• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: The Second Story Remake Announced for Switch/PS4/PS5/Steam releasing 11/2/23

alf717

Step 4. Overlevel in the mountains to the west that you have no business in for another 15 hours.

Leaving the intro area at level 35 gives you a great foundation to rip and tear through the entire game.
This is the area in the mountains where you fight those worm/centipede looking things and can level up fast cause of the gun that Claude still has right? If it is I remember using that on a second playthrough. I believe they can suck up your characters. I also recall gaining a pretty decent sword from that same area. Also... "Crawd has advanced forward"

Krathoon

The whole 2D sprites on 3D is for the people who grew up with that on the PlayStation with games like Grandia and Wild Arms 2.

Reactions: Dis
This is the area in the mountains where you fight those worm/centipede looking things and can level up fast cause of the gun that Claude still has right? If it is I remember using that on a second playthrough. I believe they can suck up your characters. I also recall gaining a pretty decent sword from that same area. Also... "Crawd has advanced forward"
Right place afaik, but you're able to do it because of the Marvel Sword, not the laser sidearm that breaks in the intro.

Wow, the characters completely clash with the environment, looks fucking awful.
Zoomer GIF by Kubb&co

Saw this during the direct and all I could think was, “I’m definitely getting this, just not on switch”
Glad to see it’s coming to basically every platform.
Now just gotta hope they remake SO3, my favorite entry.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Thread title is slightly misleading. Second Story R appears to be a completely new title. The psp port is called Second Evolution.
51L0dUzqENL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Furthermore the typography is completely different from any Star Ocean title we have seen so far. I’d be willing to bet this might be an HD2D remake.

Assuming the game’s logo is correct this appears to be a new product, not a re-release of a previous product.
Nope. Same game.
Different camera work.

Pallas

Gold Member
This is great, and I love the artistic style of the remake. Does the Switch have any of the other star ocean games?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I hope the exact opposite. HD2D has been one of the best innovations in the last 6 years.
What I didn’t want was pixel-y retro styled graphics but in 3D. Thankfully it seems they really kept the feel of the original environments judging by the trailer. It looks awesome (also glad they kept the sprite characters). Totally hyped for this.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
damn man I can’t wait for this. The changes to the battle system look intriguing. Looks like they added some kind of combo/break mechanic + the ability to call in inactive party members for a special attack.

Wonder if they will actually make mages good…. This could change everything!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Eat your cock sucking hard out you son of a bitch Starfield. This is a proper looking remake that doesn't deviate entirely from the original visuals. Worth commending and honestly I'm sold based on that trailer. I love Star Ocean one and two especially. This is how you do the remake that looks true to the original while modernizing it enough.

swarley64

This looked gorgeous! The trailer made it look like it might be an action RPG, but I thought the original was turn based?

Oberstein

I'm a bit curious about the technical aspect. This is no ordinary HD-2D. There are very distinct 2D sprites in the foreground and pre-calculated backgrounds in the distance?

The grass in one of the images is basic 3D, apparently, but the background looks like it's been overlaid.

SOTSSR_Vol1_p16__58290.1687369522.jpg

SOTSSR_Vol1_p18__79118.1687369514.jpg

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I haven't been thrilled with S-E's remake treatment but this is EXACTLY what I have wanted from their various 16 bit franchises. Looks FANTASTIC!
I agree 100%

F*ck all the haters who bash on remakes.
I'm having the time of my life right now, seeing my favorite games getting rejuvenated like this.

Now all we need is;

FF6
Chrono Tigger
Xenogears

and we can rest easy.

Pejo

I agree 100%

F*ck all the haters who bash on remakes.
I'm having the time of my life right now, seeing my favorite games getting rejuvenated like this.

Now all we need is;

FF6
Chrono Tigger
Xenogears

and we can rest easy.
FF6 and Chrono Trigger in this style would be a dream come true, honestly.

Shifty1897

I got curious and googled who is making this. Dev is Gemdrops, who made CRYSTAR, among other lesser known games. Tri-Ace is not involved at all. It hurts my heart, but I have to support this with everything I have in hopes Square Enix will port Valkyrie Profile 2 and Radiata Stories to modern consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom