• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I have to watch that again some day. The OP holds up incredibly well. I miss the nineties.

Indeed. I still listen to this Op song often. I listened to it this afternoon!

Mars of Destruction

That's it? That's the supposed worst anime ever?

...that was actually kind of funny. Certainly better than Precure Max Heart.

Its not all that awful considering how short it is. I mean its BAD but its not excruitating. Its a fun 20 minutes.

Yami 11

7BX0L.jpg

Yami's gotta yami

Another pointless sidestory, this time focusing on what it means to be alive, as performed by the pvc-voiced crew of a spaceship that...uh... does stuff, I guess. And shoots tentacles at people for one scene, and then never does again. Because yami. And then the drunken fox goddess stole lilith's hat. How mean. Also, that frog-princess-maid and ogre do not make a good couple. What the fuck, Deen. Eve finally appears!

So basically, this was Yami as usual. But also Yami-er than ever.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabitito 11:

This is the last show that I would expect to realistically depict what happens to the human body in the vacuum of space, but Yami continues to exceed itself in every way possible. Nothing adds that final bit of poignancy to an already-tragic death scene like a moe girl puking in her own space helmet. My lack of disgust is really all I need to prove that Mysterious Girlfriend X is already doing really horrible things to me.

I'm trying to parse the rest of the events of the episode into something logical, but it still doesn't work. I gained a new respect for frogs, and I walk away from this episode with the very sincere hope that there is no ogre sex in the next.

Looks like more fun just up ahead for me.

Totally buying E7 AO. Great show so far. No complaints.

Except this time... bunny girl!

Bunny girl Kallen is one of the wonders of the universe <3

Angel Beats 10

... pink haired girl was
paralyzed
in life? All these kids are better off dead what with such terrible lives. God damn.

Yeah this was a fucked up show all things considered.

Angel Beats 13

His donated heart was in her chest?
fucking loool

You know, I was fine with this series for the most part. Watching it I felt both sides of the fence in recent discussion had oversold their stances and I still feel the same way. Aside from the really inconsistent visuals, the show wasn't as bad as I expected. It's not particularly memorable but it's not like I regret watching it. I enjoyed some of the music, the moronic plans and associated comedic elements, and the fabulous dub.

What didn't set well with me was how unbalanced the tone was as it jumped between the idiocy of the students and the tragedy of their previous lives. Juxtaposition of these elements was never quite where it should have been. Even the level of depicted violence was uneven. Not that graphic violence bothers me but it's a bit strange when it goes from something like cartoon violence to things like
visible headshot wounds.
There seemed like there was little gradual change when trying to portray something important as well such as
how outright violent Naoi was in his introductory battle and Angel being emotionless until the very end.
I guess a sharp contrast is a cheap way to evoke an emotional response. It's a shame it was laughter for me.

I agree with you. the show is stupid, but its a fun stupid. Its entertaining and since I wasnt turned off by the style of it, I enjoyed it a lot more. Its not going on my top 20 list or anything but it was worth seeing and buying.

Eiken

Now that was bad anime. In fact, it was pretty much the distillation of everything bad in anime. It only falls short in the fetishes it failed to include.

Yes. Fuck Eiken. Mars of Destruction and Angel Beats are good shows compared to eiken.

The DVDs are here. It's time to finally check this Code Geass thing out.

Yami 1

i don't get... what?

What is up with the 'camera'?

What is going on?

This show is having a hard time deciding whether it's a hentai or not o_O.

Oh shit. We got another one. enjoy!

Even if it does end, there's always Chi's Sweet Home.

The op song is adorable. The show is adorable. Chi is adorable. ITS ADORABLE.

It involves really sharp tiaras and long, thick batons and, well, you probably don't want to know the rest.

r8fj8.gif

inb4 Caster pics

What a hilariously ugly dog. What kind of breeding program produced that hideous creature? I think somebody fucked up.

frostbyte

Kuroko's Basketball 4

Kagami on top, Kuroko on the bottom. If I was clever enough, I'd make a good seme-uke joke. :p

Glad to see they're focusing on the other characters as well. Was worried they'd focus too much on the duo and not enough on the team.

They really amped up the animation on this episode. Impressed. Can't wait for the next episode.

Based on your tastes and general opinion of things, I am 99% sure you will find it stupid. The question is whether you'll also find it entertaining. I personally love it precisely because it has a ridiculous sense of escalation along the lines of Death Note and Code Geass, so I'd probably recommend it if you're a fan of those. I think the best way to describe it is Death Note + Higurashi no Naku koro ni.

And the anime is the definitive version, but they cut out like 10 pages or something from the last chapter, so I'd say read those when you're done if you decide to watch it.

I liked Death Note, Code Geass and Higurashi precisely because they were so entertaining so Mirai Nikki sounds quite prospective.

I'll check out the anime and then the manga, thanks.

Jex

The Tatami Galaxy 4

First the Cycle Cleanup Corps, now the Library Police - are we sure this isn't some near-future dystopia?

I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the earlier episodes, perhaps because the characterization seemed a little spotty, but I loved the hilariously random touches. Like "Sudden Musical!":

Those are always fun.
Well, all these animators that they have sitting around have to draw something interesting!

Instro

The repetition wore me out for a few more episodes after that (although episode six is still totally rad from what I remember), but the conclusion is a bonanza.

Yeah the repetition of elements in the show slowly got on my nerves as it progressed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mysterious Girlfriend X 04
m8OzG.jpg

Before I started the episode up I had to ask myself if I should be eating while I watch this. During the first few minutes of the episode I had this look on my face though. Way better than last week. I'm pretty sure if this show isn't presenting new ideas I'm nowhere near as warm to it. Fortunately this episode felt very fresh as far as content goes, and that doesn't look like it'll be a problem next week either.
dMHqi.jpg

Faces were more hyper expressive than usual this episode, and between those and the dream sequences the show winds up not feeling as drab as it should visually. The girl bonding stuff was pretty good, even though it fell victim to the slow pace of the show around the middle, but it felt appropriate for Urabe to be so closed off from others. It was nice to have something more conclusive as the episode cap. Sometimes the show feels like it goes nowhere and isn't able to wrap anything up, but here we get a smaller story that fits nicely inside an episode.

cajunator

Banned
Sankarea 01

OMG. Sanka Rea is [redacted] as hell. This is an interesting idea for a show.
This kid REALLY loves zombies. He's like Haruhi, except he will only date zombies. good luck with that, kid. But in true anime fashion, the unthinkable happens...

Also, this show really doesn't look like Deen at all. It's pretty amazing.

Does Kuroyukihime in Accel World remind anyone else of Holo from Spice and Wolf? In terms of looks, personality, dialect, pretty much in every way?

This sounds promising. Two Horos are better than one!

Jex

Maybe I was brought up in a big family which led that every character in Summer Wars resonated with me. It's not common that you see such a big cast at the same place interacting with each other during the majority of the movie. The build-up then turns into heartwarming sentiments until finally the credits roll, after which you feel completely satisfied. Whereas I felt the plot twist in Time Girl didn't really jive with the rest of the film. There had to be a conflict, a message, naturally, but surely it could have been conveyed more succulently.
There certainly was a lot of unfounded an unearned sentimentality in the finale, that I can agree with.

Solune

but there's nothing painful about watching Mars of Destruction
realtalk
But there isn't really anything to be gained either. A waste of time is a waste of time.
Was just doing some research, and it turns out the seiyuu for Saber in Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night (Ayako Kawasumi) is the same person who does Nodame in Nodame Cantabile.

Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum. XD
Yup Saber haters be damned. Ayako Kawasumi makes her awesome.
She also plays Gwendolyn in Odin Sphere and Silmeria in Valkyrie profile 2! really loved her voice in the former.

She played Gwendolyn perfectly, despite complaints about her being the least interesting I loved playing as her.

cajunator

Banned
Space Bros 04

This show continues to be incredibly enjoyable.
Mutta continues his quest, and there still seems to be a chance he will become an astronaut.
He even gets hnng girl's phone number!

Jex

Yeah the repetition of elements in the show slowly got on my nerves as it progressed.

There's very little of the show that's actually like, repeated though. Every episode has a thoroughly unique story, apart from that set of three episodes that bothered me slightly.

sonicmj1

Apollon 3

This was a really busy episode. When you reflect on everything that happened, it's shocking that it doesn't feel like a rushed mess.

Others have said everything I'd say, but I feel like reiterating how good the direction is. All the layers of misunderstanding are easily legible without the characters having to explicate most of them.

Fate/Zero 17

It felt a little longer at times than it could have, but it was a satisfying payoff to a storyline that had been building for a while. A real turning point, and I'm looking forward to next week.

That dramatic camera spin felt really, really unnecessary. If anything, I think it made the violence of the backstab feel less impactful, by showing something that was already obviously implied. If they were really going for "super-exciting moment for Kirei", they should have had some real melodramatic music going there, like some Death Note type stuff. Instead, the silence except for camera swooshing sounds made it feel like they wanted it to be heavy, despite the presentation.

I don't think the over-the-top blood pool helped things either.

Jex

I'm a little familiar with him from another forum and he is pretty consistent with himself. He can certainly give that impression to people though he does enjoy shows every so often (and sometimes it's a show I find good as well). I think he's an alright guy to be honest, just that his criticisms are a little too harsh I feel.

The best trolls are. Still, I haven't done any research, so thanks for the information.

Dresden

There's very little of the show that's actually like, repeated though. Every episode has a thoroughly unique story, apart from that set of three episodes that bothered me slightly.

It's the same story with different trappings, repeated for several episodes. The repetition was in fact the point, but it's still wearying after a while.

Jex

Mars of Destruction

That's it? That's the supposed worst anime ever?

...that was actually kind of funny. Certainly better than Precure Max Heart.

Most of the 'worst anime ever' are generally entertaining on one level or another.

Apart from Space Thunder Kids. That was actively boring.

Branduil

I don't think the over-the-top blood pool helped things either.

The animation for that shot was pretty laughable.
Tokiomi gets stabbed, looks shocked for several seconds, falls down, and then suddenly his body is like "oh, right" and releases all of his blood at once.

My biggest pet peeve with the shows' visuals is probably the ridiculous way it deals with blood; it's like everyone has 10 gallons of blood inside their body. I also don't understand why everyone bleeds out of their eyes.

Jex

It's the same story with different trappings, repeated for several episodes. The repetition was in fact the point, but it's still wearying after a while.

I don't really know about that. For example, I don't think that the
love doll episode (of which there are three, of course) told the same story as the Honey-Club episode.

Instro

I wouldn't say completely unique. A number of the episodes share plot devices and almost all of the episodes tend to progress in the same manner and come to the same conclusion. Not much is overtly repeated, but the basic formula for each episode is fairly similar. I also found it a bit problematic that the show reuses certain gags to the extent that it starts referencing the fact that it is reusing said gags.

digimon sux yo!

Get out.

Digimon Savers was pretty good. Had a good premise, pretty hot-blooded and everyone wasn't useless for once!

Yeah, Savers was amazing. I was really nervous going in that they would screw everything up (after such a long gap), but that was such a satisfying series. The characters were great, and more mature than in the past, everyone got to do something, and we had a pretty legendary evil human for once.

So is Digimon really that good? Or is just nostalgia making everything seem rosy?

It's not just nostalgia. Digimon Adventure, Tamers and Savers legitimately are that good. Frontier can go suck a dick, but most of the Digimon franchise has been pretty great. Well, aside from all the terrible localization efforts they've been stuck with.

I would say that Adventure, Tamers and Savers have all stood the test of time fairly well. You can sit down and watch an episode today and have a great time doing so.

Jex

I wouldn't say completely unique. A number of the episodes share plot devices and almost all of the episodes tend to progress in the same manner and come to the same conclusion. Not much is overtly repeated, but the basic formula for each episode is fairly similar. I also found it a bit problematic that the show reuses certain gags to the extent that it starts referencing the fact that it is reusing said gags.

Oh, I would certainly agree that the formula is the same every episode, well, nearly every episode, that didn't bother me because I felt like they changed enough things up in every episode to make it interesting, much like how certain episodic shows do the same thing.

sonicmj1

This is kind of how I felt too.

All the episodes get to their conclusion in a different way, but the basic arc is very similar, and the ending is almost always the same.

There's a purpose behind it, and it's a really good series, but that repetition definitely impacted my enjoyment of Tatami Galaxy.

Jex

Angel Beats 9

Organ donor cards in the train tunnel was a bit heavy handed. I think it embodies everything I dislike about that portion of the show. Exposition dump at the end was a bit much too. Maybe I haven't noticed until now but I think Angel's eyes are layered over her hair . wtf

Sounds about as bad as glasses that are see-through from the side.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Queen's Blade Rebellion OVA 1 Special
The OVAs (and the show) really aren't worth posting about, but these specials are somewhat shockingly unique. They are absolutely dreadful to watch, but for completely unexpected reasons.

Hyperlinked picture for the sake of people at work.

The first special is called "Instructor Alleyne's Brutal Training Camp". It has no real relation to the actual story beyond featuring one of the characters. Instead, it presents an in-character instructional work out video that breaks the fourth wall. Alleyne is a strict militaristic forest elf who leads the viewer through a number of exercises. These are painfully slow and repetitive, with cinematography that lewdly swings around the elf as she walks you through the steps.

Because of the sexual focus of the show many of the poses are lewd, and if the viewer is following along they too are strangely placed in these provocative feminine poses. At many points Alleyne slings insults at the viewer's inability to properly execute the maneuvers displayed. Some of the motions (like push ups) turn the viewer's head away from the screen, and Alleyne acknowledges the fact that the viewer is unable to properly execute the maneuvers if they are looking at the screen to ogle her. The whole special is incredibly strange in its structure and style, and painful to focus on because of its glacial pace. I do feel like I came away a better
and healthier
person having watched it though.

Jex

I didnt have a big family but I liked it all the same. I think the Oz stuff was the main hook for the story though, so it might not have gotten created and/or approved without it. Which makes me sad. See guys, this is why Hosoda turned to furries :(

I am extremely glad that the 'furryocalypse', as some have dubbed it, seems to be a return to a story that will have a tight focus on a small group of characters.

It's hard to imagine that anyone cares about Panty and Stocking, at this point.

Didn't the main guy for this series leave Gainax?

Yeah, Savers was amazing. I was really nervous going in that they would screw everything up (after such a long gap), but that was such a satisfying series. The characters were great, and more mature than in the past, everyone got to do something, and we had a pretty legendary evil human for once.

It's not just nostalgia. Digimon Adventure, Tamers and Savers legitimately are that good. Frontier can go suck a dick, but most of the Digimon franchise has been pretty great. Well, aside from all the terrible localization efforts they've been stuck with.

I would say that Adventure, Tamers and Savers have all stood the test of time fairly well. You can sit down and watch an episode today and have a great time doing so.

I will vouch for Adventure and Tamers.

Frontier was such fucking garbage it really messed up my view of Savers, but hopefully one day i will correct my mistake and go over it again

Jex

Yami 11

Another pointless sidestory, this time focusing on what it means to be alive, as performed by the pvc-voiced crew of a spaceship that...uh... does stuff, I guess. And shoots tentacles at people for one scene, and then never does again. Because yami. And then the drunken fox goddess stole lilith's hat. How mean. Also, that frog-princess-maid and ogre do not make a good couple. What the fuck, Deen. Eve finally appears!

How can it be pointless when it teaches you what it means to be alive?

The Tatami Galaxy 5

What an analogy! In using a key historical moment of international impact as a comparison for his tiny personal social problems, it fits with the MC's self-absorbed nature.

The general visual style of Tatami has so far been more consistent than Yuasa's previous two shows, but this cut was a pretty jarring leap out of it. I wonder who animated it.

I've always loved the theme and variations motif, so I can't say the formal repetition bothers me, particularly when each scenario tends to be considerably different. They do tend to end in a similar fashion, but that's of course the point, that the MC struggles to escape his fate but finds himself sinking back into his old self-destructive habits no matter what. I can symphatize with that.

Jex

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 12:

FUCK

I'M IN TEARS

NO WORDS

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Yami 12

There's nothing to say that can do this justice.

I'm crying right now.
it's incredible isn't it?
YAMI TO BOUSHI TO HON NO TABIBITO THIRTEEN

I
what
I mean
the fuck
but

10/10 godlike ending would recommend to anyone
AT LAST, I HAVE TRANSCENDED MY OWN EXISTENCE. BEHOLD, MORTALS, THE FRUIT OF PERSEVERANCE, AND SEEK IT FOR YOURSELVES SO THAT YOU MAY ENTER INTO BLISS WITH ME.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 13:

Any ending where you eat the world's best pancakes, lounge around in several compromising positions, and eventually find yourself
impregnated with your own future yuri lover
is a good ending.
Further proof, if proof, if proof was needed, that everyone should watch Yami.

I will vouch for Adventure and Tamers.

Frontier was such fucking garbage it really messed up my view of Savers, but hopefully one day i will correct my mistake and go over it again

Savers is rather aptly named since it came along to bring salvation to the franchise after that absolute piece of shit Frontier. It restored my faith in the franchise for sure.

Jex

It sure took them awhile to negotiate that one, I wonder what was keeping them?
Indeed. There aren't many reasons why one should watch IS. "To laugh at the dub" is one of them.

Once a bad show gets a bad dub it officially becomes a top-tier terrible show. I congratulate them for going that extra step.

Instro

Oh, I would certainly agree that the formula is the same every episode, well, nearly every episode, that didn't bother me because I felt like they changed enough things up in every episode to make it interesting, much like how certain episodic shows do the same thing.

For the most part yes, I think the issues became problematic for me during episodes that I was not enjoying as much as others.
The protag never learning his lesson, at least not until the end anyway, was part of the reason for this as well. I got a little fed up with him.

Perhaps watching it after it was finished, rather than week to week, made the repetition feel more pronounced for me.

cajunator

Banned
It sure took them awhile to negotiate that one, I wonder what was keeping them?

Once a bad show gets a bad dub it officially becomes a top-tier terrible show. I congratulate them for going that extra step.

Probably the fact that its a big license. Eureka Seven is an established name and those are not cheap and probably cause bidding wars.

Jex

Perhaps watching it after it was finished, rather than week to week, made the repetition feel more pronounced for me.

Probably. I didn't marathon it, and I can't imagine that would be the 'best' way to watch the show.

Jex

Code Geass R2 3

Another Kallen bath scene.

It should also be quite clear by now that Lelouch has a sister-complex for Nunnally and Rolo has the strong possibility of having a brother-complex for his fake brother Lelouch.

It took you until season two to decide this?

Jex

Upotte 3

Eru why do you suck so much? And why does the army still use it? Just ditch it and use better guns

So those elementary school kids, when they grow up what happens? Do they evolve to assault rifles?

Don't be ridiculous, they're guns. How would they grow up?
Eiken

Now that was bad anime. In fact, it was pretty much the distillation of everything bad in anime. It only falls short in the fetishes it failed to include.

Wow, the Hitokage seal of un-approval. That's difficult to earn.

trejo

Tsuritama 3

Now this was a pretty decent episode. It only struck me as a little odd that
everyone just happened to be in the vicinity of each other at the end but than again, I guess they are all located in close proximity to one another
so I'll let it slide.

Haru has gone from supremely annoying to only slightly creepy. A welcome improvement. And the fact that
grandma seems to have only generic unnamed anime illness
puts me at ease somewhat but I remain cautious.

Tapioca is the best character in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom