• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/496/1496970/
http://manga.tokyo/news/announcemen...movie-eureka-seven-hi-evolution-in-fall-2017/

The new Eureka Seven films will be released in Fall 2017 simultaneously in Japan, North America, the UK, France, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and more. Funimation is the North American distributor. Confirmed at Anime Boston.

We can all find out simultaneously if this is the first good Eureka Seven thing since the original series, or if our sadness will continue.

BONES has all my faith. hopefully the movies will be released not to far away from me. Because it does say North Amercia! This include Canada, Funimation.

PaulBizkit

Ok, i finished Akiba's Trip and i'm halfway through Maid Dragon. I'm kind of sad to see the winter season end because when it just started, i was in japan visiting my sister and I remember watching the first episode of Akiba's Trip and Masamune kun's revenge with her without subs.

Anyways, I liked A'sT a lot because OMG AKIHABARA (went here and loved it). The very last scene with tamotsu and mayo's
kiss being interrupted by a Back To The Future joke
was simply amazing and very funny.

This season, i'll watch only the new AoT series.

Love, Election & Chocolate ep.11-END
nXbx4yZ.png

I WAS WRONG!!!

I'm floored.... I'm speechless.... that final scene; my heart is melting as I'm 75% shocked at who "won" and 25% melted inside like chocolate, in a car, during a hot summer day...

This was pretty cute ending to the show that had some pretty fun moments throughout. I liked the various personalities of the characters, but the show could have used more sexual harassment from his male sidekick (the Yaoi stick joke never got old) A little forced drama that wasn't really needed, but they tied it all together nicely. I'm still floored at how this one finished in regards to the ship....

Someone get a giant spatula to get e off the floor....

I remember watching this show a couple years ago. I was also surprised on how nicely they wrapped it up considering most other anime in the same genre fail to do so.

Clov

Looking forward to getting home and watching Warau Salesman. It looks like something I'll really enjoy.

I still need to finish the last two 3-gatsu episodes though, and... catch up on LWA... but I think that second one can wait for a bit.

Ascheroth

Youjo Senki #7-8

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by episode 8. It was basically an episode about war crimes, and was actually handled tactfully and was legit uncomfortable. The different ending worked very well as well.
Tanya is basically an evil piece of shit though.

Jex

[LWA TV] - 13

...I feel like this episode has justified the entire existence of this series.

Huh.

Jex

More so than episode 8?

Yes. Episode 8 was really awesome, but it was basically just a lot of fun wackyness taking place in fantasy land. It wasn't really connected to anything.

Episode 13 feels like the actual idea behind the series, given flesh and justified in a concrete manner.

I'd say everything else feels like filler nothingness in comparison.

KraytarJ

The only problem with K-ON is most people that watch it come to the incorrect conclusion that Mio is best girl when in reality it's obviously Ritsu.

Jex

[Attack on Titan] - 26

This episode truly feels like the 26th episode in the original series, as opposed to some true 'sequel'. It has the exact same pacing issues that dogged the original anime production, namely, that the obvious padding.

There's nothing satisfying about watching an episode of this show because it feels like basically nothing happens (helped, in this episode, by the insertion of a pointless dream sequence). Everything is spaced so that each episode covers certain events and no further, meaning lots of stretched and padded material. You never feel like you're experiencing a complete 'story', or even an interesting part of a story. It's just a bunch of disconnected scenes, that are played extremely dramatically to try and get a rise out of you. In the end though, it just feels a single episode covers about 5 minutes worth of notable 'events'. And that leaves the viewer feeling rather empty.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I know Sabre is nakama because he recognizes the superiority of Ui.

Ascheroth

LWA #13

Oh my. This is probably my new favorite episode.
While episode 8 was great over-the-top wackiness from start to finish, this episode was fun as well - but also had a lot of heart, and actually seemed to tackle the themes the series wants to go for.
Also a gorgeous special effects animation spectacle never hurts.

Jex

[Little Witch Academia TV] - 13

lwa131ndrt8.jpg
lwa132b5rr9.jpg

[Me watching this episode]

Now, as I've been dumping on this series for months on end, it's only fair that I give the series its due when it actually does something right. I've already praised episode 8 for the things it does well, but the strengths of that episode as almost completely disconnected from the rest of the series - it's largely just an entraining visual showcase. Episode 13, meanwhile, almost feels like the pitch idea of Little Witch Academia as a TV series, because it really brings together all the elements that could have been potentially good, but never where.

I'm actually curious who wrote this particular 'School Festival Arc' because it feels almost completely disconnected from the way the series has been structured up until now. It actually nearly all the previous episodes look like filler because they were all about nothing, where as this story has an actual core. So, why does this succeed where the previous episodes have all fallen terribly short?

Well, the obvious and easiest answer is: the writing. It feels like this episode was written by a human being who understands characters, motivations and story beats. In this episode, it feels like all the characters have clearly thought out and reasoned motivations. In this episode, Akko is actually charming and her imperfections are literally her charm - she also has more motivation than simply "wanting to be like Chariot". In this episode, Akko feels like she has friends, and you can understand why Akko might actually be able to motivate her friends. In this episode, Professor Ursula actually fulfils her role in the show perfectly, she doesn't tell Akko how to solve a situation but she provides her with the ability to reach a solution. In this episode, Diana is depicted like a human being, something that hasn't been the case since her introduction.

I think actually well reasoned motivations have to be the biggest success of this episode. Akko has multiple breakthroughs here. Firstly, she's not literally the worst witch on the planet. Secondly, she trains and not only does it feel like she's self-motivated it feels like progress it made in a reasonable manner. Thirdly, she identifies not that she wants to be like Chariot, but she explicitly says why she wants to be like Chariot, namely, to entertain others. But this simple motivation is actually built upon in this arc. Akko actually wants to help the ghost, and she develops a plan to do so on her own (!) and successfully recruits help from her friends and teacher. Heck, her friends don't want to do it at first (wow, they're actually been characterised as more than just doormats to Akko's every want!) but she eventually wins them over in a manner that makes sense. You actually care about everything Akko is doing here because you feel like she's doing it all for the right reason and she's working hard.

Sucy remains a cipher as ever, but Lotte actually gets some decent moments here too. She starts off indifferent, keen to follow tradition and remain unambitious. However, two (yes, she has more than one motivation in a single episode!) things push her to change. Firstly, other's point out how little she strives to achieve, and secondly Akko's relentless enthusiasm for magic is enough to rekindle her own love for magic. This kind of feels like how her character was always supposed to work in theory but in practice she's been a literal nothing character. Here, she actually gets a moment at the end of the episode which was built up by events that happened at the start. I know that sounds like basic writing, but it's a level this show has never achieved before!

Diana is yet another interesting case. It seems like this episode was going to play her character as boringly straight as ever, but that's not actually the case. Yes, Diana does perform a very showy and impressive piece of magic during the festival, but her boring 'perfection' is undermined here significantly. Firstly, she's shown as being ignorant when she assumes Akko is a worthless flake, so much so that even Lotte (!) has to stand up to her. This undermines Diana's ability to judge others. Later, we see Akko pointedly confront Diana before Akko goes on stage, and for the >>>first time ever<<< it feels like Akko actually feels like a literal and philosophical rival to Diana. After Akko's performance, Diana is forced to confront the fact that while her own performance was of great technical merit it was ultimately meaningless, where as Akko's performance actually helped a soul and entertained people. She doesn't look satisfied to be receiving praise when she knows Akko's performance has more true worth than her own. It's actually going to be interesting to see the fallout of this take place next week (yes, I actually care about where this story is going!!!).

Qurupeke

LWA 13
Pretty good. The show is certainly on track to finally meet my expectations of the series. A competent Akko, finally, and the group working together, while the series keeps its fun factor and it still puts the "magic spectacle" on the front.

Honestly, the trio's interactions was what bugged me the most before and it was so nice to finally see them as a team. Sucy is supposed to be odd and creepy, acting for her own amusement, she's not a bully or downright crazy. And more spotlight to Lotte is good, especially when it's not about that Twilight parody.

Stein;s Gate: Load Region of Déjà Vu

Finally watched this today before I went to work. I did my inital watch of Stein;s Gate and enjoyed the experience, even if I thought one particular side plot was sketchy. Funny enough, this movie addressed what I thought was missing from the original series; Okabe's actual guilt with all the time-travel.

The big emotional crux of the movie came down to how invested in Okabe and Kurisu's relationship, and they happen to be one of my favorite anime pairings so this was a really enjoyable watch.

BluWacky

[Little Witch Academia TV] - 13
I'm actually curious who wrote this particular 'School Festival Arc' because it feels almost completely disconnected from the way the series has been structured up until now.

It's written by Michiru Shimada, the chief screenwriter for the show, who's also written most of the episodes so far.

If I were a cynical man (and yes, perhaps I am) I would note that the show is smack bang at the halfway point, which is exactly where you'd expect something half-decent and momentous to happen to keep viewers going into the second half...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[LWA TV] - 13

...I feel like this episode has justified the entire existence of this series.

Huh.
Wow, must be SOME episode

Btw Jexhius you should watch/catch up on IBO if you haven't I would put it just behind 0080 and 08th MS team and you know that's almost the highest praise I can give to Gundam.

phaze

Yeh, no. Ain't saving this anymore.

K-on 01

It's funny a difference a few years make. I'm pretty sure I watched this before and either never followed up or stopped without even finishing the ep but low and behold, my tolerance for cute girls must have risen sizeably during this span of time. But another important thing is, after subjecting myself to a thousand and one (shit) anime,I can appreciate the execution at the display here much more. The amount of movement, the direction, photography and backgrounds make it clear quickly this is a higher level of effort than your usual cute girls tripe.

Alas, if as I've read, the first season is but a bunch of cake munching and tea sipping , I can see my interest petering out quickly. There's hope for me yet.

KraytarJ

K-on 01

It's funny a difference a few years make. I'm pretty sure I watched this before and either never followed up or stopped without even finishing the ep but low and behold, my tolerance for cute girls must have risen sizeably during this span of time. But another important thing is, after subjecting myself to a thousand and one (shit) anime,I can appreciate the execution at the display here much more. The amount of movement, the direction, photography and backgrounds make it clear quickly this is a higher level of effort than your usual cute girls tripe.

Alas, if as I've read, the first season is but a bunch of cake munching and tea sipping , I can see my interest petering out quickly. There's hope for me yet.
Honestly I'd say power through. S1 is pretty light and fun but S2 is where a lot of substance gets added and things go from a show about hedonism to a show about change, growth, and saying goodbye.
Also some hedonism, but not as much.

Woh Naruto shippuden actually fell to the 5th spot in CR's popular shows list...crazy.
Ain't nobody got time for that old shit. It's Burrito time baby.

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 13

Well now, here's an actual legit good episode. Akko is putting her heart into this not just to be like Chariot or to upstage Diana, but to actually help the spirit and make the festival more lively. Lotte stops being a doormat for once. Sucy is still creepy, but she's not acting like an evil scientist and instead is an actual friend. Ursula gives some appropriate help, though needing 3 weeks to research this seems off, but whatever. The festival itself shows why Luna Nova is currently considered trash, even at its best it's all flash with nothing particularly interesting to it. Diana knows when she's beaten and is not comfortable taking the glory when someone else has earned it in spirit, if not by the rulebook. The themes of the series really came together here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom