• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen transitions to Amazon Lumberyard, Releases Alpha 2.6

atpbx

This is fucking nuts.

People are really optimistic, in thinking that a missile someone paid $70 dollars to equip, will be easily obtained by the regular player, when the game goes live.

They won't be.

Those are capital ship torpedos/ corvette size torpedos, the equivalent weapons system that you would have on an Anaconda in ED:D, taking the same amount of time to earn in game as that would.

It's something I don't understand why they have on the store, as currently on the Retaliator can equip them, and it already had torpedos when it spawns.

Shy

Finally got my HOTAS set up properly. About 100 keys all customized.

Flight model feels really bad in this game for some reason with the HOTAS. Like leaps and bounds behind Elite Dangerous. I need to try it with a controller to see if that feels better.
The game feel horrible with a controller.

Which is depressing as it's the only thing i've ever used. 😞

CSJ

Yeah this his repeatedly been an issue for me. The HOTAS just doesn't work on a game where you can turn this fast.

I feel the same, although it's been a while since I've last played ( few months ) it still felt like you're flying around a spectator camera for some ships. Like there's no weight to your ship.

Also years ago there was an argument that E:D had more development time to get the core mechanics set, not any more. Don't see people using that excuse. Have they finally added a human workable keybind menu in this 2.6 ui update yet?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Other than the integration to AWS, are there any other features Lumberyard added after they branched that could be useful for star Citizen?

KKRT00

This is fucking nuts.

People are really optimistic, in thinking that a missile someone paid $70 dollars to equip, will be easily obtained by the regular player, when the game goes live.

I could manufacture it or i could steal it. This price is meaningless even if it would be final.
People really need to stop think about this game as theme park MMO games, where MMO is just a name.
This is a multiplayer game, with multiplayer design and its a sandbox. This changes everything in regards to economy.

Effect

Isn't performance still horrible even on the best systems? What I've seen from streams, videos, and post in regard to 2.6 it looks great but still runs horrible and is bug ridden. Calling it a trainwreak doesn't seem out of place. Now one can have fun with it but performance isn't a matter of opinion but is pretty objective.

I could manufacture it or i could steal it. This price is meaningless even if it would be final.
People really need to stop think about this game as theme park MMO games, where MMO is just a name.
This is a multiplayer game, with multiplayer design and its a sandbox. This changes everything in regards to economy.

You are downplaying it as something trivial. To me, it looks like even a bigger issue when it is a multiplayer pvp-enabled game where multiple players might attempt to secure same resources or do a rescue quest.

In your theme park MMOs, stats matter much less because Pvp content is not enabled in the world (or at least most MMOs work this way). You aren't going to run into players with high-grade equipment exploring, doing quests and killing bosses. In Star Citizen, it looks more of the Rust/Dayz type sandbox where the player-interaction can be anything from co-op to sabotage.

When your argument for paid items starts: "...but you can grind and build it yourself", then no reasonable gamer would look at your game thinking that it is a fair game. It is ok if you are like 12 with no real life obligations, but most players don't want to grind for resources to be on the even grounds with those who buy their way into superiority.

KKRT00

You are downplaying it as something trivial. To me, it looks like even a bigger issue when it is a multiplayer pvp-enabled game where multiple players might attempt to secure same resources or do a rescue quest.

In your theme park MMOs, stats matter much less because Pvp content is not enabled in the world (or at least most MMOs work this way). You aren't going to run into players with high-grade equipment exploring, doing quests and killing bosses. In Star Citizen, it looks more of the Rust/Dayz type sandbox where the player-interaction can be anything from co-op to sabotage.

When your argument for paid items starts: "...but you can grind and build it yourself", then no reasonable gamer would look at your game thinking that it is a fair game. It is ok if you are like 12 with no real life obligations, but most players don't want to grind for resources to be on the even grounds with those who buy their way into superiority.
So what about those who play more? What about those play smarter? What about those who cooperate more in corporations are wealthier? What about those who starts few months after Star Citizen launch?
All those people have different kind of wealth to other people.

You can have Retalliator or even Idris and pay hundreds of dollars for it, but an organized group on Auroras will always fuck you up in such games. They are not singleplayer games and cant be judged like that. There is always a bigger fish, or fish or smarter fish, you cant p2w that.

Ps. EVE Online exists. You can buy ISK by selling PLEX legally and P2W was never an issue, of course there was quite illegal ISK market too.

----
Isn't performance still horrible even on the best systems? What I've seen from streams, videos, and post in regard to 2.6 it looks great but still runs horrible and is bug ridden. Calling it a trainwreak doesn't seem out of place. Now one can have fun with it but performance isn't a matter of opinion but is pretty objective.

Performance in PU is currently driven by servers, like in Arma. They are reworking networking, but it wont be live till 3.0.

So what about those who play more? What about those play smarter? What about those who cooperate more in corporations are wealthier? What about those who starts few months after Star Citizen launch?
All those people have different kind of wealth to other people.

Ps. EVE Online exists. You can buy ISK by selling PLEX legally and P2W was never an issue, of course there was quite illegal ISK market too.

Because the entire appeal of gaming is that you make choices and master the game. It is fair that a person spending 20 hours earns more credits than a person playing for 2 hours, gamers accept that. It is because the advantage was earned in a fair in-game and everyone had an equal opportunity to get it.

You don't go and tell players from our Eastern Europe that it sucks to be you because you aren't making as much income as someone with a 6 figure job. If you treat non-paying users as second-class players and make their game harder because someone with a fat wallet can use a better ship/weapons, then it is a shit game like those Chinese MMOs which we all laugh at.

F2P games might get away with light paid advantages because most people are smart enough to realize that if they don't pay for the game, then someone else has to pay for it. SC isn't a free game so don't expect gamers to go light on its paid advantages.

And if the game sells in-game advantage, then you open a pandora's box of whether the game deliberately pushes players towards buying their way into ships/weapons as opposed to grinding for them in-game.

And how is EVE Online doing? Is it a growing game, or is it a rotting MMO with a dwindling population because nobody wants to start a game where they are going to be literal peasants with no prospects of ever matching veteran players?

KKRT00

Because the entire appeal of gaming is that you make choices and master the game. It is fair that a person spending 20 hours earns more credits than a person playing for 2 hours, gamers accept that. It is because the advantage was earned in a fair in-game and everyone had an equal opportunity to get it.

You don't go and tell players from our Eastern Europe that it sucks to be you because you aren't making as much income as someone with a 6 figure job. If you treat non-paying users as second-class players and make their game harder because someone with a fat wallet can use a better ship/weapons, then it is a shit game like those Chinese MMOs which we all laugh at.

F2P games might get away with light paid advantages because most people are smart enough to realize that if they don't pay for the game, then someone else has to pay for it. SC isn't a free game so don't expect gamers to go light on its paid advantages.

And if the game sells in-game advantage, then you open a pandora's box of whether the game deliberately pushes players towards buying their way into ships/weapons as opposed to grinding for them in-game.

And how is EVE Online doing? Is it a growing game, or is it a rotting MMO with a dwindling population because nobody wants to start a game where they are going to be literal peasants with no prospects of ever matching veteran players?
You still do not understand that this is sandbox, not theme park game and its not singleplayer game.
There are so many variables and so many different opportunities to get wealth/fight instead of one player farming for 30 hours and then he/she meets other player that farmed for 5 hours and then they PVP. This not a world of games like Star Citizen or EVE.

And EVE was growing every year for 11 years. I dont know how were their last two years though.

-----
To describe it more in-depth
In EVE i was able to farm like 5$ worth of currency per hour, i lost ships worth 60-100$, i killed ships worth 300-500$, i even killed one worth 500$ and looted it in high security system, in other months, I earned money speculating some specific market by buying every item from this type and selling it with 30-40% higher price, which took me like one hour a week and earn me quite good money, but it was long time investments, etc.

You can play game where you turn off PVP flag and stay in high security systems and just doing missions or play cooperatively, and gaining wealth.
Or You can play like me, exploring uncharted territories or fighting for power in low or no security zones with other corporations, you can pirate or be high risk trader.
Those are all valid ways to play and all are valid ways to get wealth, some faster, but come with risk, other are safer, but slower and more boring.
Thats a way it looks and plays in such games.

Vandaal Swarm felt really bad when ships got close to me on my 1080 and 6700k, so I'd say yea. Not the best performance. Then again, I doubt they're optimizing for performance at this point so it's w/e.

Rudelord

I'm not really digging this new flight model.

It bounces between feeling too sluggish and too fast with little inbetween.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm not really digging this new flight model.

It bounces between feeling too sluggish and too fast with little inbetween.

Trying to use the afterburner to engage and decelerate at the right time to be at weapons range reminds me of overshooting with frame shift drive in Elite.

Eolz

For those that missed it, Chris Roberts just gave an update/some details about the whole situation:
C0iiXRnWIAQUKef.jpg:large

Might be good to put in the OP as well I guess...

Lutherian

Still no inventory screen, shitty ingame UI, still not allows easy graphics customisation (you have to manually edit a file). How hard is it for Robert to make a list with "Use Motion Blur : Yes / NO" and stuff to help the game run better...

Just bought a cap and a t-shirt and selected "Equip" : my character doesn't wear them. How to access inventory ? I can't.

How in the world is this still a thing in end 2016 on a +139.000.000 $ budget ?

Top Bottom