• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces redesigned FFX|V - A Realm Reborn [PS3/PC "Soon"]

Yoshida told me in an Interview in November that he felt the original 14 wasn't clearly FF enough and that he planned to build in more nods to FFs rich history in the new version. Outside the interview he asked me what my favourite FF was (it's 9) and asked if there was any particular element from that game I'd like to see manifested. He really cares. Very cool dude.

Lindblum to be the fourth city state confirmed!

Although in seriousness, a theatre troupe airship between the cities would be pretty awesome.

LTWheels

Yoshida told me in an Interview in November that he felt the original 14 wasn't clearly FF enough and that he planned to build in more nods to FFs rich history in the new version. Outside the interview he asked me what my favourite FF was (it's 9) and asked if there was any particular element from that game I'd like to see manifested. He really cares. Very cool dude.

Obliviously asked for tetra master and Black Mage Village.

iclash

So am I reading this right, the revision of FFXIV is being rebranded as FFXV? When do we get a real single player FF experience that has nothing to do with FFXIII?

ace3skoot

the fact that all they show is a CGI trailer for the reboot doesn't exactly install you with confidence for the actual game :p

Takuan

SE are too proud to let the game go F2P. I personally think when they were redesigning the game for 2.0, they should have designed it with F2P in mind. Also have to consider that they have some fanatical FF fans that would be willing to subscribe no matter the quality of the game.

They designed it with WoW in mind. I don't think they're clued into F2P at all. I fully expect this to be a WoW-like in an FF skin, which will be enough for most fans, myself included. I will make a dragoon, get dat armor/god-weapon, and then quit forever.

the fact that all they show is a CGI trailer for the reboot doesn't exactly install you with confidence for the actual game :p
It's Square. They've been doing this with their games since VII.

Buttons

This is only the first trailer. There are more coming and a big promotion is apparently starting in August, along with more news at the Animagic and Gamescom. :)

ff-story-02.jpg

The Amano artwork, for comparison:

amano-final-fantasy-vi.jpg

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

Please release this for the PS3 ASAP.... ;_;

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

They also had screens a few weeks ago and demoed it to the press at E3.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm dying to try this out. I still have XIV installed on my machine, but I really don't want to pay for a monthly fee to try it out. Are they going to have a free trial for old players?

They really need to make it free to play...

Souljiro

Eh no more trailers I need some gameplay. I tried getting back into FFXIV since the updates, but it felt the same I'm hoping this next version will get me back into it.

I know this will suck as a MMO compared to the rest, but just because of the oldschool FF stuff (+ I was a huge FFXI nerd back then), I'll stupidly go day 1 on it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Who the hell chose that narrator for the trailer? lmao

But I'm glad to know they haven't forgotten about the PS3 version.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Eh no more trailers I need some gameplay. I tried getting back into FFXIV since the updates, but it felt the same I'm hoping this next version will get me back into it.
Honestly, even gameplay won't be enough for me. I need to know that the keyboard and mouse controls will be as good as what I'm getting in GW2. That the performance isn't complete garbage in an empty town or desert. That everything isn't being culled and redrawn when I turn around in a city.

There are so many small, but incredibly annoying flaws in the game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Good CG as usual but it says nothing about the gameplay or anything. I'll wait until later to decide whether this game is really reborn.

Zakkath

Now, that is a very good looking CG trailer, but we see absolutly nothing from the game that was a freaking mess when it first launched. Is this how you're supposed to convince people to come back to it ?

DJIzana

Visual Works is definitely impressive... I just hope the gameplay equally does FF XIV 2.0 justice.

The only problem I had with XIV was the UI (obviously being redone in 2.0), some elements of combat and the fact you were limited on how many leves you were able to do per day. If I can do more than just grind (or if they make grinding more interesting in 2.0) then it'd be enough for me to come back and stay.

I'm looking forward to the beta and hopefully I can gather enough of an opinion from that. Until then, I can't really justify paying a monthly fee compared to playing Guild Wars 2. >_<

This trailer should have had the CGI to start, followed by a little bit of real gameplay highlighting the new graphic engine and art style and showing some of the new classes with voice over explaining how the entire game has been remade from scratch, and finished off with more CGI. That would have been a good simple intro video telling people what the heck this is and introducing hype.

If I hadn't been following this game, all that video would tell me is that crappy MMO I tried and hated back in the day is getting an add-on pack called "A Realm Reborn".

Allard

Thread title makes no sense, what do FFX and FFV have to do with FFXIV?

Its the 'special' way Yoshida made the FFXIV logo, it first appeared on the Legacy website. Instead of "FFXIV" its "FFX|V" as if to accent a larger 'I'. It works better in promotional material but as a typing character... yeah doesn't quite look right.

By the way this is the trailer they were originally going to release at E3 but decided against it because 1) they didn't have very much new material yet to show and wanted more time to start a deluge of information (this will be the first of supposedly many updates leading into Alpha testing in September) 2) Was primarily if not completely FMV 3) Didn't want to spoil the story for current players waiting to see what form the destructor was going to take (Dalamud the magic sin/prison satellite). Yesterday patch 1.23 launched brought a fairly climactic fight against the vessel currently controlling the satellite and from here on out we will be experiencing the destruction phase more then likely.

As for why they haven't shown gameplay videos yet, honestly I thought they said they were going to wait till they could show both at the same time, but I guess they felt this was going to be a good lead to those videos showing up later. Gameplay videos are coming, 2.0 is NOT the same game as the original FFXIV, almost everything about the core/base game is either getting scrapped or revisioned in 2.0/A Realm Reborn. The graphics engine, the UI, the world itself, the servers, crafting/gathering mechanics, even combat mechanices etc. The only thing being transferred from the old game is quests completed, levels gained, and items/currency procured from version 1.0 so playing in the current world won't feel like a complete waste of time, and some very specific elements introduced into 1.0 like the primal fights and some of the raids.

Its the 'special' way Yoshida made the FFXIV logo, it first appeared on the Legacy website. Instead of "FFXIV" its "FFX|V" as if to accent a larger 'I'. It works better in promotional material but as a typing character... yeah doesn't quite look right.

Visual aid, for reference:

lHoTz.jpg

Cmagus

Now, that is a very good looking CG trailer, but we see absolutly nothing from the game that was a freaking mess when it first launched. Is this how you're supposed to convince people to come back to it ?

August they are doing a huge media push for in game stuff. This is a teaser trailer that somewhat coincides with the final events happening in game right now.

Ah, that's not entirely true. While anecdotal obviously, the biggest reason behind me not trying The Old Republic was that it was a subscription based MMO. I don't even know how the game plays nor what the team's PR did.

That's you. Rift, a full subscription-based MMO, came out before The Old Republic, and has been incredibly successful. They are getting their first full expansion this fall, which triples the size of the world, and it's still fully subscription-based. When a game is actually good, it can be successful without having to be F2P.

ironcreed

Banned
Really digging the darker approach to what you usually get with Final Fantasy. I think that is the right approach, but sadly, I do not buy games that I then have to pay a subscription for in order to play.

neoemonk

I love Final Fantasy, and played this for a while when it was free. Looking forward to the new stuff, but I have a hard time swallowing subscription based gaming.

Edit: me and everyone else apparently

Coldsnap

I think subscription makes sense for this game. It's a bit more hardcore than most MMORPGs, sorta still like XI in a few ways but def not as hardcore...

Ok guys even if It's X¦V or whatever it in promotional material it doesnt translate well when you type it out that way. So can we please stop? The game is still XIV.

DJIzana

I think subscription makes sense for this game. It's a bit more hardcore than most MMORPGs, sorta still like XI in a few ways but def not as hardcore...

I think quite the opposite... if you're limited on how many leves you can do and you don't feel like playing, then paying a monthly fee feels like you're being robbed. -_-

So everyone wants this to be F2P to warrant a purchase? LOL not gonna happen. I paid for XI for years and it was worth it for what I got.

Top Bottom