• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

ANN reviews in a nutshell:

1014626-PUA08EL.png

ANN reviews have some of the most amusing pros and cons. For instance,

Pro: "Nonstop action that is nasty, violent, and blessedly free of moral or philosophical baggage"
Con: "Doesn't appeal to the finer sensibilities"

Say what now?

duckroll

I thought Madoka was really good when I watched it. Then I watched Blood-C and it was even better. Then I saw Fate/Zero and it was even better. Now I think back on Madoka, and I don't even think it's better than Wandering Son. So at best it's like the 4th best anime in the last year. Not very impressive. :(

cajunator

Banned
I thought Madoka was really good when I watched it. Then I watched Blood-C and it was even better. Then I saw Fate/Zero and it was even better. Now I think back on Madoka, and I don't even think it's better than Wandering Son. So at best it's like the 4th best anime in the last year. Not very impressive. :(

Thats comparing it to shows that are completely different. I havent seen wandering son but I would put Madoka and Fate Zero on even ground in terms of my enjoyment. As for Blood C, thats troll tier along with Code Geass and Yami so it is absolutely incomparable.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
While I agree the concept is interesting, anyone who has only ever watched Endless Eight after the TV run was finished can never truly understand the frustration of having to endure it for eight full weeks real time.

Eh, it depends. When I realized what they were gonna do after the fourth episode it became more of a game to see what little things they would change in the animation/camera views/clothes for the rest of the four episodes. The only thing that was really frustrating was realizing that they weren't going to do Disappearance as part of the tv series.

duckroll

Thats comparing it to shows that are completely different. I havent seen wandering son but I would put Madoka and Fate Zero on even ground in terms of my enjoyment. As for Blood C, thats troll tier along with Code Geass and Yami so it is absolutely incomparable.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Which one? There are like 3 who qualify!
A true hipster would know which one!

It's too bad you never actually became a full shonen bro. You could have watched five hundred+ episodes of One Piece and Naruto. :(
Why do that when I can rewatch Gintama two or three times?
(I'm actually "looking forward" to seeing what they did for the dub of the Gintama movie. I hope they didn't turn it into a camp fest).

Soma

Truth be told, if I had actually finished Fate/Zero S1 earlier that probably might've made my number one pick for AOTY.

Oh well, there's always this year if S2 counts.

Makoto

Guilty Crown 22 (FINAL) / A Certain Magical Index II 24 (FINAL)

I once knew someone from the Peace Corps. He spent his early 20-something in war torn nations rather bars. In the backwater holes of the world rather than in the arms of the women he sought to marry. In places where those power compete for corruption the same way neighboring restaurants compete for customers. The boy I saw leave and the man who I welcomed back into society were two different people. His speech was different. His habits were different. He often shook his head whenever he engaged in conversation, even if it was a positive subject. He and the girl that was waiting for him broke-up weeks ago his return. Eventually we started to talk less and less. When I confronted him about it, I simply asked him why. He responded, “I’ve seen some shit.”

My first-world problem doesn’t compare to my friend’s issues but what he told me that day didn’t truly resonate until now. It’s incredible what gets allowed on the air these days. Here we have two main characters, two students even: Shu and Touma. Despite their seemingly simple lives, they both have remarkable powers bestowed upon them. Powers that leave those who’ve witnessed them in awe, anger and disappointed. It is the power of bad writing. These two adolescents endure different paths and respond with different experiences. What was quite remarkable was just how different they were. Shu for instance, is very human. He’s been schooled in the art of melodrama. He loves to do 180s on his personality whenever something significant happens, sometimes it works (Episode 15) and sometimes it doesn’t. I think what Shu has going for himself is that despite these shortcomings in how his character was written, at least the guy was flawed. Sometimes he didn’t know the right answer to a situation, sometimes he got it completely wrong. So even if he was a nitwit at points, he was entertaining to watch as well. Touma, on the other hand, is a robot. He is a procedural robot that is stupid, unfunny and a total jackass of a protagonist. He lives in a city programmed to guide awful villainous robots to him so that he can lecture them on how wrong their perception of life is and how he has the right solution. He does this without fail. Then he saves the world and goes on to act like a modest asshole like he does every arc.

This is the tale of two characters and two shows, shows that revel in their ass pulls. That revel in their poorly written characters faced by poorly written scenarios. I must admit though, if there's one show that made me appreciate the good, it was Index II. Shu is nowhere near as bad as Touma. I would take a million Shu’s over an eighth of one Touma. I would rather take Shu’s melodrama over Touma’s shitty goofy good guy persona. As bad as Shu is, at least he’s human with flaws and shortcomings. Then there's their sidekicks. Inori is nowhere as bad as Index. Inori does not abuse the hand that feeds her and she is 5,000,000 times more useful than Index. For all the ass pulls that Guilty Crown commits, Index beats it by miles with every arc dealing with theology and it gives you a lecture on the subject too. As bad as Guilty Crown was, I'd be lying if it didn't keep me glued to my seat more often than not. It's got a good presentation about it all and the soundtrack slowly became a treat. Index II had nothing going for it aside from Misaka and MILFsaka. Index S1 and S2 are amongst the worst shows I’ve ever forced myself to watch and Touma is THE worst main character I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching. I cannot understand how a show this bad got two seasons, both two cours long. 1/5 for both shows.

“I’ve seen some shit,” is right. It’s enough to make you a cynic. Enough to make you quit anime. But you don’t. Instead you learn to appreciate. Like a man who was stuck in the desert for weeks learns to appreciate a glass of clean water. You appreciate.

Now I begin Railgun alongside two shows I've dropped in the past: Nichijou and Hanasaku Iroha, two shows that I've wanted to like but couldn't hold my interest. After what I've seen, that shouldn't be the case anymore.

Articalys

Out of nowhere: Discotek Announces DVD Release of Mad Bull 34 Series
The North American home video distributor Discotek announced on Wednesday through its Facebook page that it will be releasing the original Mad Bull 34 original animated video (OAV) series on DVD in 2013. According to the post, the series will be put on DVD and will include an English dub along with an English-subtitled Japanese language track.

Kazuo Koike and Noriyoshi Inoue's original Mad Bull 34 manga began in Shueisha's Young Jump magazine in 1986 and was then adapted into a four-episode anime series directed by Satoshi Dezaki beginning in 1990. Manga Entertainment had previously released the series with an English dub in North America. The title tells the story of a pair of police officers, John "Sleepy" Estes and Daizaburo "Eddie" Ban, as they fight crime in New York's crime-ridden 34th precinct by using extreme violence and other questionable methods. Discotek's Facebook post describes it as "Quite possibly the best bad anime ever made."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom