• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen remains offline as issues related to alpha 3.18 escalate the problem to a ‘major outage’

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Come to my window and yell
giphy.gif

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No suprise. Alpha 3.18 is virtually a new game. The entire network system has been reworked and the persistence system is beyond anything in gaming. Making every dynamic object persistent across databases/servers was an insane idea even in theory. The testing revealed some problems here, but it was to be expected that these would multiply exponentially with the large rollout. There are some angry nerds, the kind of people who took vacation time to play on a patch day. Most of the furious tend to be people who are utterly uninvolved, as is the case here on GAF. See you in 3.18.2
Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Hugare

I've never played it, but I respect tbe ambition

Putting a persistence system on a game like this is simply nuts. Only Bethesda engine has this ability for an open world game, but their games look like shit and are less ambitious than this one (in terms of scope)

I hope that the final version will be released eventualy

16 TIMES THE DETAIL. Alpha 3.18 is virtually a new game the guy said :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I won't blame people for being hopeful and expecting a super deluxe space-faring/exploration game but they have no one to blame but themselves if everything goes to hell. I wish could eat crow but this is some extreme case of Stockholm syndrome by the Star Citizen community, maybe only rivaling the Destiny community.

RespawnX

16 TIMES THE DETAIL. Alpha 3.18 is virtually a new game the guy said :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I won't blame people for being hopeful and expecting a super deluxe space-faring/exploration game but they have no one to blame but themselves if everything goes to hell. I wish could eat crow but this is some extreme case of Stockholm syndrome by the Star Citizen community, maybe only rivaling the Destiny community.
I have no idea what they mean with 16 times the detail. I'm referring to the new network code, persistent entity streaming, new dmg model with salvage and gen12 renderer. But of course there are millions of game out their who manage to make millions of objects persistent for everyone ... right? I'm really interested to hear about them.
Meanwhile, I spent less money into the game than I earn in an hour of work. Only people I blame are people who aren't interested in any serious discussion, just cry like suckers and throw childish memes throw the world. Just annoying. If people can't manage their lives, they should just stay out of discussions to which they don't have anything meaningful to contribute.

Elysion

Banned
I‘m curious about the state of the game at this point. Does it have any kind of campaign or quests that can be played from start to finish? Or is it all emergent and 100% player-driven, and a campaign will be exclusive to Squadron 42 or whatever it‘s called?

Hero_Select

I know it’s easy to bash on Star Citizen but recently it seems like it’s taking shape

They seem to be having fun and reminds me of the early Eve online gangs.

Their new persistence system was tested and it shows it needs improvement, surprised pikachu face

Fuck. That looks fun.

I bought a ship package a LOOONG time ago and had fun just flying around for a couple of days, but lately it doesnt seem to run too well on my PC which has a 3080 in it. Maybe I'll give it another shot

elco

I‘m curious about the state of the game at this point. Does it have any kind of campaign or quests that can be played from start to finish? Or is it all emergent and 100% player-driven, and a campaign will be exclusive to Squadron 42 or whatever it‘s called?
There are some boss type mission givers, and I think doing missions for them increase your standing with that person. There may be some rewards for eventually achieving a certain standing and then completing some given mission.

It's still all very proof of concept and not fully fleshed out. There are still so many base mechanics that need to be implemented before I think they'll really tie any of that together.

So yeah, mostly emergent, with some window dressing.

What you can actually experience in this "game" is actually one of the most impressive things I've played outside of the jank and countless bugs. As impressive as it though it's definitely frustrating with how long it's been taking though following the development is rather interesting. Personally, I feel that the chase is more satisfying than the catch seeing it slowly progress over time. Still looking forward to S42 whenever that does eventually plan on releasing. Hopefully I'm alive by then

elco

What you can actually experience in this "game" is actually one of the most impressive things I've played outside of the jank and countless bugs. As impressive as it though it's definitely frustrating with how long it's been taking though following the development is rather interesting. Personally, I feel that the chase is more satisfying than the catch seeing it slowly progress over time. Still looking forward to S42 whenever that does eventually plan on releasing. Hopefully I'm alive by then
With this project taking multiple decades, the long-term plans for this project have been a concern of mine. How long can we realistically expect leadership to remain in place? We're talking about a seemingly infinite scope, on finite time.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
It's fun to watch the cultists say "it'll be ready this year, Chris Roberts said so."
Oh how's server meshing going?
Actually the first part is done. You now have physicalized inventory etc. Also Gen 12 renderer is in game and will be optimized in future.
How much do you spend on this?
I bought basic ship for 45$ in 2018 and pretty happy with that. So I don't give a f*** about all that 'release' shit.

Sgt.Asher

Actually the first part is done. You now have physicalized inventory etc. Also Gen 12 renderer is in game and will be optimized in future.
How much do you spend on this?
I bought basic ship for 45$ in 2018 and pretty happy with that. So I don't give a f*** about all that 'release' shit.
Got a refund when I still could, it was clear they were milking whales. I wanted squadron 42 not this mmo fuckery.
Now I just watch them fail over and over again, and the cultists defend this garbage. Endless entertainment, and free too.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Eh i will prolly get it someday when its finished.. then play it for 5 hours and tell myself i do not have time for this shit 🤣

Honey Bunny

They initially said the game would come out in 2016.
Not even, the initial launch date from the KS was November 2014.

Browsing the star citizen sub is funny, people defending this outage with 'its an alpha'. Yeh, that's the problem, its still an alpha a decade later.

diffusionx

Gold Member
$550 million and ten years and it's a janky piece of shit. The singleplayer game, the game that was pitched on Kickstarter, is just complete vaporware.

It's taken so long they are starting to go back and redo content they made before, this is a cycle that NEVER ENDS. It's in DNF territory, the cultists just don't know it yet.

Buggy Loop

Fuck. That looks fun.

I bought a ship package a LOOONG time ago and had fun just flying around for a couple of days, but lately it doesnt seem to run too well on my PC which has a 3080 in it. Maybe I'll give it another shot

Well, now the persistent patch broke things so you'll have to wait.

But i just wanted to point out that, there's imo encouraging progress, took forever, but the systems are starting to take form. It can't all just be negative right? For all the Scam Citizen easy jokes, it would be the shittiest scam in the history of scams to put so much effort into it. Getting tiring to just read these jokes constantly. Yes we know, easy reaction farming circle jerking.

I still think the leaked internal trailer for Squadron 42 is still indicative that there's a lot of work done and seems quite far into development.

My $45 big investment still gives me more hype that this game is fully realized with a mic drop announcement and nobody will see it coming. If it fails, oh well.
Haven't played it since i backed it. I'm patient. I've wasted more money on random shit in life than this.

edit - Also latest patched worked at one point, peoples were taking videos of it working. At a smaller scale it worked for a long time. Somehow the scalability on the server fucked up. This should be an easy workaround, nothing like a graphic engine backbone problem. Server memory leak, corrupted database, container fucked up? Seems a small problem compared to how far it has come.

Last edited:

simpatico

I know it’s easy to bash on Star Citizen but recently it seems like it’s taking shape

They seem to be having fun and reminds me of the early Eve online gangs.

Their new persistence system was tested and it shows it needs improvement, surprised pikachu face

This looks amazing. I don't understand the hate.

Do people not realize that this game is designed to never be finished? How long is it acceptable for a game to be in development? 20 years? 25 years?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Well, now the persistent patch broke things so you'll have to wait.

But i just wanted to point out that, there's imo encouraging progress, took forever, but the systems are starting to take form. It can't all just be negative right? For all the Scam Citizen easy jokes, it would be the shittiest scam in the history of scams to put so much effort into it. Getting tiring to just read these jokes constantly. Yes we know, easy reaction farming circle jerking.

I still think the leaked internal trailer for Squadron 42 is still indicative that there's a lot of work done and seems quite far into development.

My $45 big investment still gives me more hype that this game is fully realized with a mic drop announcement and nobody will see it coming. If it fails, oh well.
Haven't played it since i backed it. I'm patient. I've wasted more money on random shit in life than this.

edit - Also latest patched worked at one point, peoples were taking videos of it working. At a smaller scale it worked for a long time. Somehow the scalability on the server fucked up. This should be an easy workaround, nothing like a graphic engine backbone problem. Server memory leak, corrupted database, container fucked up? Seems a small problem compared to how far it has come.

I don't think anyone is trying to deny the work they've done, but at this point it's like someone telling you they're halfway done building their infinitely tall tower. Like sure, I see what you've built but you still aren't ever any closer to done.

Sgt.Asher

This looks amazing. I don't understand the hate.
Don't buy into it, that is a highly curated video done by a bunch of Star Citizen streamers. Shit like that rarely, if ever, actually occurs in game.
You are more likely going to die from ant number of bugs judt getting to your ship.

• Fire
Reactions: amc

Longcat

I remember a decade ago when I was hyped as fuck, hoped it would release any day now and thought my old 970 would be able to run it.

Glad I never gave them any money.

k_trout

I tried to buy it once, they took my money but I couldn't get the game for some reason, so they refunded me, sometimes life is kind

hemo memo

Gold Member
I remember a decade ago when I was hyped as fuck, hoped it would release any day now and thought my old 970 would be able to run it.

Glad I never gave them any money.
Ironically the game launch will be the game downfall. They know this and they will delay it as much as possible. Being in a Alpha state make the fans imagination runs wild at what could be achieved. When the game actually launches, reviews will hit, this will be the game that everyone can judge and bullshit promises aren’t going to help. So yeah. I see why they are doing this.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Then they're dummies who are about a decade late to run away with the money
The people making the most of the money in the studios would be stupid to run away if the money keeps coming in, the devs working on it are just devs working on it, if the product is what it feels it is (meaning something that is meant to continue development forever never really meant to be completed, keeping on getting funds from people).

Top Bottom