• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
Why would beings who are able to build amazing astronomical megastructures, that we are able to spot from over 1400 light years away, even bother? They would regards us as we would ants. A tinge of curiosity, minimum annoyance maybe, but ultimately irrelevant if we're going on with our day to day incomprehensible meaningless existence.

However if we started building Dyson Spheres, yet still carried on with our warlike aggressive tendencies, then yes, they will most likely take notice.

I would think that they would at least want to research us. They couldn't have gotten to where they are by not researching things that they don't know about. If they exist and if they could get here, I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't come here.

takriel

contact_jodie-foster_02.png

beautiful woman. maybe the movie was right all along?

KDR_11k

Well, we once thought we found aliens but instead we discovered pulsars... This might just be an oddly shaped natural object.

Considering how little we know, I would think some other natural occurrence would be completely plausible

But imagining that aliens have reached a stage in their development that they could harness the sun is so incredible to think about. Especially since it'd be light that is 1400 years old.

We'll never know :(

I think the most craziest thing to imagine is how many planets that have life evolved to be intelligent, and just failed to make it out of their own backyard, dead and forgotten forever.

akira28

Now this would be "the most exiticing news ever"

seriously I was just imagining it. It would be the biggest thing ever. For it to be that open and shut, concluded and done? Alien installation, a freakin Ringworld surrounding another Star. woo.

Humam tech would boom too. You know as soon as humanity knows something is possible...

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
If that's what it took for us to actually start investing in space research in a big way then send in the Space Marines.

Come on, just think of all those juicy resource rich asteroids we can invade liberate. I hear there's a whole moon full of hydrocarbons too.

I'm sure out there they have nuclear heads hiding... .

StayDead

Well we didn't have radios 1400 years ago now, did we? In fact it means we should be relatively safe for at least another 1300 years.

It doesn't mean anything regarding us. We're still at war with ourselves so it's entirely possible we'll wipe ourselves out soon enough due to the stupidity of the people who run the world. That civilisation could've been entirely peaceful.

I would think that they would at least want to research us. They couldn't have gotten to where they are by not researching things that they don't know about. If they exist and if they could get here, I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't come here.

Maybe they already researched other cultures and races and think, its not worth the effort to look at hose people who are still so backwards...we arent going to destroy them if they are ahead of us and if they can use something like Dyson, they wouldnt need any of our resources what so ever...

Or maybe the ancient god of destruction is sleeping and dreaming about Super Human God Super Human and then he will visit us :p

SkyOdin

Maybe it's a Dyson sphere a civilisation has built which would fall into the Type II civilisation on the Kardashev scale.

Probably isn't a Dyson sphere, since we can still see the star. A Dyson sphere would be a bit more distinct. It would be harder to see, since it would be hidden by the sphere, but we would be able to detect the heat radiated from the sphere encasing the star. In this case, it would be more of a ring around the star, rather than a fully encompassing sphere.

That is if this is an artificial structure. The possibility is really exciting though.

Machina

Banned
Exactly. Our radio waves haven't even reached them yet. They could be zipping all over the galaxy and miss us because they'd have to get within 100 light years of us to even know we exist.

And this is assuming that a spacefaring alien species that has discovered the concept of a Dyson Ring didn't see any reason to interfere with us and thus haven't. Why are we so quick to assume that we're the only species that is smart enough to come up with a concept such as the Prime Directive from Star Trek.

Trouble

Banned
It's sort of amazing to think that we could find an advanced civilization and it would take 1,480 years for a signal we send to reach them, then another 1,480 for them to respond.

And this is assuming that a spacefaring alien species that has discovered the concept of a Dyson Ring didn't see any reason to interfere with us and thus haven't. Why are we so quick to assume that we're the only species that is smart enough to come up with a concept such as the Prime Directive from Star Trek.

The first radio signals sent into space from Earth still won't reach them for over a thousand years. If there is an advanced civilization there, it's fairly safe to assume they don't know we exist yet.

Edit: Unless, of course, faster than light travel is actually possible and they have discovered it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If a civilization has the ability to create a Dyson ring 1400 years ago and we are not yet dead. Then the speed of light is a hard limit.

Could be a gamma burst through that part of space wiped them out.

The smart money is probably on it either being an issue with the telescope or some natural phenomenon we haven't encountered yet,

Jonm1010

Banned
I agree. I always found the arguments that a super intelligent alien species to likely be callous, ruthless and lacking in empathy to be rather unrealistic.

In order for a species to grow and expand to such an advanced point and not destroy itself IMO, it would likely require a very high level of empathy for its species and its own environment/planet/co-inhabitants and possess a strong understanding of how to ultimately grow technology in a careful and self sustaining and self-preserving way. A highly intelligent species that evolved along a path of ruthless conquest or a lack of concern for anything but itself would likely die out before ever reaching an extremely advanced level of intelligence.

Log4Girlz

Probably isn't a Dyson sphere, since we can still see the star. A Dyson sphere would be a bit more distinct. It would be harder to see, since it would be hidden by the sphere, but we would be able to detect the heat radiated from the sphere encasing the star. In this case, it would be more of a ring around the star, rather than a fully encompassing sphere.

That is if this is an artificial structure. The possibility is really exciting though.

What if we witness the star slowly fade away to nothing. Holy crap.

Machina

Banned
I agree. I always found the arguments that a super intelligent alien species to likely be callous, ruthless and lacking in empathy to be rather unrealistic.

In order for a species to grow and expand to such an advanced point and not destroy itself IMO, it would likely require a very high level of empathy for its species and its own environment/planet/co-inhabitants and possess a strong understanding of how to ultimately grow technology in a careful and self sustaining and self-preserving way. A highly intelligent species that evolved along a path of ruthless conquest or a lack of concern for anything but itself would likely die out before ever reaching an extremely advanced level of intelligence.

Very good point. If I could get my fanboy on for a minute, The Fallout world is a pretty good representation on what happens to a species that is hellbent on destroying itself.

Ikael

Send them a message of peace and love

Meanwhile, build mass accelerators and hurl goddamn Phobos into these fuckers at sub-L speeds before they get the chance to do the same to us. Do it. DO IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

A species at "Dyson Ring +1000 years" tech having not formed a far-ranging interstellar empire would raise some questions. Maybe they wouldn't have destroyed us in their galactic conquest, but for there to be no obvious signs of expansion when technology generally advances at an exponential rate (along with population in a society with essentially no energy limits) would definitely have to make you doubt that the speed of light could ever be exceeded.

Nah, not necessarily. There are a billion different reasons why an alien species with space-faring cappabilities wouldn't want to create a galaxy-wide empire.

I would pressume that a sentient forest, coral or another type of soil-bound macro-organism would be hard to transport into other planet and it might find the idea of replicating another intelligence such as itself in another star system as downright treathening.

Perhaps, after reaching a certain technological advancement, your species might end up "trascending" and leaving this material world altogether, which could happen even before they obtain FTL cappabilities.

More scaringly, perhaps life is common in the universe and artificial intelligence development is the true great filter that brings down intelligent species before they can reach supra-lumnic flight.

Or, in a more optimistic look, if you are able to create an utopia inside your native planet with infinite energy, safety, resources and pleasures, why would anyone risk interestellar travel then? Yes, there would always be curious lone explorers and outposts here and there in the galaxy, but the motivation for building an vast galactic empire proper with colonized worlds and the likes would almost vanish.

I hope the speed of light is a hard limit. Y'all don't like black people near ATMs but you want aliens to come down? We importing beings to discriminate against? Don't y'all have enough?

Nah, if anything, discovering another sentient species would make black people ascend in the totem pole by the virtue of finding yet another more scary intelligent creatures that we can all agree to discriminate against and put further below them. Progress!

Mr_Moogle

It's crazy to think that in all the vastness of space, it's very likely there are events playing out right now that would come straight out of one of our sci-fi movies. There are probably Intergalactic empires, planet destroying death stars etc. Space is just too huge for there not to be.

Fusebox

Banned
So if it wasn't natural, what's the scale? A bunch of satellites like earth has or a full on planetary defence system?

I was thinking a couple of days ago, imagine for a second that you wake up tomorrow and every channel is showing the same images again and again and humans have concrete evidence of the existance of God. Like footage of God coming down from the sky and walking among us.

World would be even more fucked up than it already is.

So if it wasn't natural, what's the scale? A bunch of satellites like earth has or a full on planetary defence system?

I imagine they mean satellites in the sense of Moon sized objects floating along a similar orbit or something like a ring connected around the entire star. Odds are a Dyson Sphere would be unreasonable to most species of Aliens, so they would build a Halo-esque ring and ferry storable energy cells to and from their home planet.

I just read about the fermi paradox (mindblowing btw)

Isn't that bad if we find other life forms? Not saying this is that but just curious.

It means that the great filter is still in front of us.

KeRaSh

If a civilization has the ability to create a Dyson ring 1400 years ago and we are not yet dead. Then the speed of light is a hard limit.

That's the mindblowing part about this. We're looking at something that existed 1480 years ago. Even if we checked the radio waves and found out that there is something there we would have no way to contact them in a way that doesn't take 1480 years to reach them.

What makes you say that? Surely that's assuming that the civilization in question would want to attack us?

I think he is referencing an exponential probability. If there is the tech, existence, and physical capability of a civilization to produce these things... and they aren't EVERYWHERE, then you can assume that they are bounded by some other factor which reduces their expansion: he assumes a hard limit in the speed of light.

Thesse things would be made by self producing reproducing automated robots probably at the will of said civilization. Robots if given the resources would multiply and create exponentially IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom