not too nice either. Just right. :D

But nothing will detract me to checking out Saikano OAV movie. Saikano = awesome and this should be also.

I have been following the Ichigo 100% manga for a while and I don't mind it. It doesn't touch I's or Love Hina but it's one of those guilty pleasure mangas you just have to see. This anime for it should be suhweet! :D

Aquarion I'll check out just because it has mechs. If it has mechs, it must be previewed at least.

Eureka looks preety good and so is Emma. And I will check out Karas soon also if I get the chance.

3. I agree with whoever said this is a great time to get back to anime backlog that's been sitting in the shelf for a while.

4. Kanno 0wnZ j00 so Aquarion = guaranteed watch for me now. :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dead said:
I personally havent seen any of it aside from episode 1, but have seen nothing but huge praise for it. Im sure theres a few on gaf who could pitch it. Im personally waiting for the boxset which hopefully will be this year, considering the release is over now.
12 kingdoms really starts being interesting starting episodes 5-6. Before that it's just the characters feeling sorry for themselves. Then it just gets awesome. It's definitely one of my Top 3 anime of all time. And the french box-sets are soooo nice looking too :)
Really really if you stopped watching after 1-2 episodes, do yourself a favor and got to episode 8. If by then you are not hooked, you can stop watching completely. Such an incredible world, story and characters is really something you will never see in any other anime.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
slayn said:

It's a GREAT series! Very ambitious (I heard it's based on a book?), epic and done in a convincing serious style despite all the fantasy influences. Great characters, wonderful build-ups, fascinating world. The series is divided into smaller "arcs" so to speak, each arc about different characters and storylines kind of tied together progressively, but everything takes place in the 12 Kingdoms.

Initially, I thought it was boring...it felt like something I've seen many times before, it felt like it was going to be some generic crap about insecure teenagers fighting demons in another dimension. But it turns out a LOT more serious, epic and touching than that. Give it a few episodes...I'd say 7-8, maybe more.

It's just too bad the series stopped...I can't recall the reason, but it's still sad...it was great and had so much potential IMO. :(

Chrono

Banned
The reviews are very positive for 12 Kingdoms, but does it end? By that I mean does it cover the ending in the book? If it only covers part of the original story and was cancelled (it's only 45 episodes right? not like the usual 50-52...) then no thank you. :p

Meier

12 Kingdoms is by far one of the greatest anime of recent years.. one of my top 10 of all time probably. It's absolutely incredible.. waiting on a boxset for all 10 DVDs before I buy it though. It's not that it was cancelled, it got decent ratings... it's just they decided to stop production of it early since they didnt really know where to go from there. The books it's based off of are quite long, but it stops focusing on Yoko.

Chrono

Banned
Is the anime's ending good though? Does it leave you satisfied or force you to look into every corner of the internet for more? :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Blimblim said:
12 kingdoms really starts being interesting starting episodes 5-6. Before that it's just the characters feeling sorry for themselves. Then it just gets awesome. It's definitely one of my Top 3 anime of all time. And the french box-sets are soooo nice looking too :)
Really really if you stopped watching after 1-2 episodes, do yourself a favor and got to episode 8. If by then you are not hooked, you can stop watching completely. Such an incredible world, story and characters is really something you will never see in any other anime.
Yeah I saw those sets, but even though I can read the french subs perfectly fine, id still rather have them in English for some reason, so ill wait....

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Chrono said:
Is the anime's ending good though? Does it leave you satisfied or force you to look into every corner of the internet for more? :lol

There's no real ending per se, it's just another small story arc that ends IIRC. I mean, it's not like they intentionally leave the ending filled with riddles...but it's not a very satisfying ending either because you want to see what happens next in the world, you want to see more characters, and you want to see where everything eventually will lead (especially on a more epic scale). I assume that eventually it will all come together in a huge climax (although there is a smaller but amazing, epic climax even in the eps released now). Even though there are 12 kingdoms, they only end up showing you about 5-6 of them...

Oh, and the music is great too. :p

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Blimblim said:

Kiriku said:
It's a GREAT series! Very ambitious (I heard it's based on a book?), epic and done in a convincing serious style despite all the fantasy influences. Great characters, wonderful build-ups, fascinating world. The series is divided into smaller "arcs" so to speak, each arc about different characters and storylines kind of tied together progressively, but everything takes place in the 12 Kingdoms.

Initially, I thought it was boring...it felt like something I've seen many times before, it felt like it was going to be some generic crap about insecure teenagers fighting demons in another dimension. But it turns out a LOT more serious, epic and touching than that. Give it a few episodes...I'd say 7-8, maybe more.

It's just too bad the series stopped...I can't recall the reason, but it's still sad...it was great and had so much potential IMO. :(

Thats what I looking to read. Guess I'll try it again.

I'm always a fan of providing a 'cutoff point.' More people should talk that way. Like if you watched 5 episodes you can make a sound decision about whether you'll want to watch the rest of the series and not be missing out on a series you would like etc.

I see a disturbing lack of "gradeschool nerd meets hot alien servant" series! There must be at least 16 new series based on this tried-and-true anime storytelling tradition.

Cloudy

Banned
I can't complain as I loved Saikano but after the ending, I just don't get that trailer :eek:

PS: I just put the trailer on PSP and it looks great. Anime on this thing will work pretty good :D

Cloudy said:
I can't complain as I loved Saikano but after the ending, I just don't get that trailer :eek:

PS: I just put the trailer on PSP and it looks great. Anime on this thing will work pretty good :D

how's it not make sence? It takes place during the series....

How could it be a sequel?.... have yall even seen the show?.. Yall know how it ends right????

Boom.... bye bye earth..... boom.... HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ anybody thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee??????????????????????? NOPE.... just me and my imagination..........

Mugen

Banned
truesayian said:
How could it be a sequel?.... have yall even seen the show?.. Yall know how it ends right????

Boom.... bye bye earth..... boom.... HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ anybody thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee??????????????????????? NOPE.... just me and my imagination..........

:lol

I remember that was sad as hell but ah well. :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dead said:
Yeah I saw those sets, but even though I can read the french subs perfectly fine, id still rather have them in English for some reason, so ill wait....
Yeah same here I'd rather watch a series subbed in english than french (even if french is my primary language), especially because of the "tu"/"vous" difference that really bothers me from time to time. But still these box sets are really among the best looking I've ever seen, it's the perfect mix between a dvd set and a artbook. And I'm not saying this because I've worked for Kaze in the past ;)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mugen said:
:lol

I remember that was sad as hell but ah well. :lol
I also remember the group doing the fansub putting a big disclaimer at the beginning of an episode, saying that this was the last "happy" ep of the series and that afterwards it was just an horribly depressing ending. They were not too wrong I guess, but still it was a very good series. I don't think I want to watch again though.

madara

Anything like Cardcaptor Sakura, Saint Tail or Sugar in pipeline? I could go for some of that, though latter had abit of annoying factor.

duckroll

Blimblim said:
I also remember the group doing the fansub putting a big disclaimer at the beginning of an episode, saying that this was the last "happy" ep of the series and that afterwards it was just an horribly depressing ending. They were not too wrong I guess, but still it was a very good series. I don't think I want to watch again though.

The disclaimer was my idea actually! :D

For what's worth, just so you know, the manga is even more depressing than the anime. (Yes, it's possible)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
madara said:
Anything like Cardcaptor Sakura, Saint Tail or Sugar in pipeline? I could go for some of that, though latter had abit of annoying factor.
Well, Sakura is one of the main characters in Tsubasa Chronicle, right?

Mugen

Banned
duckroll said:
The disclaimer was my idea actually! :D

For what's worth, just so you know, the manga is even more depressing than the anime. (Yes, it's possible)

Are u from anbu or hqa duckroll? If you are from HQA, what happen to you guys? You guys just kinda disappeared just like E-F did.

bloke

madara said:
You might check Fushigi Hoshi No Futago Hime, new mahou shoujo (or is it?) from the director of Sailor Moon/Princess Tutu/Pretear/Kaleidostar... looks cute. http://futagohime.jp/

FnordChan

More trailers!

animedia02.jpg

Emma - Between this and Eureka 7, I'm officially only enthusiastic about shows that begin with the letter "e".

Koi Koi 7 - Boring fanservice crap on a stick.

Izumo - Horribly generic dating sim anime.

Zettai Shounen - On the one hand, this doesn't look half bad. On the other hand, I can't tell what the show is actually supposed to be about.

Tsubasa Chronicle - Goddamnit, there goes Mokona again.

FnordChan

Chrono

Banned
There's a subbed Eureka Seven promo/director interview out there. I can't link to it here since it has the fansub group's name on it but you can find it at the usual place.

It looks better than everything this spring, but I'm just not excited about it. I hope the 'surfing' isn't really a big theme in E7. ¬_¬

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
hmmm emma could be good, i just hope it doesnt fall into all the japanese romance story conventions

slayn said:
Thats what I looking to read. Guess I'll try it again.

I'm always a fan of providing a 'cutoff point.' More people should talk that way. Like if you watched 5 episodes you can make a sound decision about whether you'll want to watch the rest of the series and not be missing out on a series you would like etc.

No kidding. There are so many series I can think of where in hindsight I should have just quit early, and yet when I do it turns out to be something like Gungrave, which went from an embarassingly bad opener into a mostly-great show.

Back to 12 Kingdoms; it's definitely a show I thought would be a problem for some people. Yoko starts out with even less of a spine than (Evangelion's) Shinji, but trust me, it's worth sticking with it, because she grows a backbone and the series just keeps stepping up until they run out of material. Sad that it ends like that, but to be honest I'll take that incompleteness over most of the garbage attempted endings I've seen.

Kanno's running the soundtrack on Aquarion? Dammit. *Adds to list.

Chrono

Banned
Crazymoogle's back!

I just keep hearing more and more praise of 12 kingdoms that I'm thinking of just getting all the volumes and forget about the box for now. Btw, I read some where while looking for info that the 12 kingdoms team is just waiting for more materials and that they'll continue the series. I mean if it's an incomplete ending but not one they made up (like in Gantz *sob*) there's always a chance.

Edit: Just read your review. Years between the books... I guess that rules out a second season. :lol

Chrono said:
Crazymoogle's back!

Yeah. I've got a thread going with the basic details somewhere in this forum. Lots of stuff to catch up on. For instance:

-Overman King Gainer DVD! whooooooo~!

-Jungle Guu Final 9-10 is basically the single best parody of video games ever, mostly for Dragon Quest mockery but there are also Street Fighter 2+, After Burner, and even Outrun! It steps past the load-time rant and pokemon bank robbery eps.

-It depresses me to no end that 40+ eps of Keroro Gunsou remain unsubbed (even worse, unlicensed!) I guess I have to read the manga. -_-;

But anyway, I digress...

I just keep hearing more and more praise of 12 kingdoms that I'm thinking of just getting all the volumes and forget about the box for now. Btw, I read some where while looking for info that the 12 kingdoms team is just waiting for more materials and that they'll continue the series. I mean if it's an incomplete ending but not one they made up (like in Gantz *sob*) there's always a chance.

You'll be dying for eps - there are lots of cliffhangers and long developing stories - so I suppose waiting on boxes or at least a Rightstuf sale might make sense.

Will the show continue, though? I can't say it looks good. There wasn't much written material left after the point where the anime stops, and last time I looked into it progress on the books was basically nonexistent. 12K had the ratings and educational influence to be a long term series (a very good thing for series continuation), but it's been on the shelf a long time.

It's still a pipedream, but maybe just a slightly more realistic one than wishing Hotta would get back to writing Hikaru no Go.

Hey, some nice reviews you have there Crazymoogle.

I was about to go on a tirade about your "Now and Then, Here and There" grade, but ended up agreeing with it for the most part. :p

Luscious LeftFoot said:
Hey, some nice reviews you have there Crazymoogle.

I was about to go on a tirade about your "Now and Then, Here and There" grade, but ended up agreeing with it for the most part. :p

Thanks. :)

As I mention every so often, I get really angry about bad endings (I've been told overly so), especially when the rest of the series is good enough to deserve better. Dammit, if they're going to throw all of this story at me, they better know how to end it well. -_-; But if you think that is bad, I'll probably get grilled over the coals for saying anything about Sutepri. :lol

Pellham

Banned
Crazymoogle, I gotta say, your reviews are definately interesting. If you reviewed every anime out there, i'd be inclined to call you the Ebert of american anime reviewing (Ebert is notorious for being a well respected reviewer who has written negative reviews of popular movies - which you have done with your panning of NTHT and Paranoia Agent among others. :p)

BTW an off thread topic comment on your Front Mission 4 review: you state that in an RPG, the heart is the gameplay and the soul is the journey, implying that story is important in an RPG.

There's one problem, Front Mission 4 isn't an RPG, it's an SRPG, which IMO is a totally different genre, where the strategic war simulation gameplay is what matters and story is just incentive for sludging through each scenario. But I guess that's just my opinion. :p

Shouta

Those are reviews? I can see for some but some of them are just flat out blurbs =P.

Stupid server is being all bitchy to me =|

Shouta said:
Those are reviews? I can see for some but some of them are just flat out blurbs =P.

I know. -_-; Although a good half or more of them are full length, I started running out of time and had to just go with some quick blog-style stabs. There's too many shows to see and my real life job is rather time intensive - after I delayed a pair of shows so long I forgot what to think, I needed to find something faster. I still intend to write full reviews when I can, but sometimes I just realize "this show is basically Love Hina in visuals, music, and setup, so why not just cut to the chase and rage against how 23 of 26 episodes are pointless filler?"

(Or something. That was just an example. :lol)

Some are also shorter just because they were written while the show was in progress. No doubt some will be updated.

Pell, post that on the review comment and we'll discuss/fight that one. There is some merit to what you're saying though, as indicated by me putting in 100 hours on the game before complaining. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom