• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck you guys, Sony just announced Playstation VEGETA at their E3 press conference. I was watching on G4TV-HD while they demonstrated how Uncharted's power level was OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND on PSVEGETA!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I just started The Beelzebub anime after catching up with the current chapter of the manga.

Man they took way too many liberties with this show. They changed too much stuff. Why can't animation studios just stick with what was in the manga?

Quacking

Tiger & Bunny is now the best show of the season for me, after the delusion of Ano Hana, even if I still consider it a good anime.

Mandoric

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Koyomi Vampire was converted to a movie project. I'm not sure why they dumped on a second actual season given they have lots of source material (and frankly, Isin puts that shit out like R.L. Stine and they could just make more)

The Goddess of Mercy truly exists.

trejo

The Cockpit

At first I thought it was a monocle show but then the monocle turned out to be fake. Also a little bit offensive. Just a bit.

trejo

It's something that elevates you culturally, spiritually and emotionally and places you firmly above the masses of unwashed plebeians.

Or just something that's artsy fartsy. Whatever.

Softenni 08 - More fanservice, more panties, more fanservice, some struggling through tough challenges interspersed with fanservice, bath scene, Leo massage jokes again, then it ends.

Um, the plot? Well, they're at the training camp. It's a mountain, and happens to be the home of the #1 individual Softenni player in Japan, apparently. She's flat chested and kind of easily embarrassed. She is really good at soft tennis, though, and crushes them in her insane underground training course; our characters collectively manage to get through most of the challenges, but none could remotely compete individually. The other team is here too, she crushed them too. But this episode is, as I said above, as much about fanservice as it is about the challenges. But from this series, that should be expected...

The new (#1) girl has a teammate secretly filming the proceedings. She seems to prefer taking footage of the fanservice scenes, as opposed to the other teams' skills... how surprising, in this show!

The Cockpit 1-3 (all) - Axis Powers-worshipping (slightly antiwar) anime. Yes really.

In episode 1, we meet the nice, peaceful Nazis opposed to the use of a nuclear bomb (which they have, for some reason, unlike history). UGH!!! Words can't easily express how disgusting this episode is.

Episode 2 is about a kamikaze pilot and his mission to blow up an American ship. He's a hero, a rocket scientist who wanted to make a rocket to the moon (if not for the war), and a nice guy, dedicated to protecting Japan even if the mission is pointless. He succeeds of course, unlike most actual kamikaze pilots who did little damage most of the time. Somehow one Kamikaze makes an entire aircraft carrier explode. Hmm, I don't exactly think this is very realistic, and it's only slightly less awful thematically than the first episode.

Episode 3 is the least bad of the three. It's about two Japanese soldiers who try to take a motorbike back to an airbase on the island they're on. They learn partway that Americans have taken the airbase, but keep going even though they know it's completely hopeless because it's their mission. Such heroes they! Of course they die heroic deaths in the end, no thanks to those darn, sneaky Americans who shoot them before they can reach the goal.

So yeah, if you want anime that's pro-Axis, this is a good choice... or if you're sane, stay away. There are some antiwar themes in this as well, but seriously, having that be, for instance, about heroic, antiwar Nazis is pretty horribly wrong.

Gosick 18
tiff said:
Yes, you're right that until the German annexations of Austria and Czechoslovakia, another European war was considered inconceivable to the vast majority of Western Europe. Of course in real history the political leaders of Britain and France did not anticipate another war, and in fact did everything possible to avoid it even in the face of aggressive German expansionism. My impression of the situation here, though, is that the conspirators know of the next World War because either they're working to make it happen or it will be a natural consequence of their work. I'm not sure we know what the exact ambitions of the parties are. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

So I understand if you don't like stories based on conspiracy theories, but based on my understanding of the plot I think it makes sense why at least those individuals can anticipate the war.

Though it's interesting you bring up the Japanese perspective, because I think it's also entirely possible for a Japanese writer to not understand the political and social situation in Western Europe post-WWI.
First paragraph - Indeed, absolutely true about the real history. It doesn't seem that the writers of this show understood any of that. You are right about the secret societies knowing more because they're trying to cause it, but seriously, the idea that somehow it took secret societies to start WWII is so far beyond absurd that it barely deserves mention... unless the Nazis count as a secret society that is.

On the second, true my bias against conspiracy theory plots does certainly affect my opinion of it, but it is true that it's somewhat explained in the script. Just not enough for it to entirely make sense.

For the last part, yes, I think so for sure -- this just wasn't written by someone who really understood the situation in Europe in the 1920s and 30s. Japan, likely; Europe, not so much. I agree, I'm sure that had an affect, and hurts the believability of the story as we've both said.

I can understand why they let him, because it's established that he was just being manipulated because his sister was being held hostage. My bigger issue is that they all but sweep the deaths under the rug after they happen. The group seemed to get along well, and Kujo and Victorique even did everything they could to save the girl, but after the bomb scare it's like everything before that never happened. They're sitting on the front of the train laughing after they just saw someone die a minute before. Kujo even says that the Academy "put lives on the line" when the Academy's agents did not just RISK their lives but LOST them (though this may just be an issue with translation). It's totally bizarre.
So just because he did it because he was being forced to makes his murder okay? I think not... a personal excuse isn't a legal one. And anyway let the courts decide, don't do it on your own.

On the second point, I entirely agree. That they act like that, right after she died tragically, is utterly bizarre and without any explanation. It's easily the worst scene in the entire series so far, both for their lack of reaction and for letting him go.

On the last point though, I assume the reference is to the bomb, which was set up by Academy people -- they risked the lives of everyone on the train.

Reading the AS thread on Shangri-La was pretty interesting. So THIS is the show that was Gonzo's swan song. They closed after completing this anime, with 24 episodes completed. It was probably planned to be 26 episodes but the studio was already dying during the show's production, so the ending was very rushed. The show was received poorly in Japan and with the studio dying, they only sold the first few DVDs and then the remainder were canceled, leaving it as one of the few shows which never was released in it's entirety in Japan.

As for the show itself, apparently it starts off very slowly, gets pretty good in the middle, slows again three-quarters of the way through, and then it ends. They didn't exactly pull an Eva with the ending but they found themselves cut off 2 episodes before they were going to end it, and then the whole studio vanished from the face of the Earth. Overall it was ambitious beyond the means of the dying studio that animated it, and the animation and music are very good for what that's worth.

I want to watch this show just to see Gonzo's final project. Anyone with me?

fake edit: Gonzo spent a year in financial hell but is currently operating again. They have animes scheduled for 2011. So they aren't closed anymore I guess.

Dresden said:
Just watch the OP and be done with it.

Um I already did lol. It was on Youtube. It didn't tell me anything remotely interesting about the show. So in other words a typical OP animation.

If you guys liked Spice and Wolf as much as you say, you should feel at home with this show, apparently it has a bunch of economics/financial technobabble too. :3

zeroshiki said:
You guys?

I take this to mean *you* don't like Spice and Wolf?

I'm calling for torches and pitchforks.

LOL, I haven't seen Spice and Wolf. I'm planning to watch that at some point, when it comes out on Blu-ray. I don't watch DVDs anymore.

edit: Anyways, the few people who've seen Shangri-La on anidb.net gave it pretty blistering once-overs. I guess I'll be passing on it after all.

mAcOdIn

Lol I watched about 3 or 4 episodes of Shangi La when it came out and there's no way in hell it can be compared to Spice and Wolf, that's insulting.

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
LOL, I haven't seen Spice and Wolf. I'm planning to watch that at some point, when it comes out on Blu-ray. I don't watch DVDs anymore.
Spice and Wolf's blistering animation demands HD at the least. Possibly Super3DHDRemix.

Lain

Maybe it is just me, but the 10th episode of Battle Girls has a different arrangement of the ending theme, and I like it even more than before!
The episode was nice too, even in spite of so little screen time for Hideyoshi.
Unknown Soldier said:
LOL you guys. :3

So nobody can tell me about this Shangri-La thing?
It has a couple good episodes (especially in the middle, when she ends in prison again, that episode really saddened me for its content, both the shown one and the implied one), the character art is nice and I guess the OP is cool, but between average and mediocre all in all. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a big fan of Range Murata and can put up with cheese and pacing problems.

Jexhius said:
Spice and Wolf's blistering animation demands HD at the least. Possibly Super3DHDRemix.

Yeah, I'm thinking about buying one of these just so I can watch it in full HD 1080p 3D on Blu-ray 3D! :3

icVa6A.jpg

I actually watch anime on a 52" Sony HDTV, but it's one I bought about 4 years ago now so it's not 3D.

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
I actually watch anime on a 52" Sony HDTV, but it's one I bought about 4 years ago now so it's not 3D.
Well if you have a TV of that size I can definitely see why you'd want go go with BD in nearly every case.

Aren't they starting to produce animes in 3D now? I don't know what the point would be other than to inflate the production costs in an industry which is facing a financial abyss but maybe they think they can repeat the sudden resurgence in interest that Hollywood has been getting from their sudden infatuation with 3D movies.

Avatar in 3D on the huge IMAX screen was fucking batshit awesome, but that's just one film made by the technical genius named James Cameron.

Articalys

I'm still pissed that I missed all the PS3 deals last month and Sony didn't do a price drop. I can afford to wait a bit longer until I definitely need a BD player, though.

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
I don't know what the point would be other than to inflate the production costs in an industry which is facing a financial abyss but maybe they think they can repeat the sudden resurgence in interest that Hollywood has been getting from their sudden infatuation with 3D movies.
Dude, post gaming stuff in gaming, this is for off-to - hang on a second, you're talking about anime, right?

Jexhius said:
Dude, post gaming stuff in gaming, this is for off-to - hang on a second, you're talking about anime, right?

Sadly, yes.

I think one of the upcoming summer series has 3D in the logo art, which can't be just decorative.

Holy shit, I'm watching the beginning of Animelo Summer Live 2010. I don't even know what this OP that the concert is starting with (it's Rescue Fire, the OP for some JP Tokusatsu TV show) but the crowd is singing along and shit. The venue is Tokyo Saitama Super Arena and it's clearly a sold-old crowd and everybody evidently knows this song by heart. o_O

And here comes fripSide with the OP for Railgun. I really like fripSide from the OP for Koihime Musou, an otherwise completely forgettable show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom