• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spyro Trilogy Remaster Coming to PS4 This Year : Rumour

CrewShadow

According to multiple sources familiar with the project, Activision is currently working on a Spyro the Dragon Trilogy Remaster, which will be announced in March 2018 and released in Q3 2018.

The Spyro remaster will be announced for PS4, with PS4 Pro support, sometime in March 2018, and will be releasing in Q3 2018. One source suggested that September would be the launch month, which would be in line with Spyro the Dragon's 20th anniversary.
While this detail will not be part of the announcement in March, the game will be a one-year timed exclusive for PS4, before being ported to other systems in 2019. Apparently, the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy is tied to similar one year exclusivity window, so expect to see multiple ports of that in 2018.

xviper

hopefully they don't just improve the graphics and sell it as a Remake like Crash trilogy, they should improve the controls, add levels, enemies, bosses and more

Codes 208

Wut. WUT! YEEEEEEEES!!

Also at that last bit, crash is one of the few things i miss from my ps4 but if it gets a multi-console port, i certainly wouldnt mind double dipping for my X

Last edited:

hiphopcr

hopefully they don't just improve the graphics and sell it as a Remake like Crash trilogy, they should improve the controls, add levels, enemies, bosses and more
As someone who never played Crash, you make it sound like it doesn't hold up despite a layer of polish?

Droxcy

Spyro was my game! Hopefully they do it justice. Countless hours chasing those fools around, trying to get my eggs haha.

Nobo-ty

Neo Member
Having barely played Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, I will gladly pay money for a good remaster. I’m hoping the rumors of Crash Trilogy remastered going multi platform is true, I just can’t deicde if I want it on Switch or PC :p (should it come to Switch anyhow)

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
It would be a crime if they don't make this. IMO original Spyro>>>>>>>>Crash. The first three games are some of my favorite games of the PS1 era. This will be an easy day 1 for me.

ABeezy1388

YESSSSS! Please, please, please release this game. I had the OG for PS1, I was quite young though and never really got into it. I'd love for this to come out.

Also, its the ONE game my wife would actually sit and play with me. I will be sharing this news with her tonight :p

xviper

As someone who never played Crash, you make it sound like it doesn't hold up despite a layer of polish?
no offense but you reminded me of the Cathy newman meme, what i meant is that when they Remake a game they shouldn't just improve the visuals and call it a remake, they should add new things and improve gameplay like Resident evil 1 remake did, Crash Trilogy had nothing new other than a visuals upgrade, i loved the trilogy as if i was playing it for the first time, but a visual upgrade alone is not enough

Silvawuff

I've replayed the original Spyro now and then, and it really holds up well imo. Hope to see this become a proper remake!

Blam

Nice one so that's their plan both Sony and Activision are running through nostalgia, and that's how their entire contract is going to be I guess.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Sony: we need to get attention from the kids
- do a new IP?
- Too hard, let's do a remake of Crash
- oh, ok
Next year...
- now, let's do Shadow of the Colossus
- but this game had an HD upda...
- shut up
Next year...
- SPYROOOOOOOOO
- but... ah, fuck it

EDarkness

Good to see that kids games aren't dying off. Though, for some reason I always thought of Spyro as being a Gamecube game. In any case, let's hope it gets the Crash treatment and they put some real effort into the games.

DonJimbo

Yes yes yesss someone hold me
I waited so long for a spyro remaster in the veins of crash bandicoot remaster

Codes 208

Sony: we need to get attention from the kids
- do a new IP?
- Too hard, let's do a remake of Crash
- oh, ok
Next year...
- now, let's do Shadow of the Colossus
- but this game had an HD upda...
- shut up
Next year...
- SPYROOOOOOOOO
- but... ah, fuck it
I'm fairly certain that Sony dealing with Activision to make these Crash and Spyro remastered trilogy sets (and shadow of colossus) was aiming at the nostalgic fanbase and die-hard PS1/PS2 fans rather than kids.

Maybe it's just me but when I think of Croc, I think of B-tier mid 90's and early 00's platformers like Gex 2-3, Frogger 2: Swampys revenge and TY the Tasmanian Tiger

Gex was absolutely amazing. I love that little lizard so much that I adopted a Leopard Gecko and called her Gex. She's beautiful. Lock and load little lizard.

Honestly I'd go fucking insane for a cross over game of all the popular PS1 heroes. Crash, Spyro, Croc, Gex, Pandemonium etc.

sublimit

Banned
I've replayed the original Spyro now and then, and it really holds up well imo. Hope to see this become a proper remake!
That is so true!I replayed it on my OLED Vita and it was almost as if i was playing a remaster. That final boss though.Man i have no idea how i managed to beat it 20 years ago.

Hope this is true, I really love the first 2 spyro games. Maybe this new coat of paint will get me to like the third game more as well

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Holy crap! Yes, please. This would be absolutely amazing if true. As much as I like Spyro as a character, Hunter is the man! Looking forward to seeing the clumsy bugger again.

Last edited:

Codes 208

If it looks anything like this, I am in heaven.

My problem with this is that i knew right away it was unreal just feom seeing the thumbnail. Something about it looks too sterile, its missing an art direction and looks just like most other "in unreal" demoes.

jadedm17

An upgraded HD single package of three Spyro games and you want more?

I.... I mean it's nice to want things but I'd be more than happy with an HD trilogy upgrade.

Codes 208

An upgraded HD single package of three Spyro games and you want more?

I.... I mean it's nice to want things but I'd be more than happy with an HD trilogy upgrade.
Agreed. Any and all changes can be detrimental to what defined the games. In a hd remake, it should always remain faithful to the source material while fixing smaller issues like unwanted bugs or game breaking glitches and always, ALWAYS, improve on the performance.

Pachi72

My problem with this is that i knew right away it was unreal just feom seeing the thumbnail. Something about it looks too sterile, its missing an art direction and looks just like most other "in unreal" demoes.
Actually this looks on point with the art from PSX

Top Bottom