• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 2 is a fantastic remake - SO3 next?

SantaC

With the succes of SO second story remake; we need to get a SO3 remake as well.

I played Star Ocean 3 last year, and it is still a good game but it aged kinda horribly.

Muddy enviroments, bad dungeon design (dragon doord) convulted battle system etc

There is an oppurtunity to sey things right.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eh, I haven’t played a SO that I didn’t like but I’ve heard about the plot twist and I don’t think SO3 interests me.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Succes? It needs to sell 10 million copies first
2-3 million would be a huge success for it, but I agree in the fact that we don't know sales figures yet. All we know (judging by meta and steam reviews) is that the people who did play it, really liked it.

SkylineRKR

I actually beat SO3 this year, on PS5.

I liked it a lot, I ended up spending many hours with crafting and steamrolled the game + maze.

Most problems stem from PS2 era tropes, ie. lack of save points, directions on where to go next, bad VA, awful camera controls etc. If they redo the VA or just add the JP track, save points, minimap, directions, camera, fast travel and perhaps ditch the MP death (I found it a nuisance, and useless beyond the first half of the game) it could be a fun entry.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why not just go straight for the best and remake

STAR OCEAN 4: THE LAST HOPE

?

Go_Ly_Dow

This might only sell 500k-1mil which would be a shame considering the quality of the game. So gotta spread the word that's its one of the best remakes ever for a classic that was already loved.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Low budget remaster at best.

It's Squeenix we're talking about here.
If this game got at best a mid-budget "HD-2D" remake, then we're not getting anything more than that.

Maybe Konami will hire Tri-Ace to remaster and localize Beyond the Labyrinth?

SantaC

This might only sell 500k-1mil which would be a shame considering the quality of the game. So gotta spread the word that's its one of the best remakes ever for a classic that was already loved.
I am thinking it will do better then Star Ocean 5 and 6.

Go_Ly_Dow

I am thinking it will do better then Star Ocean 5 and 6.
Yeah probably cheaper to develop and will likely sell more given the quality and popularity of the game. So perhaps HD-2D is the future for the series, as I think Divine Force (6) may be killed off fully 3D SO somewhat given how poorly it looks to have sold in Japan.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’d like them to de-make 3-5 in SSR style (they don’t consider this “HD2D” by the way).

TBH I thought SO3 kind of sucked, big disappointment for me as a huge fan of SO2. Ugly ass 3D models, boring rectangular corridor dungeons, never ending Xenosaga wannabe cutscenes + dialog scenes, glacially slow story where barely anything interesting happens for like 30 hours, absolutely horrible writing/VA, over complicated crafting system based around painstaking trial & error & reloading when you fuck up. They made a whole fucking minigame about backtracking to old dungeons so you can blow up the little piles of rubble that blocked you from getting the treasure chests…

The plot twist was stupid but by that point in the game I was glad that finally SOMETHING happened.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Gemdrops Inc. developed SO2R. Gemdrops was founded by the Battle Programmer for SO3, Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2.

So SO3 would be a good fit. But it isn't Tri-Ace at all.

Would be there day 1 for a SO3 remake. My favorite game in the series and the one I spent by far the most time on.

Edit
TheDreadLord TheDreadLord
I recently played SO1 since it was on sale for $8. It’s not as good as I remember. While extremely impressive for a SNES game, there’s actually very little that happens in the game story wise, and the majority of the game is crisscrossing the map multiple times. Hope you unlock the bunny whistle.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably my Favourite in the series, don't know why but I have a soft spot for it
It needs it. Tried to play SO3 but early 3D graphics sucked too much and has aged poorly.
star%2Bocean%2Btill%2Bthe%2Bend%2Bof%2Btime%2B8.jpg

They do the job and are very close to the artwork
Not that much different to what we get with the The Tales of games

Pejo

I agree that SO2 is one of S-E's best remakes of all time. If they do SO3, I hope they pull a FFVII:R and get rid of the "it's a simulation" bullshit and make a real story for the 2nd half of the game. THAT would be a GOAT remake contender.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man, what I really want is just SOME game made in the same style as SSR. Whether that’s a SO1 or Blue Sphere remake, SO3 demake, SO7, or even some totally new game but done in a similar style.

I just love that combination of pixelated sprites + fixed artistic camera angles + crazy ass battle system + sophisticated skill system + lots of choices that affect who joins your party and how the characters bond with each other.

Nothing else scratches the same itch for me. We need more games like this dammit!

Top Bottom