• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Planning To Release Multiple Blockchain Games Next Fiscal Year

Draugoth

Gold Member
Forspoken_MarchTrailerScreen_03.jpg

Square Enix CEO, Yosuke Matsuda has said that the publisher will be launching its new blockchain games in FY23/24.

The statement comes following a disappointing result for Square Enix’s latest release, Forspoken, of which the game’s performance was described as “lackluster”. Despite the lackluster performance, Square Enix is still hoping that its blockchain games will be more of a success.

The information comes via a Financial Results Briefing that was published today but dates back to February 3, 2023. During a Q&A segment, Yosuke Matsuda was asked about Square Enix’s forecasted growth for FY2024/3, to which he responded:

“Major title launches will not be concentrated solely in FY2024/3. We have organized our pipeline so that we will have a good spread of new releases in FY2025/3 and beyond as well. We also hope that you will look forward to the blockchain games we plan to launch in FY2024/3 and thereafter.”

Several game companies have explored NFT and blockchain technology in the past, with Ubisoft being the most public when it comes to its NFT exploration and subsequent failures. Ubisoft Quartz, announced in early 2022 was the first major announcement when it came to publishers exploring NFT technology, however, that idea seemingly dwindled following its first NFT release with Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Jinzo Prime

Square Enix CEO, Yosuke Matsuda has said that the publisher will be launching its new blockchain games in FY23/24.

The statement comes following a disappointing result for Square Enix’s latest release, Forspoken, of which the game’s performance was described as “lackluster”. Despite the lackluster performance, Square Enix is still hoping that its blockchain games will be more of a success.

Several game companies have explored NFT and blockchain technology in the past, with Ubisoft being the most public when it comes to its NFT exploration and subsequent failures. Ubisoft Quartz, announced in early 2022 was the first major announcement when it came to publishers exploring NFT technology, however, that idea seemingly dwindled following its first NFT release with Ghost Recon Breakpoint.
Hooray, this will surely turn the company fortunes around and provide profitability to all shareholders! It's time to invest!

/s

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Would love to know where’s this audience they are chasing
lmao these assholes just don't learn, do they?
This company really doesn’t get it.
When you have a clown as a leader, it's hard to do normal business.

They are investing on a dying business, instead of actually fixing their studios and hire better writers.

Even EA isn't this much stupid.

https://noisypixel.net/square-enix-president-2023-blockchain-focus-aggressive/

Last edited:

kevm3

Those suits who are far disconnected from gaming must have thought that this web 3.0 garbage was going to be a goldmine. Nobody wants blockchain or nfts in games. What benefit to the gamer does this serve?

poodaddy

This might be the only thread I've ever seen where literally every poster is in agreement. Kind of a beautiful thing. Finally, we can all come together and say....."lick my taint Square."

Feels good huh? All warm and fuzzy in here. I love you guys, almost as much as I'll love seeing Square Enix fail hard with their crypto push. Can't fuckin wait.

As a person who works in the gaming industry, I will make sure to write and talk about NFTS in the "nicest" way possible if you catch my drift.

This will be fun. Seriously, fuck NFTs nothing good comes from it for the consumer.

El Muerto

Man, they must really want to go bankrupt. I bet Phil Spencer is standing by, waiting for Squeenix to go on sale next year.

StereoVsn

Bro, NFTs are the shit! You can buy a random Ape and earn great returns! This will be gold, gold!

Play to Earn is all the rage too!

SE CEO who is couple years out of touch

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This will feel so fucking good when it inevitably crashes and burns.

Fbh

I'm just glad we are getting FFXVI before they go under. Hopefully they can finish the FF7 Remake project too.

People said Square hit rock bottom years ago. If that was rock bottom, what is this?

"Nowhere but up now, right Square?"
"Hold my beer"

falafel-gifalafel-hazfalafel-icanhasfalafel-reaction-gif-reaction-%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%A7%D7%91%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%9C%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C.gif

Last edited:

Kacho

Square is like that 5'4" dude that walks around with his chest out to look like a big man. You make niche games, Square. Embrace that. Don't burn the remaining goodwill you have with your fans. Jesus.

At least Konami was respectable enough to bow out of gaming entirely to make pachinko machines.

Barakov

Gold Member

Law And Order Reaction GIF by ION Mystery

They just released a turd with Forspoken. Shouldn't they wait a bit before releasing another one? Especially several in a single year?

Gambit2483

Square is like that 5'4" dude that walks around with his chest out to look like a big man. You make niche games, Square. Embrace that. Don't burn the remaining goodwill you have with your fans. Jesus.

At least Konami was respectable enough to bow out of gaming entirely to make pachinko machines.
Let's not disrespect an industry Legend...
Yes they have made mistakes but SquareEnix is

Chrono Trigger
Nier Automata series
ALL Final Fantasy (the good ones, Online, Tactics, etc.)
The Kingdom Hearts Saga
Dragon Quest Franchise
The World Ends with You Franchise
Legend/Secret/Trials of Mana
Modern Tomb Raider
Live A Live
Bravely Default Franchise
Octopath Traveller Franchise (new IP)

They have more than enough credit and contributions to this industry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom