• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

GloveSlap

So BestBuy has this for $9.99 if you use the $30 off coupon in their Gamer magazine. Is it worth jumping in at that price? I love SSX3 but I wasn't crazy about the SSX demo, something about it just didn't feel right.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So BestBuy has this for $9.99 if you use the $30 off coupon in their Gamer magazine. Is it worth jumping in at that price? I love SSX3 but I wasn't crazy about the SSX demo, something about it just didn't feel right.

I think so, although it would be less exciting than it was for me at launch just because at that time a lot of people were playing. Half the fun is adding people to your friends list and trying to beat their time or just participating in the global events.

$10 is a great price for this game.

On another note, I've been playing SSX 3 in HD via the PCSX2 and my god is it sweet. :p

ChuckNyce

Picked this up a couple days ago for $9.99 from Best Buy (PS3). I don't play a lot of extreme sports games and never got into the previous SSX games, but the demo that came out earlier in the year really gave me a cool Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 vibe. I gotta say, man this game is addicting. Ended up playing for about 3 hours last night participating in Global Events and doing some of the SP stuff. Some really cool MP ideas going on here but I have no one on my friend's list who still plays this. Anyone looking for some easy scores to crush, please add me! (PSN = ChuckNyce)

Picked this up a couple days ago for $9.99 from Best Buy (PS3). I don't play a lot of extreme sports games and never got into the previous SSX games, but the demo that came out earlier in the year really gave me a cool Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 vibe. I gotta say, man this game is addicting. Ended up playing for about 3 hours last night participating in Global Events and doing some of the SP stuff. Some really cool MP ideas going on here but I have no one on my friend's list who still plays this. Anyone looking for some easy scores to crush, please add me! (PSN = ChuckNyce)

I'll add you or you can add me, gonna start playing a lot more soon.
killthem16 is my psn

Just got the game at Best Buy. Am I crazy or do the classic controls put you at a huge disadvantage? It feels like you move/spin significantly slower...

I'm gradually discoverIng that. A lot of little touches like requiring you to let go of all shoulder buttons (and square) to move to a new trick make the "classic" controls a) not exactly classic controls and b) a massive pain in the ass lol. Not to mention the fact that they didn't even bother displaying tooltips for classic in the menus. They're pretty much directly saying "we couldn't care less about this control scheme." The game honestly doesn't feel a whole lot like the SSX I remember anyway so may as well adapt.

Edit: This takes a bit of getting used to lol. And yeah unless I had been doing something wrong you spin so much faster in Standard that it's humorous.

soultron

Banned
I'm gradually discoverIng that. A lot of little touches like requiring you to let go of all shoulder buttons (and square) to move to a new trick make the "classic" controls a) not exactly classic controls and b) a massive pain in the ass lol. Not to mention the fact that they didn't even bother displaying tooltips for classic in the menus. They're pretty much directly saying "we couldn't care less about this control scheme." The game honestly doesn't feel a whole lot like the SSX I remember anyway so may as well adapt.

Edit: This takes a bit of getting used to lol. And yeah unless I had been doing something wrong you spin so much faster in Standard that it's humorous.

It's not that the devs didn't care -- they cared enough to put them in at the request of hardcore SSX vets. My guess is that they had made the loading screen assets and the tutorial bits before they got Classic controls in there. I get the feeling that the team knew the game played better with Standard as well, so they wanted to keep new players away from even trying a control scheme that would make getting into this game quite difficult.

Trust me though, as a "SSX vet," the game plays very well with the Standard controls. Oh, and use buttons, not the sticks. :p

You'd have to be the most stubborn of vets to force yourself into sticking with Classic. But kudos to you if you can!

Ever since it came out in march I have mixed feelings about the game. I was addicted to SSX3/On tour, this game has great and fast gameplay, the only thing I dislike are the tracks thesmelves. I just wanna snowboard and do crazy tricks, I dont wanna keep looking out to not fall in that hole and use rewind everytime.

I'm all in for a new SSX, with the gameplay of the new one and tracks of the old ones.

I played a bit last week, first time in like forever. Got four gold medals left in Africa before I have them all. Have there been any word on more DLC? I know the devs said they wanted this to be the year of SSX similair to what they did with Burnout.

Where the heck is the demo? I can't find it anywhere. (EU PSN)

I checked and couldn't find it either. So I went into "View downloads" to see if I could access it from there. (As I got the demo back in march.) I started a new download to see if it worked and it did, so it should technically still exist somewhere I guess.

Don't listen to Tokubetsu, use bottunz.

Don't listen to either of em. Use Kinect.

iEJB54yChDJky.gif

soultron

Banned
ssxdlcmeme.jpg

Credit goes to CurryKingDH from Merq for the above image!

I would love to hear Soultron's defense of the game if it was a Kinect title tbh.

:lol I would have to get Kinect first, wouldn't I?

The devs fought to keep Kinect out of the equation with SSX2012, as far as I know.

Also, some twitter rumblings:

Todd Batty's twitter said:
Oh man, #SSX fans are in for a treat soon #YOP

I want to play games again. Just got my first industry job (It's not with EA, I'll say that much!) and I've not played anything since starting. I'd sneak some SSX time for sure though if there's new content coming!

I know nothing however, so you'd be better checking MerqCity, Todd's twitter, or the EASportsSSX twitter for the updates as they hit.

I'll be making new threads in Gaming's main page and updating this OT when the news trickles out. You guys can always count on me! :p

Fantastical

Death Prophet
At this point I want a new game, not DLC. There are too many things that annoy me about this game. I mean, I really like it, but I would love an SSX Tricky.

soultron

Banned
I wonder what they'll have in store. I'd love a reason to pop this back in for the next year like I was doing it Burnout Paradise.

Apparently Mr. Gibeau (Pres. EA Labels, IIRC) thought the launch was successful and liked the online, so who knows what's in store.

Joystiq said:
EA's other big reboot this year, SSX, apparently fared [better than Syndicate]. Gibeau called this year's revival "a very successful launch for us," and lauded the game's "online innovation" as a catalyst for bringing the series back. "It's done well and you'll probably see more in the future," Gibeau concluded. Rest of article linked here.

Good to hear. I've really fallen off gaming in 2012, but SSX is something I always want to go back to, even for just a little while. So well built for that kind of play. I know some of the tracks weren't the best, but as far as Compelling Further Play, it's a brilliant game.

Hale-XF11

The actual gameplay is fantastic. The controls always feel great. It's the shitty tracks with death pits and generally poor track design that hinder the overall experience.

That being said, it's nice to hear EA acknowledge that the game was successful, because I do want more, especially if we get more wide open tracks with all the flare of Mt. Eddie and then some.

soultron

Banned
The actual gameplay is fantastic. The controls always feel great. It's the shitty tracks with death pits and generally poor track design that hinder the overall experience.

That being said, it's nice to hear EA acknowledge that the game was successful, because I do want more, especially if we get more wide open tracks with all the flare of Mt. Eddie and then some.

Good news for most is that, due to fan feedback (see Mt. Eddie, for example), I think "death pits" will be on the outs, for the most part.

It's a shame because I like them. :p

Good news for most is that, due to fan feedback (see Mt. Eddie, for example), I think "death pits" will be on the outs, for the most part.

It's a shame because I like them. :p

There's a place for pits, but c'mon son, some of the tracks in SSX 2012 are straight up ridiculous. This is an arcade snowboarding game with very loose turning controls, not Super Mario Galaxy. The pits should be easily seen and placed strategically, not all willy nilly.

soultron

Banned
There's a place for pits, but c'mon son, some of the tracks in SSX 2012 are straight up ridiculous. This is an arcade snowboarding game with very loose turning controls, not Super Mario Galaxy. The pits should be easily seen and placed strategically, not all willy nilly.

I won't convince you that I think, given the mechanics at the player's disposal, they're fine. I completely understand that having the tools to deal with something and enjoying using said tools are two completely different things, don't worry. :p

A player could theoretically rewind to learn the death pit locations on any given track they were having real trouble and then restart once they reach the finish. Next run they'd be prepped. I realise this is a hyper-ideal situation and that time is money... I know, I know.

balddemon

Banned
friend from here still has my game...don't even think he touched it lol

idk why he wanted to borrow it, all he ever did was talk shit about it lmao

I won't convince you that I think, given the mechanics at the player's disposal, they're fine. I completely understand that having the tools to deal with something and enjoying using said tools are two completely different things, don't worry. :p

A player could theoretically rewind to learn the death pit locations on any given track they were having real trouble and then restart once they reach the finish. Next run they'd be prepped. I realise this is a hyper-ideal situation and that time is money... I know, I know.

I felt like the controls were still a little loose to handle such a large number of pits. Land even slightly off in some situations and your boarder turns into a human pinball and may force their way into a hole.

soultron

Banned
I felt like the controls were still a little loose to handle such a large number of pits. Land even slightly off in some situations and your boarder turns into a human pinball and may force their way into a hole.

I thought that with enough time, you really start to get used to predicting how the physics interactions "read" before they happen. It's hard to describe but, say you're in a spin and you're moving ---> into a slope that is opposite to your direction

--> /

You'd figure out that your boarder, dependent on speed, is going to not continue forward, but go back down that slope. Your right-to-left direction will also be reversed as well because your direction of motion is reversed (you're simply waiting for the camera to spin around to reflect the change in direction) and your control is not tied to the camera direction (it is tied to the character and their actual orientation with respect to their velocity/angular momentum; forgive my physics terms if I'm wrong.), if you pay special attention to these reverse-slope landing situations and know how to predict which way you're going to steer properly to get out of/adjust your course moving forward.

Of course this can all be avoided if you have boost; enough to get you up and over that reverse-slope you just landed on. Furthermore, applying boost before (this is where track memorization comes into play) jumps with tricky reverse-sloped landings can also ensure you overshoot certain reverse-slope situations. c:

It's very hard to describe without videos, sorry.

It certainly takes some time to get used to the new physics system to get a proper read on things, if you'll allow me to say that to condense the above into a really brief statement.

I found it enjoyable though, personally. As someone who was really into the Skate games, I felt prepared (much moreso than someone who hadn't played Skate) to read the physics interactions and make fairly accurate predictions that make adjusting course to maintain decent lines when first learning the tracks.

This is such a love-hate game for me. I don't think I have ever played a game where the highs are so high and the lows so low. When it's at its best it's everything I want from SSX, when it's at its worst (Africa) it makes me hate it with a burning passion.

For example, I got four gold medals left in explore, all of them Africa backcountry. Trying to get one of the race its and falling down death pits just made me lose my temper, wondering how a developer can fuck up so royally with a game. Then playing Bulldog trick it to calm down and improving my own score without trying (take that MMaRsu) the game just shines. Feeling good about myself I go to The Big Wachowski thinking I'm gonna take top place on the race it, as I'm only a second behind the leader. Seeing Wiggler take off in a wingsuit just made me pissed again. (Nothing against you Wiggler, I was still on edge since africa.)

MMaRsu

Banned
This is such a love-hate game for me. I don't think I have ever played a game where the highs are so high and the lows so low. When it's at its best it's everything I want from SSX, when it's at its worst (Africa) it makes me hate it with a burning passion.

For example, I got four gold medals left in explore, all of them Africa backcountry. Trying to get one of the race its and falling down death pits just made me lose my temper, wondering how a developer can fuck up so royally with a game. Then playing Bulldog trick it to calm down and improving my own score without trying (take that MMaRsu) the game just shines. Feeling good about myself I go to The Big Wachowski thinking I'm gonna take top place on the race it, as I'm only a second behind the leader. Seeing Wiggler take off in a wingsuit just made me pissed again. (Nothing against you Wiggler, I was still on edge since africa.)

So did you beat the Bulldog score? I might have to boot it up tonight then :D.

Yeah sometimes this game is great but when you are trying to hard sometimes I feel you make more mistakes and head into deathpits and land sideways with your board against a tree and the character won't put his or her board back before he or she hits the ground.

Hale-XF11

looooooool! They should have never have given us wingsuits. It's the only way to get the high score. EA, when you find yourself flying more than boarding while racing, there's something fundamentally wrong with your snowboarding game.

But yeah, I agree with the whole love/hate thing.

edit: I actually really enjoy the wingsuits, I just wish they weren't the most influential factor on most tracks for who wins and who doesn't.

So did you beat the Bulldog score? I might have to boot it up tonight then :D.

Yeah sometimes this game is great but when you are trying to hard sometimes I feel you make more mistakes and head into deathpits and land sideways with your board against a tree and the character won't put his or her board back before he or she hits the ground.
Hah I beat your Bulldog score like two months ago.

looooooool! They should have never have given us wingsuits. It's the only way to get the high score. EA, when you find yourself flying more than boarding while racing, there's something fundamentally wrong with your snowboarding game.

But yeah, I agree with the whole love/hate thing.

edit: I actually really enjoy the wingsuits, I just wish they weren't the most influential factor on most tracks for who wins and who doesn't.
I like using the wingsuit to, but they should really have leaderboards that display with/without wingsuit.

Yeah, I honestly haven't played in a while myself. I'm hoping the DLC is something that will be enough to drag me back. Mt. Eddie was fun, but some of the scores were ridiculously hard to beat and that turned me off from it. I'd like to definitely see Allegra come back and maybe another Mt. Eddie style track.

Top Bottom