• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

St. Vincent - St. Vincent |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
stvinc-stvinc_04udu5d.jpg

Official Site
Twitter
Facebook

St.Vincent "Official" Pre-order
iTunes Pre-order
Amazon Pre-order

***pre-order or annie dies***
tumblr_mh94x08hpU1rvn6njo1_500.gif

Tracklist
1. Rattlesnake
2. Birth in Reverse
3. Prince Johnny
4. Huey Newton
5. Digital Witness
6. I Prefer Your Love
7. Regret
8. Bring Me Your Loves
9. Psychopath
10. Every Tear Disappears
11. Severed Crossed Fingers
--------------------------------------------------
12. Del Rio (Japanese Bonus Track)

gif4ilkuo.gif

Tour
02-13 Berlin, Germany - Postbahnhof
02-15 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Paradiso
02-17 Brussels, Belgium - Ancienne Belgique
02-18 Paris, France - La Cigale
02-20 London, England - O2 Shepherds Bush Empire
02-21 Manchester, England - Manchester Cathedral
02-22 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia Theatre
02-26 New York, NY - Terminal 5
02-27 Boston, MA - House of Blues
02-28 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
03-01 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
03-04 Saxapahaw, NC - The Haw River Ballroom
03-05 Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
03-07 Nashville, TN - Marathon Music Works
03-08 Atlanta, GA - The Tabernacle
03-10 Houston, TX - House of Blues
03-14 Dallas, TX - House of Blues
03-18 Phoenix, AZ - Orpheum Theatre
03-19 San Diego, CA - House of Blues
03-21 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern
03-22 Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
03-24 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
03-25 Vancouver, British Columbia - The Commodore Ballroom
03-26 Seattle, WA - Moore Theatre
03-28 Salt Lake City, UT - The Depot
03-29 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
03-31 Lawrence, KS - Liberty Hall
04-01 Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium
04-03 Minneapolis, MN - State Theatre
04-04 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall
04-05 Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre
04-06 Detroit, MI - Majestic Theatre
04-08 Cincinnati, OH - Bogart's
04-09 Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
04-10 Cleveland, OH - House of Blues
04-11 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
04-12 Buffalo, NY - Ashbury Hall
06-20 Toronto, Ontario - NXNE

A word from Annie Clark

My bookcase is alphabetised with the spines backward because too many visible words in a space clutter my mind. I have no problem with chaotic visual art, and have filled my home with many glorious works, some made by paranoid schizophrenics. My favourite piece simply reads, "Get your $#*! together." Some people hang gentle affirmations, like the smiling cat on the ledge, or a Robert Frost poem printed atop autumn leaves, or a proverb cross-stitched by what I can only assume must be an elderly settler in a bonnet. But I like my art to yell at me like a high-school coach.

I joined Twitter in 2008. Around mid-2009, I started gaining new followers at a staggering rate, the combination of being featured on Twitter's homepage for a number of months, and attracting actual additional fans. My number now sits at around 423k followers. For the first years of my account, I rarely responded to tweets or retweeted. My feed was a one way stweet (sorry), devoid of messy @replies or abbreviations of "U" for "you". This was not out of caginess – quite the opposite, I was so excited to finally have real fans – but out of a desire to keep my feed tidy and streamlined. Plus, most interactions ranged from pleasant to effusive. Twitter tends to be a kinder medium, as it doesn't thrive on anonymity.

After finally extending my digital arms, I started having more fun. Trying on my Rodney Dangerfield routine (#ladybugs), eg: "Power out here in NYC! Hope everyone has candles and a fleshlight! #Sandy". I do, though, feel a certain responsibility to say something of at least minimal value when I tweet. There is a possibility that between 200k-423k human beings will read any particular musing. It's not as if people are standing by waiting for me to tweet the nuclear codes (are they actually under 140 characters?), but still: recommendable art? A man humping a tiny Xmas tree on my NYC block? And always, pure self-promotion is a smelly perfume.

We perform our identities in the analogue and digital realm. Every tweet or T-shirt is a signifier that consciously or subconsciously communicates something about us to others. I watch my performing identity and it reminds me of being six. We had a bathroom that was mirrored on three sides (was that weird? Is that like realising your parents had silk sheets or a Hitachi Magic Wand?). Anyway, I remember looking into one side of the mirror and seeing the reflection go on forever. I thought, if only I could tilt my head at just the perfect angle I'd actually be able to see "infinity". Hello self! Here are your many echoes! The further they get from the source, the smaller and less substantial they become. I finally turned my books around. They are messy, but at least I'm reading ●

Music Videos
Digital Witness
Marrow
Cruel
Cheerleader
Surgeon
Who (w/ David Byrne)
Laughing With A Mouthful of Blood

Past Works

Love This Giant - (Collaboration w/ David Byrne) iTunes / Amazon

Strange Mercy - iTunes / Amazon

Actor - iTunes / Amazon

Marry Me - iTunes / Amazon

i-love-you4ek44.gif

A SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM WENIS
Yes, this album has dripped all over the floor of the internet. That's swell and all, but if you start sharing the best way to contain the leak in this thread or anywhere else on this site for that matter you will be unceremoniously banned and most likely get my thread locked. DO NOT DO THIS. Only warning you'll get from here on out. Feel free to talk about the record, but no sharing or as clever as you think you are (you aren't, don't try) don't bother coyly hiding how to get a hold of this record in the vast wild of the internet. Annie may love you, but the banhammer feels no love.

wenis

After listening to this about ten times now I can confidently say this is my favorite release of hers thus far. It's complex, but simple. Overpowering, but subtle. Beautiful, loud, small, and grandiose.

It's obvious the influence David Byrne has had on her. She plays around with so many textures and tastes on this record. It reminded me instantly of Fear of Music / Remain in Light in how there is and isn't a thematic arc to the record. You can go ahead and cherry pick singles and present them in a vacuum, alone from the rest of the liter and it will perform wonderfully because each track has the attention and care given to it that you could only expect from a performer like Annie. When you play it as a record tho, there is a bigger purpose to each track and it culminates into a wonderful soundscape that easily, EASILY, makes this album stand out not only for this month, but most likely for the rest of the year.

This is easily my favorite release so far of the year and will no doubt end up in my top three at the end. I'll love other records just fine, but this one I'm madly in love with.

Everyone should just do themselves a favor and buy a ticket to her show right now, even if it means you have to roadtrip to the closest city. Saw her live in 2012 and it was easily in the top 5 concerts ive ever experienced.

Mesousa

Banned
Didnt the Tabernacle in Atlanta have issues like a few days ago.

If that show is still on I'll definitely be there.

Cheddahz

Banned
Finally, a OT for this album! I've only listened to the album once (which was yesterday), but I really liked it. I'm going to give it another listen and see if that still is true

Owwww I like her. I'm gonna spend some coins on her album possibly. Let me give it the run through if it's on Spotify.

What's even more plus is she's outta NYC. NY has been killing lately with the talent.

Edit: OP she's not from NYC however so far so good.

number11

The album is definitely growing on me. It's gonna take several months before I can rank it compared with her previous albums.

Love her songs, so I guess I should start checking out her albums more. Thanks, wenis.

She seems like a funny lady going by that word about online interaction. But she hasn't been hit by a controversy or death threats so she seems pretty naive about its destructive impact.

kulapik

Digital Witness has been stuck on my head for weeks since I stumbled upon her thanks to the Primavera Sound lineup. Too bad it's so expensive :(

Cheddahz

Banned
I think my favorite song on the album either has to be Digital Witness or Regret, but the album is quite fun to listen to and I'm sure I'm going to end up getting the vinyl of it

thefro

Forgot this was coming out at the end of the month. Really excited from what I've heard thus far.

So this needs to happen...

FPHi8h9.png

wenis

ANNIEXJANELLE w/ BYRNE production. dance album only using the glockenspiel and a mouth harp.

overcast

Huey Newton is probably my favorite track. I also love Bring Me Your Loves, although I wasn't initially into it.

St. Vincent grows on me all the time.

This album was pretty good on my first listen. Its already one of her better albums. Can't wait to hear more

Huey Newton and Rattlesnake are my early favorites.

ANNIEXJANELLE w/ BYRNE production. dance album only using the glockenspiel and a mouth harp.

lol would buy and remix

Got the album preordered but I went ahead and previewed it. Really liking it so far. I'd say its some of her best work yet.

She's never going to release the rock-out album I've been pining for though, is she?

Seein her @ 930 club in less than two weeks. Saw her a few years ago and she's the best live act I've seen. I'll see if things have changed...

andymcc

Banned
She's never going to release the rock-out album I've been pining for though, is she?

you mean one that sounds like Big Black's Songs About Fucking ala "Krokodil"?

probably not. but this crunchy, demented, abrasive funk stuff is very close to scratching that itch for me.

Seein her @ 930 club in less than two weeks. Saw her a few years ago and she's the best live act I've seen. I'll see if things have changed...

I'll be at the Saturday show at 9:30. I've seen her at 9:30 twice now, and also at Coachella 2012. Her live show is as awesome as ever and I don't expect that to change.

I'll be at the Saturday show at 9:30. I've seen her at 9:30 twice now, and also at Coachella 2012. Her live show is as awesome as ever and I don't expect that to change.

I'll be at the same one, very cool man. She rules

also wouldn't mind if she made a brooding album similar to the b-side on krokodil "grout"

But the new album rules too

overcast

Worried I'm going to overplay this, but I've been listening to it a lot since it leaked.

Favorite track of the day is constantly changing too. I really can't wait to see her next month.

ampere

Never heard of her, but I just listened to the "Cruel" music video and it was pretty cool.

I think I'll check out one of her albums.

overcast

Album pacing is so great! Flies by every time.

Severed Crossed Fingers might be her best finale. Chorus is almost Beatles like.

After repeated listens, I have to agree with everyone else in this thread. This is an amazing album. It might be her most cohesive work yet. 'Huey Newton' and 'Regret' are some of her best songs ever, but I really don't think there is one bad or super skippable track. The only one that might come close to me is 'Psycopath' but I even find myself going back to that song a lot. Can't wait to see her live!

Daria

Her voice is so beautiful on this album (in general, too). I think every piece of this tape fits together so well.

Persona7

Banned
I like a few earlier songs but the last few albums were dreadful. If this is streaming for free somewhere I might listen to it but even then I don't know.

overcast

I like a few earlier songs but the last few albums were dreadful. If this is streaming for free somewhere I might listen to it but even then I don't know.
You didn't like Actor or Strange Mercy? I suggest you avoid this one. Especially if you didn't like SM, this is like a more realized version almost. Though that's simplifying it probably.

I've only listened to her singles but they all seem to be going somewhere interesting and then... don't. I dunno, I'll probably listen to a few of her earlier albums before listening to this one but yeah. Anyone else feel like this? (I know the OT for her album probably isn't the best place to ask...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom