• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: The Second Story Remake Announced for Switch/PS4/PS5/Steam releasing 11/2/23

graywolf323

edit: official OT is here

And we have a winner! 🔥

Lads and lasses the OT is ready: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star-ocean-the-second-story-r-ot-todos-los-dias.1662851/

Feel free to add the OT link to your OP graywolf323 graywolf323 . :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/14421-...a-remake-of-star-ocean-2-coming-november-2023

Second Story is one of my all-time favorite JRPGs so I’ll gladly play through it yet again with this improved remake

edit: you know I’m excited about this news because I almost never create threads 😛

edit 2: it’s happening!

edit 3: pre-orders are live (though you can’t buy it yet on eShop)

looks like it’s $50 for the digital and regular physical edition or $200 for the physical collector’s edition

Last edited:

JimboJones

Cool, played through the first one last year for the first time and enjoyed it, was a bit bummed when I learned the second one wasn't available.

graywolf323

I wish it was 3

Not that 2 is a bad game

3 is still my favorite
sure but currently 2 is the only one you can’t play on PS4/PS5 (personally I didn’t like 3 as much because of that infamous story choice they made)

so technically we’ve already gotten a port of 3, 2 is the only game in the series that has one that was never released in America

Last edited:
sure but currently 2 is the only one you can’t play on PS4/PS5 (personally I didn’t like 3 as much because of that infamous story choice they made)

so technically we’ve already gotten a port of 3, 2 is the only game in the series that has one that was never released in America

But I want a multplatform port of 3 though

Just wish they would re-release 2 - 6 on all platforms

As for the twists in the 3rd game, wasn't a turn off

I play Star Ocean for the gameplay not the story and I love to figure out ways to break the gameplay

Last edited:

Comandr

Thread title is slightly misleading. Second Story R appears to be a completely new title. The psp port is called Second Evolution.
51L0dUzqENL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Furthermore the typography is completely different from any Star Ocean title we have seen so far. I’d be willing to bet this might be an HD2D remake.

Assuming the game’s logo is correct this appears to be a new product, not a re-release of a previous product.

Last edited:
Thread title is slightly misleading. Second Story R appears to be a completely new title. The psp port is called Second Evolution.

Furthermore the typography is completely different from any Star Ocean title we have seen so far. I’d be willing to bet this might be an HD2D remake.

Assuming the game’s logo is correct this appears to be a new product, not a re-release of a previous product.
Someone Reaction GIF

Square................ don't you fuck this up.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

I kinda hope it’s not a HD2D remake and is instead an enhanced version of the original. I love the pre-rendered backgrounds, I don’t want them to be replaced with low res pixel art.

I kinda hope it’s not a HD2D remake and is instead an enhanced version of the original. I love the pre-rendered backgrounds, I don’t want them to be replaced with low res pixel art.
There will be violence if they fuck up the music, I have an extended version of Rena's theme in the melancholy folder on my phone to this day.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I would definitely be on board for this

daveonezero

Banned
I enjoyed the beginning of the first but I sort of peetered out. The combat started real interesting but sort of got boring and I just destroy things with the spell caster guy.

graywolf323

I mean that’d be more of a surprise because the game already has been ported to PS4 just not localized while First Evolution R did get localized

the only difference really is America never got SO1 before First Departure while we had the original SO2 and then the enhanced PSP port, so they very well might change it back to the original name for SO2 in America

the fact it still mentions R makes me inclined to think it’s an HD port of the PSP version just like First Evolution R was over a new remake

graywolf323

just announced at the Direct! (I’m at work so I’m following Nintendo Life’s live blog)

Star Ocean The Second Story R launches November 2nd, 2023

So wait, this is a different version vs what was released in Japan right? I thought that was a straight port basically, but the screenshots of R look like they re-rendered the backgrounds?

Needlecrash

So wait, this is a different version vs what was released in Japan right? I thought that was a straight port basically, but the screenshots of R look like they re-rendered the backgrounds?
Correct. Sorta. This is the 2.5D remake/remaster of Star Ocean Second Evolution (PSP, 2008).

We NEVER got PS4 port of 2nd Evolution that was available for the Japanese PS4.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is this going to ONLY be on Switch, or will it be Switch at launch and then eventually everything else? or everywhere from the start?

Chukhopops

It’s just wild how I haven’t played it in years and yet I instantly remembered all the music once the trailer started. So many memories of playing it the first time.

Looks gorgeous and will be perfect for Switch… although I still dream of a PC version to play it on Deck.

Draugoth

Gold Member

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R is coming to Nintendo Switch on November 2, 2023!

Wishlist today

The highly acclaimed second installment in the STAR OCEAN series returns as a full remake rebuilt with charming 2.5D graphics combining 3D environments and 2D pixel characters.

Experience an epic tale where Fantasy and Science Fiction collides as you get to know party members via the unique Private Actions system, grow their relationships and unlock a variety of different endings.

Play as either Claude or Rena and make decisions that will impact your destiny. Enjoy thrilling, visually explosive and fast-paced action battles paired with deep skills and crafting systems to customize your party.

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R is also coming to , PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4 and PC via STEAM® on November 2, 2023.

Last edited:

Sojiro

I fucking love this game. I played through it many times over back on the PS1 ages ago. Like I said in the Nintendo direct thread, I am still unsure on how I feel about the way the characters clash with the backgrounds, but I will still be picking this up for sure.

alf717

Always wondered why they put the first game on Switch but not the second but here we go. I'm looking forward to the remake.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Is this going to ONLY be on Switch, or will it be Switch at launch and then eventually everything else? or everywhere from the start?
as far as I’ve found we don’t know yet, the trailer has not been released on Square-Enix’s official channels that I’ve found

edit: nvm I missed this part

Square Enix also confirmed the same release date for PS4, PS5, and PC via Steam.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have somehow never played this game, despite loving JRPGs.

Based on everyone's reactions here, I'm in for a treat.
Same
At this point I've played SO 4-6 and I've been hearing great things about this over the years but never had a chance to play it. Day one! I just wish it wasn't so close to Super Mario RPG.

This is fantastic. The time out to get the Marvel Sword is worth it.
God I hope all the old broken strategies still work.

Step 1. Spam the skill that gives you money until you can afford the Thieves Gloves.

Step 2. Pickpocket the guy in Mars that gives you the treasure chest.

Step 3. Savescum your way to getting the Marvel Sword from RNJesus in the treasure chest.

Step 4. Overlevel in the mountains to the west that you have no business in for another 15 hours.

Leaving the intro area at level 35 gives you a great foundation to rip and tear through the entire game.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Going with the god-tier party of Claude, Opera, Bowman, and Chisato (with Opera handling healing duties with Healing Star)

Man it was so fun to break this game and spam the shit out of your best moves. Ripper Blast, Alpha on One, Poison/Explosion Pill, 10,000 Volts all day long.

Mr Hyde

Definitely getting this. Love Second Story but currently don't have any hardware to run my original PS1 copy.

Top Bottom