• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Saki / Saki Achiga are mahjong series, at their core. They're about mahjong being played by groups of girls, many of whom subtext-yuri eachother. (Yeah, sure, we believe that Nodoka's blushing that much just because she wants to go to nationals with Saki... sure... no, not really.)

But no, they're not serious relationship drama stuff. The seriousness is largely about mahjong. Most characters do have a serious side to their story, but it's never anything TOO serious, and there's often plenty of comedy. (Yuki can be pretty silly...)

Wait so its kind of like a yurified Chihayafuru? I'm so fucking there!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Of course it could. It COULD have ended up with Yuno looking like my avatar.
cqYdm.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
smh at Geass hate.

For anybody curious as to where Mai Ritoru Poni impressions were (I'm sure like one or two of you were reading them), I'm posting them now in the MLP community thread due to complaints from here on out. And this will be my last post here for a while.

Jex

So, I was listening to one of the latest ANN casts, specifically their 80's Anime Top Ten list and I was kind of shocked that Zac wasn't familiar with so many landmark titles from that era. It seemed a little bizarre.

Then I realised that I was being a little bit unreasonable - there's no reason that he should be familiar with every important anime just because he happens to work for ANN.

Yet, as he continued to reveal his ignorance on certain key issues I found myself becoming increasingly irritated with with him. How could he not know that? Why the hell does he think Gundam is a super serious show that was made for military history fanatics? Why doesn't he know that there weren't that many titles produced in the 80's compared to today? After all, hasn't everyone already familiarised with that information thanks to Wikipedia?

Then I realised that I was becoming 'that guy' who knows far, far too much about a certain subject for his own good.

Incidentally, the podcast was quite enjoyable when they were actually discussing the merits of each individual show or movie. However, as with all "top 10 lists" as soon as people began explaining why they'd ranked show X higher than show y it became boring because that's such a subjective, personal choice about why you think one show is better than another rather than why a particular show is good.

Still, it might he a helpful introduction to some of these titles for people who aren't particularly au fait with there 80's anime. I also recommend listening just to hear Zac rip Macross: DYRL apart.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Has anyone heard of Sasameki Koto? Apparently it's GL so I wanted to hear anyone's thoughts on it before I put it on my list.

Ultimadrago

smh at Geass hate.

For anybody curious as to where Mai Ritoru Poni impressions were (I'm sure like one or two of you were reading them), I'm posting them now in the MLP community thread due to complaints from here on out. And this will be my last post here for a while.

I don't want a fellow Nichijou Bro to take absence. :'(

I hadn't seen complaints about the impressions here for a while, (except that one random guy yesterday).

I'll be here waiting for your return, darkside.

cajunator

Banned
So, I was listening to one of the latest ANN casts, specifically their 80's Anime Top Ten list and I was kind of shocked that Zac wasn't familiar with so many landmark titles from that era. It seemed a little bizarre.

Then I realised that I was being a little bit unreasonable - there's no reason that he should be familiar with every important anime just because he happens to work for ANN.

Yet, as he continued to reveal his ignorance on certain key issues I found myself becoming increasingly irritated with with him. How could he not know that? Why the hell does he think Gundam is a super serious show that was made for military history fanatics? Why doesn't he know that there weren't that many titles produced in the 80's compared to today? After all, hasn't everyone already familiarised with that information thanks to Wikipedia?

Then I realised that I was becoming 'that guy' who knows far, far too much about a certain subject for his own good.

Incidentally, the podcast was quite enjoyable when they were actually discussing the merits of each individual show or movie. However, as with all "top 10 lists" as soon as people began explaining why they'd ranked show X higher than show y it became boring because that's such a subjective, personal choice about why you think one show is better than another rather than why a particular show is good.

Still, it might he a helpful introduction to some of these titles for people who aren't particularly au fait with there 80's anime. I also recommend listening just to hear Zac rip Macross: DYRL apart.

I was becoming "that guy" regarding anime, but I chose to go a different path and concentrate on the science of hnnng.

Jex

smh at Geass hate.

Aw shucks. Farewell, fellow Pony viewer. Hopefully you'll return at some point.

NewFresh

smh at Geass hate.

I don't approve of this one bit.

dimb

I rarely feel like it's the same with movies though. How many people would say the first movie they watched is one of their favorite of all time? That's what makes lists like this confusing to me. On what level are they looking at the works? What they are now? For the time? The wires seemed particularly crossed during the podcast regarding this, although I appreciated that the people on the podcast seemed knowledgeable outside of Zac.

cajunator

Banned
I rarely feel like it's the same with movies though. How many people would say the first movie they watched is one of their favorite of all time? That's what makes lists like this confusing to me. On what level are they looking at the works? What they are now? For the time? The wires seemed particularly crossed during the podcast regarding this, although I appreciated that the people on the podcast seemed knowledgeable outside of Zac.

My list changes constantly, but there are a few series I put way up there at the top, like Haibane Renmei, Kino's journey, Twelve Kingdoms, that will remain there unchanging.
Below that, the forecast is mostly cloudy.

Jex

It just seemed to be "pick your top 10 titles from the 80's" and the podcasters seemed to interpret that in a variety of different ways, which is fine. It largely seemed to be things that they personally liked, even though though Zac chose something that he personally didn't love.

Anyway, top ten lists are dumb because ten isn't really enough, you always have to say "and here's the other important things I couldn't mention because I couldn't fit them in". I don't really understand having movies and titles on the same list either.

cajunator

Banned
It just seemed to be "pick your top 10 titles from the 80's" and the podcasters seemed to interpret that in a variety of different ways, which is fine. It largely seemed to be things that they personally liked, even though though Zac chose something that he personally didn't love.

Anyway, top ten lists are dumb because ten isn't really enough, you always have to say "and here's the other important things I couldn't mention because I couldn't fit them in". I don't really understand having movies and titles on the same list either.

that's why I pretty much stick to my top 2 or 3 and the rest just keep changing. I honestly cant nail down a definitive list, because it is variable depending upon whats interesting to me at the time, how memorable particular shows are, or if I even remember what the hell was on the list a few years ago.
I'm pretty sure people could make a list today, then one two years from now and it would have a ton of changes, maybe even at the very top.

Top 10 lists may be dumb, but you have to limit these things to some arbitrary number to keep from going on forever, and 10 is as good a number as any.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah but I can't even nail down my favorite ten. SOme shows I love to death because they are hyper cute, or dramatic and unfrogettable, or just well made, but some I love because they are awful. Maybe I could categorize them all and rank that way, but its fruitless. It just changes too much to be reliable indicators of my interests.

Jex

Top 10 lists may be dumb, but you have to limit these things to some arbitrary number to keep from going on forever, and 10 is as good a number as any.

Well I am all for having a focused discussion that doesn't run forever but I am still bothered by the Top Ten Format.

Firstly, the usage of 'Top Ten' implies that the list being discussed is somehow definitive, when really people seemed to generally pick out titles that they really liked, not necessarily the 'best ones', as dimb mentioned.

Secondly, 'Ten' really is too small a number to incorporate a decades worth of anime. Something like 30 or 40 would be a lot more useful if your purpose is to actually inform people about the important works being produced at that time. If you just want to stir up shit and here some controversial opinions sticking with 10 is quite effective.

dimb

Secondly, 'Ten' really is too small a number to incorporate a decades worth of anime. Something like 30 or 40 would be a lot more useful if your purpose is to actually inform people about the important works being produced at that time. If you just want to stir up shit and here some controversial opinions sticking with 10 is quite effective.
A format where they just talked about 40 shows instead of four people listing ten would also solve the problem of overlap on titles leading to weird gaps in the discussion when one person has it as their number ten and another has it as their number one. I'd imagine they both would probably rather just say everything they have to in one go.

Jex

Yeah but I can't even nail down my favorite ten. SOme shows I love to death because they are hyper cute, or dramatic and unfrogettable, or just well made, but some I love because they are awful. Maybe I could categorize them all and rank that way, but its fruitless. It just changes too much to be reliable indicators of my interests.

I am pretty awful at creating a 'Top 10' of anything, which perhaps explains my distaste for them in general.

cajunator

Banned
I'm definitely not good at it. I watch way too much variety of anime to ever come up with a list of shows that stuck enough to be my favorite of all time, although I'm quite sure now that I'd put Chihayafuru way up there. I loved it that much.

Jex

A format where they just talked about 40 shows instead of four people listing ten would also solve the problem of overlap on titles leading to weird gaps in the discussion when one person has it as their number ten and another has it as their number one. I'd imagine they both would probably rather just say everything they have to in one go.

Another problem with having 10 titles is that people avoid saturating their list with a certain type of work for the sake of variety, which is why Daryl only chose one Ghibli movie for his list, which is silly because no serious discussion of 80's anime should be without Nauiscaa and Totoro.

Wait so its kind of like a yurified Chihayafuru? I'm so fucking there!

The two series have some significant differences -- Chihayafuru is much more shoujo, Saki's about a more interesting game, etc -- but yeah, that comparison does sort of make sense. I know that Firehawk has been comparing the plot of Achiga's first episode or two to Chihayafuru, though I think it's just as much like Saki's, myself.

ZetaEpyon

I am pretty awful at creating a 'Top 10' of anything, which perhaps explains my distaste for them in general.

I'm awful at even rating shows, much less coming up with a Top Whatever.

That said, I actually just listened to these podcasts, and I didn't really have an issue with them limiting it to 10. In this particular case, there's more variety anyway simply because of the number of people involved. Sure, there were duplicates, but honestly not as many as I expected before I started listening. I do agree, though, that it was better when they were discussing exactly what made each show work, rather than just "show x was better than show y because I like it more".

cajunator

Banned
Another problem with having 10 titles is that people avoid saturating their list with a certain type of work for the sake of variety, which is why Daryl only chose one Ghibli movie for his list, which is silly because no serious discussion of 80's anime should be without Nauiscaa and Totoro.

That's another problem. People can be biased towards certain elements of a show. My top ten wouldn't really contain much cuteness in it, although I love that sort of thing, and certainly a few moe shows are good enough to warrant inclusion.

Well I am all for having a focused discussion that doesn't run forever but I am still bothered by the Top Ten Format.

Firstly, the usage of 'Top Ten' implies that the list being discussed is somehow definitive, when really people seemed to generally pick out titles that they really liked, not necessarily the 'best ones', as dimb mentioned.

I haven't listened to the podcast that inspired this discussion, but given that it's ANN, I would assume it's aims more at stirring up controversy than genuinely informing listeners about the time period.

Ah My Goddess TV 25
Amazingly, this was a welcome surprise of an episode. It adapts one of my favorite Urd's story into something that works really well.
I mean it starts with:
Young Urd so what could go wrong. But, it does adapt very nicely Urd's time spent with Shohei and expands on it a bit more. While, I did like the last bit of the manga's story a little bit more, I still think the show did well on this chapter.
Next, we get adult Skuld and it does look like these were originally OAV so I guess I can still say good job show for ending so nicely last episode!

trejo

Medaka Box 2

This is too much. Medaka is so goddamned perfect even her flaws are endearing. Medaka dog stirs some scary conflicting feelings in me but other than that the episode didn't do much to hold my interest.

With so many potentially good shows this season I really see no reason to keep bothering with this middling cast of characters.

cajunator

Banned
This is exactly why I don't bother with a MAL, even though it would be useful to have all that information contained in one place.

I'm TRYING to work on MAL but its kind of a boring thing in general.
The format and the way you have to add new information is just tedious.
It is kind of useful though when you have started like twenty shows at once, like I have (many more than that actually)

ZetaEpyon

This is exactly why I don't bother with a MAL, even though it would be useful to have all that information contained in one place.

Yeah, hence mine contains no ratings whatsoever. I pretty much just use it to keep track of what I'm watching. (Particularly useful if I have to put something on hold for a long time or such.)

NewFresh

I might have asked this in the past, but is there an anime podcast that would be more akin to the stuff written over at Anipages by Ben.

Then again, that might be asking for too much. How about just a good anime podcast?

cajunator

Banned
I try to rate objectively, but still end up with a stream of 6,7,8,9 and a few tens. I cant bear to give anything except eiken below a 5.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The two series have some significant differences -- Chihayafuru is much more shoujo, Saki's about a more interesting game, etc -- but yeah, that comparison does sort of make sense. I know that Firehawk has been comparing the plot of Achiga's first episode or two to Chihayafuru, though I think it's just as much like Saki's, myself.
Well, it's closer to Chihayafuru insomuch as the main motivating factor is a girl who transfers away to another school after playing the game with the main characters. You even have the time jump so that helps too. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom