• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Sends Cease-And-Desist For Reverse-Engineered Carmageddon Engine

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems Square Enix's habits apply to Eidos' properties now.

Beefjack said:
Square Enix Cease-And-Desists Amateur Dev For Carmageddon Spin-Off

Square Enix have issued a cease and desist order to an independent, amateur developer who released a free game based on Carmageddon.

Squeenix are the holders of the Carmageddon copyright, but the controversial driving game (pictured) is 13 years old and no longer available to purchase.

According to the developer, who goes by the name 1AM Studios, the cease and desist order said: “[your] actions have already caused and will if they continue cause substantial damage to the value of Square Enix’s copyrights and you will understand that Square Enix cannot allow this clear infringement to continue.”

The copyright stipulates that no underlying computer code, audio or visual aspects of the game can be used by anyone without the company’s expressed permission.

Square Enix allegedly demanded that the developer stop working on the project and remove it from public release.

But Mr. 1AM Studios, having renamed the game to OpenC1, says he intends to re-upload the game as soon as he’s finished removing any overt references to Carmageddon.

“The computer code for OpenC1 is MY intellectual property,” he said. “There is no part of my code which Square Enix has any control or copyright over. I absolutely assert my right to work on it and distribute it as I see fit.”

A representative of Square Enix has told us he is looking into the matter. We’ll keep you updated.
Source: http://beefjack.com/news/square-enix-cease-and-desists-amateur-dev-for-carmageddon-spin-off/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
S-E is being a real twat about fan games.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Glad the dude's taking a stand

Should be some nice advertising for his game too

Darklord

Banned
God, Square Enix are such whiny bitches about this shit. It's been fucking YEARS since the last game in the series and the genre is nearly dead. What the fuck do you want to kill fan made games for?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LiK said:
Wow, didnt know someone cared about this title enough to make a fan game.
Apparently SE does enough to shut it down. I'm they will continue their hard work now that someone has started it /rolleyes

Darklord said:
God, Square Enix are such whiny bitches about this shit. It's been fucking YEARS since the last game in the series and the genre is nearly dead. What the fuck do you want to kill fan made games for?

Because it is in their right to do so. The creator was silly using any references to Carmageddon and should have just used some original ideas.

Warm Machine said:
Because it is in their right to do so. The creator was silly using any references to Carmageddon and should have just used some original ideas.
Princess Skittles said:

Um, no. He made an engine that would run the original Carmageddon on modern systems and used the demo in the package he distributed. He did not make his own Carmageddon game.

Darklord said:
If they dont make efforts like this to protect an IP they can lose it. But by all means keep on believing that a major corporation taking legal action within their rights are being "whiny bitches".

They're complete dicks about stuff like this. Chrono Trigger remake, I will never forget you.

This is one of those rare, baffling moments when we can look towards Sega as a beacon of reason and common sense.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Beefjack said:
According to the developer, who goes by the name 1AM Studios, the cease and desist order said: “[your] actions have already caused and will if they continue cause substantial damage to the value of Square Enix’s copyrights and you will understand that Square Enix cannot allow this clear infringement to continue.”

fCp48.jpg

Nairume

Banned
I think the larger point here is that the fan game developer wised up and realized that he can make his game without relying on using stuff from the existing property, and continued development from there. I mean, is it really that hard for people to do homages to their favorite games without outright ripping the actual property off?

But whatever, I'm sure this discussion is probably is going to just end up being more whining about Chrono Ressurection.

Squeenix have been acting like little bitches since the start of HD gen. I miss the old Square which made Tobal no.1/2, Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross.

Ninja Scooter said:
If they dont make efforts like this to protect an IP they can lose it. But by all means keep on believing that a major corporation taking legal action within their rights are being "whiny bitches".
Exactly. If SE doesn't take actions like this against fan projects, they risk losing their IP like SEGA lost Sonic and Nintendo lost Mario and Zelda.

Srsly

Banned
I'm completely done with SE...actually, I've been done with them for a while. My last SE purchase was FFXII and it will be so until something major changes within the company. The current iteration of SE is nothing more than a conglomeration of once cherished IPs either being ignored or being driven into the ground by uncreative hacks. It's a shame because Square was once my favorite developer.

Darklord

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:

I don't care if it's in their right it's still a bitch move. Look at Gearbox, they are giving there blessings to the Duke Nukem 3D remake, right next to them making a new Duke Nukem game. How about Valve supporting the Half-Life 1 source remake. They embrace these as good things, not clamp down on fan games of old, dead IP's.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Srsly said:
I'm completely done with SE...actually, I've been done with them for a while. My last SE purchase was FFXII and it will be so until something major changes within the company. The current iteration of SE is nothing more than a conglomeration of once cherished IPs either being ignored or being driven into the ground by uncreative hacks. It's a shame because Square was once my favorite developer.
fightthepower.gif

Nairume

Banned
Darklord said:
I don't care if it's in their right it's still a bitch move. Look at Gearbox, they are giving there blessings to the Duke Nukem 3D remake, right next to them making a new Duke Nukem game. How about Valve supporting the Half-Life 1 source remake. They embrace these as good things, not clamp down on fan games of old, dead IP's.
Won't Black Mesa: Source require that you own Half-Life 2? Valve is still getting money out of it, if that is the case.

Most of these projects that SE has gone after have been stuff that brings nothing to them, outside of supposed good will.

Srsly

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
fightthepower.gif

I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't support SE because they've evolved into a terrible company that no longer produces anything of interest.

Backfoggen said:
Um, no. He made an engine that would run the original Carmageddon on modern systems and used the demo in the package he distributed. He did not make his own Carmageddon game.

That isn't what the article states. It is a pretty confused issue what he actually did.

Srsly said:
I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't support SE because they've evolved into a terrible company that no longer produces anything of interest.
Princess Skittles is above it all.

What do I mean by 'it'? Whatever you got.

I think its a bitch move by Square Enix but the developer of the fan game could have started with everything that is fan essential for a good Carmageddon game that added his own touches and some ideas to it.

Anerythristic said:
I think its a bitch move by Square Enix but the developer of the fan game could have started with everything that is fan essential for a good Carmageddon game that added his own touches and some ideas to it.
And he will. And that is a better situation for all.

Borman

It's funny that SE thinks that the code that someone else wrote is under their copyright, let alone the sounds and visuals (minus, of course, clear representations of the original works). But come on, basic copyright common sense would make me think that someone else cant copyright MY work (well, without permission anyway, but thats different).

Nairume

Banned
You know, in regards to the number of people acting as if SquareEnix's recent "quality" means that they should not be allowed to protect their properties, I am willing to bet internet funbucks
A non-existing and non-negotiable currency
that at least half of the people making these statements have highly enjoyed at least one SquareEnix game that has been released in the past year or so.

Top Bottom