• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square's Ian Livingstone talks next-gen; hints at always-on, used game-blocking Xbox

Alx

The thing for me is this... digital is not physical. If I own a book physical, it has a physical, tangible value. If I own a book digital... how can they properly quanitfy the value? There is no manufactering costs... no logistics, no bounds to supply.

Yeah but to be fair, when you're paying for a game, you're not paying $50/70€ worth of disk pressing, leaflet printing and box distribution. Most of the price is for the content on the disk (or its license, from the publisher point of view), not the logistics.

If all this talk about Microsoft blocking used games is true they can go and die. Even if I never buy used games I'm not going to buy a console that goes to such lengths to screw the consumer just so the company can secure more profit.

shandy706

“So they’ve gone halfway,” he added, giving the example of Microsoft’s supposed next-gen approach, “With the next Xbox, you supposedly...

zzzzzzzzzzzz

Let's wait for April.....

Ok, say it's all true. Always online and no used games at all. How the hell to they announce it?
Do they try to tell people during a conference or presser? Do they even attempt to spin it in a positive way? Or, do we just get the info released in a magazine or article while they don't comment. It feels like they would wait until the last possible chance and get as much hype as possible before doing so.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, say it's all true. Always online and no used games at all. How the hell to they announce it?
Do they try to tell people during a conference or presser? Do they even attempt to spin it in a positive way? Or, do we just get the info released in a magazine or article while they don't comment. It feels like they would wait until the last possible chance and get as much hype as possible before doing so.

Don't mention much of it. Since your shit won't be sold in brick and mortar stores, just tell people how to buy the games. You just simply don't say anything about resale, that's the consumer's problem. They've never had to mention it before, so they won't start now.

If it's how they see it then it's true that that division is run by a bunch of accountants and not games people. there is so much reason to not do it and all they seem to care aboit is how they can gouge consumers.
When Don Mattrick,Phil Spencer and Phil Harrison become accountants?

graboids

always online, and no used games sounds horrible, and I almost forgot the mandatory Kinect rumor... when does the GOOD news about the next Xbox leak out?

always online, and no used games sounds horrible, and I almost forgot the mandatory Kinect rumor... when does the GOOD news about the next Xbox leak out?

I don't know, but with all the rumors swirling it better come soon. My enthusiasm for the coming generation is dwindling. From day 1 to wait and see for me.

I need to get into gaming "journalism." You get a free pass on committing plagiarism, everybody expects you to be a sellout, it's PERFECT! Case in point:

Eidos President: Next Xbox Uses Watermarked Discs - GameInformer

This article credits a GameSpot article, which cites an MCV India article. Telephone. Wonderful!

What gets me is that the president is clearly quoted having used the word "supposedly," furthermore while creating a theoretical situation for the discussion. The actual conversation was about the adoption of digital distribution. Not the next Xbox.

This "journalist" has a lengthy discussion with a guy in charge of a gaming company about the future of retail, but it's whittled down until one misrepresented soundbyte about the next Xbox remains. Just sad.

I'm not saying that the next Xbox couldn't possibly "use watermarked discs," but pointing out that the criteria for being a gaming journalist is little different from a redditor, and it's only going to get worse.

From this:
Actual Reported Conversation said:
On the possibility of boxed retail being abandoned in favour of digital distribution, Livingstone told MCV, “Boxed games aren’t being abandoned just yet. I think the next iteration of consoles – the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don’t want to have them. Broadband speed globally isn’t at a level that justifies digital-only.”

“So they’ve gone halfway,” he added, giving the example of Microsoft’s supposed next-gen approach, “With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

Livingstone also opined that the PS4 and the next Xbox could well be the last generation of consoles in their traditional form. “It’s difficult to predict because so many factors come into play, not least of which is how fast broadband is going to be. It’s likely that there won’t be a set-top box anymore. It’s likely to be technology embedded into a smart TV that’s connected to the internet and everything will be served from the cloud."
To this:
GameInformer Article Name said:
Eidos President: Next Xbox Uses Watermarked Discs
Anything for clicks, SMH

abadguy

Banned
I need to get into gaming "journalism." You get a free pass on committing plagiarism, everybody expects you to be a sellout, it's PERFECT! Case in point:

Eidos President: Next Xbox Uses Watermarked Discs - GameInformer

This article credits a GameSpot article, which cites an MCV India article. Telephone. Wonderful!

What gets me is that the president is clearly quoted having used the word "supposedly," furthermore while creating a theoretical situation for the discussion. The actual conversation was about the adoption of digital distribution. Not the next Xbox.

This "journalist" has a lengthy discussion with a guy in charge of a gaming company about the future of retail, but it's whittled down until one misrepresented soundbyte about the next Xbox remains. Just sad.

I'm not saying that the next Xbox couldn't possibly "use watermarked discs," but pointing out that the criteria for being a gaming journalist is little different from a redditor, and it's only going to get worse.

From this:To this:Anything for clicks, SMH

That's game journalism for you!

I used the word supposedly today.

I told a friend of mine that Dave Grohl was supposedly going to be playing at SXSW.

I used the word because I'd heard rumors, not because I was contracted to secrecy and forced to use weasel words.

Oddduck

Although I don't buy used games, I do like to sell my games. So I can't imagine supporting a system that banned used games.

Into

Please do not be true..

For me this is even worse than the 599 debacle, that was just a little bit of extra money, but this would impact the console for next 5 years

I really want to buy the next Xbox, but if this stuff is true then there is no way i can support that.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
As I said in the other thread. I can't imagine this ever happening.

Way, waaaay too many people playing on Xbox 360's that never connect their consoles online.

I thought they had figured out how to do it offline. You put some sort of tag on the disk and it gets modified by the first system it gets put into. Then the disk itself is linked to they system and if you put it into another system it wont work unless you also connect to your account. That way you could play the disk on other systems as long as it was the person who bought the game's account. That way you don't need an online connection.

ascii42

I thought they had figured out how to do it offline. You put some sort of tag on the disk and it gets modified by the first system it gets put into. Then the disk itself is linked to they system and if you put it into another system it wont work unless you also connect to your account. That way you could play the disk on other systems as long as it was the person who bought the game's account. That way you don't need an online connection.

How do you connect it to your account without logging in?

FLAguy954

This is the same approach that Sony is currently taking. Stockpile massive amounts of hype that can be used to later shield potential consumers from the bomb of bad news. This is gonna be a very interesting year.

Top Bottom