• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia is coming to Mexico

Wooxsvan

Awkward Cricket GIF

haha. i actually still use to login to Destiny on my phone to manage some stuff.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I really dont know what is googles play with stadia.

I mean there tech is good, but I see no reason to choose it over other better platforms.

I thought google were about that 4d chess, but with stadia they aren't even playing checkers.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
With the speed that exists here in Mexico, it will be a resounding failure.

No one or very few people will be willing to pay full game + Internet + Google Stadia price.

Lone Wolf

I mean there tech is good, but I see no reason to choose it over other better platforms.

I thought google were about that 4d chess, but with stadia they aren't even playing checkers.
They have a very small collection of games, and what they do have, you can get on any other platform. Every other platform also has thousands of games that are not on Stadia and never will be.

Last edited:
If they want to gain market quickly in Mexico....they have to make deals with ISP and provide the service with the internet bill.
That would be the smartest move I guess.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

Google will mainly bet on their white label called immersive stream. The Stadia store will be for them an extra buck.

Some publishers will never release games for Stadia (Batman was only on Immersive Stream) but some other publishers will like Capcom will pay for Immersive Stream (RE8 click to play demo on their website) and probably release their ports on Stadia as well.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Median income/year = 5000 USD
Price of the PS5 = 650USD

I guess some folks now understand the value of cloud gaming in Mexico...

Sosokrates

Google will mainly bet on their white label called immersive stream. The Stadia store will be for them an extra buck.

Some publishers will never release games for Stadia (Batman was only on Immersive Stream) but some other publishers will like Capcom will pay for Immersive Stream (RE8 click to play demo on their website) and probably release their ports on Stadia as well.

Yes, I could see them becoming more of a cloud gaming service for other companies and cloud gaming advertising company. Like the RE8 stuff you mentioned.
Hasn't it been said before tat one day youtube ads for games will be playable via stadoa tech?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hasn't it been said before tat one day youtube ads for games will be playable via stadoa tech?
They mentioned that when Stadia was announced. Click an ad on Youtube, start playing video game.

Fat Frog

The industry has shown it takes more then just money.

Stadia needs to meet or beat the competition in most areas and offer exclusive content or features to entice players.

They don't need to beat the competition.
Starting today:
If a samsung user types "RDR2" on the gaminhg hub, the only version available will be on Stadia...(not available currently on Xcloud, not on GFN, not on Luna)

They just need to have the games people want to play.(they need more games though,)

Fbh

Same.
Even assuming Streaming continues growing and becomes really popular over the next 10 years. I see no reason so far why anyone would choose Stadia over Xcloud or Geforce Now.
Unless they start to heavily invest in games and studios they'll never have the sort of library to be competitive

Sosokrates

They don't need to beat the competition.
Starting today:
If a samsung user types "RDR2" on the gaminhg hub, the only version available will be on Stadia...(not available currently on Xcloud, not on GFN, not on Luna)

They just need to have the games people want to play.(they need more games though,)

And pay a high price for a game in an unproven and sparsly populated game store. Thats a tough sell.

Fat Frog

And pay a high price for a game in an unproven and sparsly populated game store. Thats a tough sell.
You don't think in 3D 😎

Papa just bought a new Samsung for the family, only has a PS3 and his fucking kid ask him to buy RDR2:
PS4 + RDR2 = 250 bucks (30FPS)
RDR2 on Stadia = 60 bucks (60FPS)

If it works on Stadia (there are F2P to test our connection), do you think all the parents will buy PS4 or PS5 + RDR2 ?
Well marketed, it's an easy sell. (Well marketed 😅, and the US have fucking data cap...mexico is different)

DaGwaphics

Papa just bought a new Samsung for the family, only has a PS3 and his fucking kid ask him to buy RDR2:
PS4 + RDR2 = 250 bucks (30FPS)
RDR2 on Stadia = 60 bucks (60FPS)

Seems like this question is asked and answered. PS4 + RDR2 all day long it seems. Consoles selling better than ever, while Stadia's player counts on the other hand...

Frustrated World Cup GIF

They have to get the prices normalized on that store, old games at full price are always going to be a hard sell. Regardless of how good the tech is.

Fat Frog

Seems like this question is asked and answered. PS4 + RDR2 all day long it seems. Consoles selling better than ever, while Stadia's player counts on the other hand...

Frustrated World Cup GIF

They have to get the prices normalized on that store, old games at full price are always going to be a hard sell. Regardless of how good the tech is.
Present days:
Yeah, you're right, 5 persons know cloud gaming, 2 know Stadia...

Future:
Inflation, crysis... More people aware of cloud gaming, cheap entry fees...
Do you think the proportion will remain the same ? Low prices are important.

As for Stadia store, yeah, some publishers did shit but it almost over (i mean most prices are ok now and there many sales...)

Fat Frog

I see no reason so far why anyone would choose Stadia over Xcloud or Geforce Now.
Ok, i'll explain why i chose Stadia very often:

Xcloud: I don't like sub very much. (And for now it has worse and latency than stadia)

GFN: I'm not interested in their sub either BUT it's true that i sometimes prefere it to Stadia if the steam version is clearly superior. If the difference is not that impressive, then i choose the Stadia version, more convenient and can send it as a gift to 5 people.

Future:
Inflation, crysis... More people aware of cloud gaming, cheap entry fees...

You realize fast internet (Fiber-optic as minimum, which I pay ~$100/mn. in my residence) is an entry fee in and of itself for cloud gaming, right? If you really believe the economic crisis is going to suddenly raise demand for cloud gaming in a time when people would be cutting out as many recurring fees as they can, I got a bridge to sell you.

(And that's before taking into consideration that Google never solved the "But I don't have high-speed internet here" problem many places in America still struggle with to this date. You know, the one that gave Xbox One bad press when they originally planned for being online-only. Nearly a decade ago.)

Fat Frog

You realize fast internet (Fiber-optic as minimum, which I pay ~$100/mn. in my residence) is an entry fee in and of itself for cloud gaming, right? If you really believe the economic crisis is going to suddenly raise demand for cloud gaming in a time when people would be cutting out as many recurring fees as they can, I got a bridge to sell you.

(And that's before taking into consideration that Google never solved the "But I don't have high-speed internet here" problem many places in America still struggle with to this date. You know, the one that gave Xbox One bad press when they originally planned for being online-only. Nearly a decade ago.)
The base of your message is wrong cliche.
You don't need fiber to play Stadia a stable 20 mbps is enough if you're single...

As for the US, that's another topic.
Stadia failed for more reasons that internet speed:
- Bad communication
- Data caps
- Pathetic launch
- Distance from data centers
- Insane business model at launch (dub+ buying games)
And many more.

Stable internet > fast internet (for cloud gaming).

LATAM is different from the US.
The US has no real need for cloud (console are not that expensive), for LATAM cloud has value.

Fat Frog

@moderators
You forgot a few words under my avatar.
"I advertise for Google Stadia"... "and sucks big cocks."
Don't worry, it doesn't concern you then... 😜

You don't need fiber to play Stadia a stable 20 mbps is enough if you're single...

In my search for information about the average internet speed in Mexico, I'm getting 6-8 mbps ballparks. I'll admit these are pre-covid rates, but since that's all I can find I'd have to guess it hasn't dramatically improved yet. Can Stadia really work with 6 mbps?

I'd be legitimately shocked if Google can get something to sell in Mexico that they have given up on selling in California.

Boss Mog

Mexicans are going to be extremely excited later this year when their team competes in the World Cup in Qatar.

In my search for information about the average internet speed in Mexico, I'm getting 6-8 mbps ballparks. I'll admit these are pre-covid rates, but since that's all I can find I'd have to guess it hasn't dramatically improved yet. Can Stadia really work with 6 mbps?

I'd be legitimately shocked if Google can get something to sell in Mexico that they have given up on selling in California.
That data is bullshit, the average Internet package in México is 50 MB download and its like 20 dollars a month for years, i pay 50 dollars and have 1 GB, and we dont know what a data cap is, because oír gotta love how america make stupid stats about the World and believe Latin América is a shithole,

As for the US, that's another topic.
Stadia failed for more reasons that internet speed:
- Bad communication
- Data caps
- Pathetic launch
- Distance from data centers
- Insane business model at launch (dub+ buying games)
And many more.

Stable internet > fast internet (for cloud gaming).

LATAM is different from the US.
The US has no real need for cloud (console are not that expensive), for LATAM cloud has value.
For México cloud have less value, People Who play videogames are not That poor, in fact the majority are middle clases, and poor People buy their stuff using Credit card monthy pay, the only way stadia can survive here is if they have a service like gamepass

Fat Frog

Not enough games and the prices a fucked. Too bad. It could be good. The performance is great.
The prices depends of publishers and are now mostly like the other stores.

RDR2 (i like that example for obvious reasons 😈)

https://www.playstation.com/fr-fr/g...-LWng1e4sDA-gsOoqpGPMLApwpvUMHS8aAo1kEALw_wcB

https://stadia.google.com/game/rdr2

PS4 = 30FPS/60 bucks 🥀

😍Stadia😍 = 60FPS/30 bucks ATM 💋

As for lack of games, it's true but it will launch in Mexico with 300 games, probably 200 demos and F2P (Stadia released 75 demos in a single month).
Poor kids in the 90's had a playstation with only 2 games and a load CD demos... I guess, they'll spend hours on free Destiny, Hitman,PUBG and more than 100 demos...
And i guess some families will cut the prices of the games by using Family Share.
(1 game paid, 6 families can play that game 👪✨👨‍👩‍👦💫👨‍👩‍👧👨‍👩‍👧‍👦🥳👨‍👩‍👦‍👦🎉👨‍👩‍👧‍👧)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

IT'S AAAAA ME, MARIO !

HUHUHU 😁

Thank you to demonstrate to Stadia skeptics that internet speed is improving ULTRA FAST.

Mexico: internet download speed 2016-2019 - Statista
From May 2018 to May 2019, broadband internet in Mexico averaged a download speed of 6.02 Megabits per second (Mbps), up from 5.69 Mbps

Mexico: mobile & fixed broadband internet download & upload speed 2021​

Published by
Justina Alexandra Sava
Justina Alexandra Sava

Nov 24, 2021
In October 2021, the median mobile internet download speed in Mexico was 22.87 Mbps, while the median fixed broadband download speed was 35.91 Mbps. Moreover, nearly 85 million Mexicans were forecast to be internet users by the end of the year.

Internet speed > X5 in 2 years
🏋️🏋️🏋️🏋️🏋️

And it's not even 2022 💋

Alucardx23

"In October 2021, the median mobile internet download speed in Mexico was 22.87 Mbps, while the median fixed broadband download speed was 35.91 Mbps. Moreover, nearly 85 million Mexicans were forecast to be internet users by the end of the year."

https://www.statista.com/statistics... October 2021, the median,the end of the year.

"There were 92.01 million internet users in Mexico in January 2021. The number of internet users in Mexico increased by 3.5 million (+4.0%) between 2020 and 2021. Internet penetration in Mexico stood at 71.0% in January 2021."

https://datareportal.com/reports/di....01 million internet,at 71.0% in January 2021.

CeeJay

They were playing tic tac toe and made a shitty first move.

Alebrije

That data is bullshit, the average Internet package in México is 50 MB download and its like 20 dollars a month for years, i pay 50 dollars and have 1 GB, and we dont know what a data cap is, because oír gotta love how america make stupid stats about the World and believe Latin América is a shithole,

For México cloud have less value, People Who play videogames are not That poor, in fact the majority are middle clases, and poor People buy their stuff using Credit card monthy pay, the only way stadia can survive here is if they have a service like gamepass
Also You forgott the grey market ,on most Big cities for 200 US You can get a PS4 preloaded with tons of games and also You can download more, the only downside is that You can not play online or conmect to PS network in some cases.

So the only way I see Stadia moving units is if they join Telmex and Telcel to promote a 1 year internet service plan that includes the control and free accsess for 1-2 months and 10 months of paid service

Top Bottom