• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Aware of Fan Expectations for a Star Ocean 3 Remake; No Plans Currently Set in Stone

GCcw8bYaUAAsbpU

The Japanese outlet Famitsu recently posted a lengthy interview with select staff from the action JRPG Star Ocean The Second Story R.

However, there are also some comments about other matters, such as a potential remake of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, the third mainline entry of the franchise. A remake of this controversial yet beloved PlayStation 2 title seems like the most natural next step for the Star Ocean series. However, the scale of its narrative and gameplay would likely require substantial effort, especially if the visuals are redone entirely.
When the Famitsu interviewer mentioned the possibility of a Star Ocean: Till the End of Time remake, Square Enix producer Kei Komaki said that they are aware of the expectations for a remake of that title, but there are currently no promises on whether that will even occur. Still, he hopes fans will keep an eye out for what the Star Ocean series has to offer in the future.

Gemdrops development producer and director Yuuichirou Kitao then said he hopes they will be able to craft many more titles in the future.

You can view a translation of this exchange below:
Interviewer: As a remake of Star Ocean 2, it is wonderful. I would definitely like to see the next remake being of Star Ocean 1 or maybe Star Ocean 3…

Komaki: The Star Ocean team started this project from the point of making all the games in the series playable on current platforms, so we are fulfilling that goal. Of course, we are aware of the expectations for a remake of Star Ocean 3, but we are in the process of further promoting [Second Story R], and at this stage, nothing has been decided on what to do next. We want to think of something while we are receiving warm feedback from everyone, but we cannot give any answers at this time. I can’t make any promises, but I hope you will keep an eye on the Star Ocean series over the long term.

Kitao: We feel that [Second Story R] was a great experience for us, as it has been a long time since we made a full-scale, full-fledged RPG. I hope we will have many more opportunities to create titles that will please everyone in the future.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Can't wait, the game was great until "the" plot twist
I've never played the game but even I know about that plot twist lol. Kinda almost makes me not even want to play it. If they put a lot of effort into a remake then maybe I would though....

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The recent Star Ocean Second Story R is VERY good. I'm not a huge JRPG guy but really liked the art style and the story. Combat is great and you can avoid battle if you want. Not sure why there wasn't a lot of GOTY talk about it and rarely heard it of top 10 lists (although I think it was MinnMaxx who liked the game a lot.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Minsc

Gold Member
The recent Star Ocean Second Story R is VERY good. I'm not a huge JRPG guy but really liked the art style and the story. Combat is great and you can avoid battle if you want. Not sure why there wasn't a lot of GOTY talk about it and rarely heard it of top 10 lists (although I think it was MinnMaxx who liked the game a lot.

Backlog Battle's GOTY had it placing very well, some guest star's individual GOTY, and top 5 for the channel / community vote. I'm very much looking forward to checking it out, haven't really played any of the Star Ocean games and this remake looks really fun from the trailers I've watched.

Go_Ly_Dow

Star Ocean Second Story R is superb. However I'm not expecting a remake of the 3rd game.

It would be good if they rebooted the main series as I think each game since 4 has been a bomba or at least not sold that well for largely quality/IP reasons. I think the series getting a fresh restart would help.

Last edited:

Jedge

Slightly off topic but do we know if second story r sold well? I would imagine if it did square will remake more star ocean games such as blue sphere

Square has spent the last 20 years pretending that the SO3 twist didn't happen, so I can understand their reluctance to remind everyone by remaking it.

I'd love to see a remake of Blue Sphere in the same style as SO2. Supposedly it's pretty good, but it never got a chance outside Japan.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Star Ocean 3 was so bad in so many different ways that I don't really see the point. The story, characters, combat system - all of it was bad. You could fix aspects of it, like the godawful party AI in combat, but there are so many fundamental problems like the twist, the pacing, etc. that it'd be nigh-impossible to salvage if you want the remake to still feel anything like the original.

kiphalfton

If you wanted it in the same style as 2, it would have to be completely built from the ground up as it's a full 3d game...

NanaMiku

I dropped the game when the plot twist happened lol

They made changes to FF7 remake story, so what stop them to make changes for SO3 story

Meicyn

Gold Member
The Matrix: You’re in a simulation
Fans: so cool

Star Ocean 3: You’re in a simulation
Fans: lol dumb lmao

Shifty1897

I dropped the game when the plot twist happened lol

They made changes to FF7 remake story, so what stop them to make changes for SO3 story
They didn't make changes to the story of FF7, they lied about it being a remake.

As for Star Ocean 3, I can't wait for a whole new generation to play this game and get to the twist and go
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

It ruins all plots before hand in the franchise and all future ones.

There’s no longer any stakes or appeal in any of the characters because they’re all NPCs in a game.

It killed the franchise for me.

Context and execution matter. The first 15-20 minutes of The Matrix are spent building up to the reveal, and the simulation plays a major role in the continuing plot afterwards. By contrast, the SO3 reveal comes out of nowhere near the end of the game, and future games pretty much ignore it, despite ostensibly taking place in the same canonical universe.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Backlog Battle's GOTY had it placing very well, some guest star's individual GOTY, and top 5 for the channel / community vote. I'm very much looking forward to checking it out, haven't really played any of the Star Ocean games and this remake looks really fun from the trailers I've watched.
I never played one either. Haven't come close to finishing it but am enjoying it a lot. So many games in the backlog. Playing Cyberpunk, Like A Dragon: Gaiden, Baldur's Gate 3 , Everspace 2 and I plan on giving Star Ocean some more time too. Itching to get back into it.

Top Bottom