• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is cancelling all digital PS4 pre-orders of Hitman

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Square Enix should delay the game until it's 100% finished and can this beyond horrible price model. Sorry SE, im not stupid enough to pay you $60 up front for a 20% completed game and then have to depend on them giving me the other 80% in a timely manner not to mention the fact that I would have to have confidence in that 80% being good. Sorry but no. This will bomb horribly.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It will be a timed XOne exclusive, with a PS4 version coming 12 months later?

I'm a slow typist :-(
Nah, they wouldn't screw with their PC fanbase.
It will be a "U ain't playing this on PS4" exclusive.

Conceptually they had a really good idea. Making a base pack and evolving that based on how players react and want.

It's a good idea, and a very collaborative development process where they actually acknowledge the community and what they want and reacting to it within months. Instead of going "We'll make a note, see you in three years".

They botched the communications aspect, but I hope they stick to their guns and do it. Because it's a cool idea.

Why not release a full product and than take feedback into consideration? I mean they released Absolution and got allot of criticism and info on what the player like or didn't.

MUnited83

For you.
"Travis ‏@IO_Travis 2m2 minutes ago
@VG_Dave Don't panic. We're adjusting a few things and will update in a few days. The release date is still March 11th." - Hitman community manager
Good good. No more delays for this I hope. "Full game" complainers can do just what they would do if the game was only releasing on launch: wait . but this way they will actually get a better game in the end.
Hopefully they've realised nobody was falling for the bullshit episodic model they came up with. In this day and age, nobody sane would pay $60 for half a game with SE pinky-swearing that there will be another half a game to come.
they sell the first half separately if thats what you prefer.

kevin1025

Banned
I haven't heard of cancelled preorders if some things are being changed. Have game preorders been cancelled on people before because of price changes?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wonder if this has anything to do with them moving away from their pseudo-Early Access release model. If they've changed their mind significantly on the roll-out plan, Sony's existing Terms of Service may have forced them to refund any pre-orders.

Probably. If it's no longer episodic, or it goes even more F2P it would be a dramatic shift.

Ha! If this ever happened the fallout would be glorious. To have it listed, preorders taken, and pulled because of some exclusivity deal... MAN!

Obviously that would suck for ps4 Hitman fans. But I have to admit, I wouldn't mind peeking into some Elseworld dimension to see how that would play out :)

You don't have to. Just go into a TR thread and replace TR with Hitman. I'm sure the reactions would largely be the same.

I can't wish for anything like that though. Hitman's on way shakier ground then TR. And after absolution, this game is make or break for the franchise I feel like.

Another example of Eidos's bad communication. The release in March is $35 (?) Which gives you half of the game and you can pay $20 (?) To upgrade to the full version once it releases.

I see no issue with it as it seems geared towards the hardcore crowd but I'm still skeptical about new-IO's ability to capture a next Gen Blood Money.

No inside info from me, just speculation.

Why would they cancel pre-orders if the game will be released in 'full' at launch? Surely that is a damn site better than what people pre ordered.

Is it more likely we may see a 'proper' episodic game, with Episode prices, like a Telltale type game.

Colour me intrigued.

ReaperXL7

I'm kind of surprised that people seem to take issue with the business model for this game as it always sounded pretty much exactly like Nintendos model with Splatoon and Mario Maker to me and people love those games. All of the content after release was going to be free wasn't it?

I'm really curious to see how this turns out as I would love a new good Hitman game.

"F2P" always online game with heavy microtransaction or episodic game with moderate microtransactions? Choose your poison.

I haven't followed it closely, bacause it has sounded a bit weird straight from the start.

DOWN

Banned
Umm... What. Of course they'll get the money back.

He's joking. Sony customer support always claims they simply don't have the ability to issue money back for pre-orders or serious errors when customers ask, yet here they are doing it at will when a publisher says to.

rrs

I think that the hybrid episodic formula is fine, but can bring some risk of killing off long term full game sales if later content is just awful. I think the closest thing to what Hitman is doing is SCS's American Truck simulator, which ships with a few trucks, California, and a shown promise from ETS2 to a few years of updates adding much more content to the game.

I personally think it's a neat idea to spread out when the game is played, and release some more games during usual months of nothingness with a complete in content game ready in time for the holiday rush

eksy

Banned
Is this Hitman beta only available if you preorder from the Square Enix store?

I don't see it listed as a preorder thing on GS or Amazon

Probably something to do with terms and conditions somewhere?? I am guessing they have to re-list the game as early access or something.

chadskin

As good a sign as any to not preorder the game. I'll wait and what model this game actually uses.

13304603918640.195.c99571e18da7a63b1b47aa95856acc1b.jpg

HeelPower

I really hope it means well for the game.
The game seems extremely promising and it seems they're being careful with it,unlike Tomb Raider dumping last year.

Z3M0G

I'm surprised this only did the rounds for a couple of hours... Jim's new video really put this into light.

What is the source of the above graphic? Is that trust-worthy?

LOL "Let me try it out" = $35. "I want the rest" = $30. Ummmm...

Top Bottom