• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia Connect 6.6.2019 - Pricing, Game Reveals, Launch Info & More

somerset

Trying to watch the footie on a Youtube live stream gave yet a millionth reason to *hate* Google- this arm of the NSA (yes- Google is the NSA division responsible for system hardware and software design used for data storage, data mining, data retrieval etc) is so effing hopeless at everything they do outside of a tiny number of core projects.

So even live streaming of a sports event is utterly beyond them. Yet gaming?!.....

Why Stadia? Cos mining and controlling gaming/gamers is the final frontier- the last untapped expansion of the NSA/GCHQ total surveillance/tota; control society.

Mouth breathing dribblers (some in this thread) haven't even heard of 5-eyes, or read any of Snowden's confirmation of GCHQ state-of-the-art total surveillance a decade back. They are like the scum who lived in East German and constantly boasted how stasi surveillance wasn't a thing, but if it was it couldn't possibly impact the lives of ordinary people anyway.

Games are a massive source of intelligence. What you play, how you play, when you play, who you play with, what you say when you play.

Take how you play. A psychological profile could determine your general wellness and mindset from your responses. A week later you are going to get *very* specific targeted ads following you online, in the post, and via cold callers. And google's gonna have a few more dollars in the bank. But that's just a tiny part of the project (yet one that will impact all stadia gamers in a negative way).

But Google has another, specific, orwellian objective. Total game censorship server side.

Client side gaming is something the government *hates*. Once a thing is in your hands, it stays there. But server side and a game can be in a constant state of flux. *Wrongthink* can be fixed on the fly. *No*, you are *wrong*- Laura Croft always wore a Burkha. It's just your sexist lying male brain that tells you otherwise.

I wrote a non-controversial post to some movie site yesterday. Their Akismet filter killed it on upload not cos of content, but because in form it pattern matched some ancient no longer used spam pattern. But Google is rolling out these automated *upload* filters more and more. And Stadia will make massive use of them.

Filthy morons will continue to dribble "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear", and be proud of how they stand behind the thugs and bullies - even Hitler in Mein Kampf stated how useful these useful idiots were to his early days, until the night of the long knives.

And notice how persistant these types are in defending Google and suggesting *innocent* intent. Sadly not all these idiots are paid shills. The majority are the mouthy morons always looking for some despot or despotic cause to cleave to, the same crowd who always want to be on the side of the biggest bully at school for the same reason.

Google shed *all* pretence of being a honest player some years back now. It coincided with Google purchasing all the major military robotics firms as it progresses its killer tank drone program for the DoD.

Google = NSA = GCHQ. But today Facebook, Apple, MS etc all compete to do better work for the NSA, and Google feels under pressure to clearly outdo them. An arms race where the enemy is the ordinary user of computers and the internet.

So Stadia is defined by just how many ways it can *hurt* the ordinary gamer. Luckily it is poised to be yet another Google flop.

RedVIper

Banned
Google found a way to give me millions of hours of video for FREE. Don't have to pay a dime, and they even get people to produce free content for Google, and then found a business model to make those people ton of money.

If the rumor is true I can see this being basically like YouTube. Google will find a way to monetize it, or sell the data back to game companies for big profits. Usually hardware producers lose money or barely make any money on hardware anyways (unless you are Nintendo). They mainly operate on the razor blade model, of making the money off of you from games and subscriptions.

When it was first mentioned I thought it would be free. Maybe they lock 4k or ad free behind a pay wall. I just can't see Google managing to get all these 3rd parties on board to offer a gamepass service, and they don't have any 1st party titles like MS does to at least entice some people. So I don't really see a Netflix style.

I'm pretty sure youtube isn't profitable. And most content creators there have been moving to patreon because they make no money on youtube (Unless you have sponsors).

Running games will also be much more expensive than sending you a video.

I just can't see this being free and staying profitable.

RedVIper

Banned
Google has a monopoly because it’s products are that good. You could start a search engine for virtually nothing, or you could switch to Bing or DuckDuckGo or whatever at a cost of exactly £0. The internet is as close as possible to a perfectly free market, no need for monopoly legislation there.

This isn’t like ISPs with a high cost of entry and limited switching options.

Lol yeah, it's not like google would ever try do bring down their competitors.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I can't answer for the poster you quoted, but I can honestly say if the US Military or CIA chooses to spy on me, they will be tremendously bored. If Google can actually give me cutting edge games without input lag, at whatever max resolution my tv can do, and without charging more than the cost of the games, then by all means tell the feds about how often I farted loud enough for my headset to register.

Lol yes Big Brother can rear end me so long as he uses the premium crisco

Do u even comprehend how massive a corporate tool you are?

Last edited:

NickFire

Lol yes Big Brother can rear end me so long as he uses the premium crisco

Do u even comprehend how massive a corporate tool you are?
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sure Jan. I'm a corporate tool because even though I doubt the capabilities and doubt the likelihood of no charges for the service long term, I wouldn't give two shits about who they share my data with (most of which is already shared) if they could actually pull off what I would want at no cost to me beyond the price of games. That most certainly makes me a corporate tool, and not just some guy who the CIA wouldn't give the time of day because of how boring I am.

cryptoadam

Banned
I'm pretty sure youtube isn't profitable. And most content creators there have been moving to patreon because they make no money on youtube (Unless you have sponsors).

Could be YT isn't profitable, but year after year its still around and keeps getting better. I remember when 480P vids and 10 minute time limits was a thing.

Creators are getting shafted now, but a few years ago they weren't. It was the wild wild west but a guy like Nostalgia critic made a lot of money from having a camera and white wall behind him. Times have changed and YT has become more corporate, but there is still plenty of money on YT, its just not so much for those NC guys anymore, you gotta be big time.

I don't know what the profit margin would be, but I don't really think Google is thinking about becoming rich off of a 10$ a month subscription. They have a bigger game here.

I won't say 100% they won't charge, and I can see them tiering the product and offering ad version, and then a free version, or putting 4K behind a pay wall etc...

But if they want to make a splash and put Sony/MS on their heels, offering it for free would be huge. And lets keep in mind that Sony/MS usually lose money on their hardware. So how can MS/Sony lose money selling 400-500$ boxes and still be profitable, but Google must charge 10-15$ a month? Google can take the lose on the initial "streaming" just like MS/Sony take a lose on the hardware and make it up with licensing and PS+/Live etc...

joe_zazen

I can't answer for the poster you quoted, but I can honestly say if the US Military or CIA chooses to spy on me, they will be tremendously bored. If Google can actually give me cutting edge games without input lag, at whatever max resolution my tv can do, and without charging more than the cost of the games, then by all means tell the feds about how often I farted loud enough for my headset to register.

That cool, we all have a price at which we will cooperate with evil. Yours seems kinda low tho.

joe_zazen

The CIA already has your data. You'd have to be off the grid completely if you want your electronic fingerprint to unseen or to disappear.

Oh i know. And if i was ever an actual threat, they’d julian aassange my ass with trumpd up rape charges and solitary confinement torture. That doesn't mean i don't care and that i support US military industrial evil.

Last edited:

NickFire

That cool, we all have a price at which we will cooperate with evil. Yours seems kinda low tho.
That's not even close to the bottom. Taco Bell can share my data with the CIA too for free tacos. Although that's certainly in my self interest if I'm being honest. Want them to get my order right once they throw my in Guantanamo for preferring to play as a sith instead of a jedi.

RedVIper

Banned
Could be YT isn't profitable, but year after year its still around and keeps getting better. I remember when 480P vids and 10 minute time limits was a thing.

Creators are getting shafted now, but a few years ago they weren't. It was the wild wild west but a guy like Nostalgia critic made a lot of money from having a camera and white wall behind him. Times have changed and YT has become more corporate, but there is still plenty of money on YT, its just not so much for those NC guys anymore, you gotta be big time.

I don't know what the profit margin would be, but I don't really think Google is thinking about becoming rich off of a 10$ a month subscription. They have a bigger game here.

I won't say 100% they won't charge, and I can see them tiering the product and offering ad version, and then a free version, or putting 4K behind a pay wall etc...

But if they want to make a splash and put Sony/MS on their heels, offering it for free would be huge. And lets keep in mind that Sony/MS usually lose money on their hardware. So how can MS/Sony lose money selling 400-500$ boxes and still be profitable, but Google must charge 10-15$ a month? Google can take the lose on the initial "streaming" just like MS/Sony take a lose on the hardware and make it up with licensing and PS+/Live etc...

Because sony and microsoft make a shiton of money on games.

So I'm not sure how google offering games for free is comparable.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Because sony and microsoft make a shiton of money on games.

So I'm not sure how google offering games for free is comparable.

They won't offer the games for free, they would sell them on a store front and take a cut just like on the google play store.

You want to play Doom, go to their YouTube page, watch the Doom Trailer, click on play now, enter in your CC info to "purchase" the game for 59.99$ and you are playing, meanwhile Google takes their 10/20/30% whatever it is cut.

Exactly how Sony/MS are doing it now. Only difference is I don't have to pay 500$ upfront cost to buy hardware that will be replaced by a PRO version in 2 years.

Ownage

Very interesting. You haven't convinced me that this data would retain significant value for the life of a console generation (because the limited behavior pattern data from gaming would seem like something they could capture a sufficient sample size from pretty quickly), but you have reinforced the possibility I see for a free trial period / global no paid subscription required period. They could chalk that up to marketing, and also make money on the data to offset the marketing costs.

Wait, on second thought maybe they could monetize this data long term by requiring a google account, which gathers data from other sources of inputs too (gmail, youtube, searches, etc.). Coupled with a slice of sales revenue, who knows if their profit margin would be satisfactory to them.

But cutting against the second thought, is my inability to believe they would leave so much money on the table. And both half cheeky and half serious, could Google's employees actually handle knowing too much about gaming behavior if they had to digest that constantly? https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/technology/leaked-google-video-trump.html. Those TGIF meetings would probably be replete with hysterics if their people had too much data from gamers.
I think Stadia and other Google platforms go well beyond gaming. Stadia data, like the data from a Chrome or Android user, will affect the maturation of complex algorithms predicting global behavior and reaction models.

Last edited:

Korso

Google makes money from advertising. Content creators dont make much from it. Most of there money comes from sponsors or patreon.

joe_zazen

I think Stadia and other Google platforms go well beyond gaming. Stadia data, like the data from a Chrome or Android user, will affect the maturation of complex algorithms predicting global behavior and reaction models.

For the benefit of the global elite.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I don't really care that much about that stuff. I've made terms with that years ago. That information is also being collected by 25 other companies that you buy from too. It's the 21st Century.

Personally no, 25 other companies don't collect information on me since I don't buy anything online :messenger_grinning_sweat: , I have rants about digital games enough on here. But if you're fine with all your information being collected that's cool.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

Nice post. 100% agree, although I won't be surprise if they do launch it as free to suck the suckers in.

Phil Harrison will be onto another job by the time this one collapses, I give him 18-30 months and he's gone.

Phil-Harrison-Double-Agent.png

Last edited:

juliotendo

Stadia is overhyped.

Without original content it’s just another game streaming service that only a handful of people will actually use or care about.

XBOX, PlayStation, and Nintendo have decades of original content and IP already cemented in the market. These are the only companies that can actually make a dent in any streaming platform. Even PS Now as obscure as it is actually has 500,000 users.

What does Google have? Nothing. Just third party games available everywhere else.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Stadia is overhyped.

Without original content it’s just another game streaming service that only a handful of people will actually use or care about.

XBOX, PlayStation, and Nintendo have decades of original content and IP already cemented in the market. These are the only companies that can actually make a dent in any streaming platform. Even PS Now as obscure as it is actually has 500,000 users.

What does Google have? Nothing. Just third party games available everywhere else.

700,000 users, but who's counting. :p

Quezacolt

I hope it fails, i really do, and that it shows to others that no one wants to pay for something that they dont own, that they can't play at all without internet connection, that could be taken away from us at any moment and there's nothing we could do. I'd rather pay 400 or 500 dollars every 7 years or so for an hardware and be able to actually own what i pay for, than to pay for this crap.

Top Bottom