• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64: N64/Wii/Wii U Comparison

Stopdoor

Interesting, I first played SF64 on the Wii and didn't realize it was that different from the original N64 game. The bump in resolution and framerate seems worth it though, I can take that tradeoff for running a little faster/darker, easier to handle than the Wii U one.

FYI: N64 > Wii > Wii U apparently!

That's isn't 100% accurate. Wii U has the best performance, though there seems to be some input lag or something that can interfere with shooting as well as the dark filter. Wii isn't far behind but has no input lag but also has weird framerate drops that the original didn't have but seems to fix the ones in actual gameplay and it has some transparency issues. The N64 has a brighter image but is 240p, has quite a few framerate drops and runs in general slower. I kind of feel Wii is best in that comparison.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Star Fox 64 Switch:
Plain-Black-Wallpaper.png

nkarafo

Some older versions of PJ64/Mupen plugins have this exact gamma/brightness problem with the game.

Shows how shitty Nintendo's emulators can be.

Just stick with PJ64+GlideN64. Set counter factor to "1" for better frame rate.

That OP is quite misleading. If you actually watch the video, it's more complicated: The color degrading is truly sad, but performance-wise, the emulations on Wii and WiiU are simply better.

TannerDemoz

Franz Brötchen;228881746 said:
That OP is quite misleading. If you actually watch the video, it's more complicated: The color degrading is truly sad, but performance-wise, the emulations on Wii and WiiU are simply better.

Fixed

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wii U N64 VC is absolutely abysmal. Such a shame considering Wii VC was really solid
The Wii version shown here is terrible though. Stuff like the effects not displaying properly is just unacceptable, and you notice it all the time on the thruster. Virtual Console is just one giant joke.

alf717

I remember the Wii version was updated to fix an issue with the classic controller. A user on here stated it also introduced slow down after that update released. Wonder if the slow down mentioned in the video was because of the updated version.

I don't see the appeal at all for the virtual console. PC emulators are far more accurate and make the games look way better than the original.

It's not enough to just upload the old game these days in an ulaltered/worse state. Even Sony recognizes this and is actually porting PS2 games to the PS4 with enhanced framerates and visuals.

I don't see the appeal at all for the virtual console. PC emulators are far more accurate and make the games look way better than the original.

It's not enough to just upload the old game these days in an ulaltered/worse state. Even Sony recognizes this and is actually porting PS2 games to the PS4 with enhanced framerates and visuals.

People playing on consoles already may not want to do emulation on PC, don't have a powerful enough PC, etc. I haven't bought too many VC games but I can definitely see why people would do it. Turn on console, load, then play game. There are also the legal/moral issues when you don't have a physical copy of the game lying around.

televator

Before we start judging color space it's important to know a few things. Nameley, how the footage was captured. Right now we don't even know what capture device or even what connections the author of the video used. So what you may actually see is a capture box set for one color space being given the wrong color space and then further badly converting it into another. 3 strikes yer out.

Beyond that, it's an okay video to judge some other performance aspects. DFRetro should give this game a look...

Balb

Is there an N64 emulator that I don't know about that isn't terrible for more than a small handful of games?

Floex

Ugh, still puzzled why they went ahead with darkening the pallet. Not giving Nintendo a single VC penny until they sort that out.

Chinbo37

The pricing on that game still blows me away. Ocarina of Time 3D is $20, why can't Star Fox 64 3D be? Pricing is the only thing stopping me from getting that game and it still hasn't gotten lower than $27.

Luckily I found it for 10 bucks new at my local shop. Snatched that up with the quickness

YBdisk

I wanted to complain on miiverse about Aquas being unplayable or N64 emulation in general being shit because of darkening/input delay/analog deadzones. Then I thought I'd just get stupid git gud replies so I refrained from doing so.

I also won't be upgrading/buying any N64 titles unless Switch versions don't have these issues.

Wait so Wii U VC doesn't let you shoot properly? (though I'd have to test it myself, it's a particular rhythm you use of holding button until 3 shots come out let go and hold button again) What is it with Wii U VC control issues? (lag, deadzones)

I'm curious how Star Fox 64 3D fares when it comes cutscene and explosion length. Are they based off the N64 original (which takes longer due to constant slowdown), the Wii VC version or do they just "prefer to do their own thing".

Then on the N64 original front I'm wondering how Lylat Wars fares. I think "PAL 50Hz it'll be like Super Probotector, more consistent speed at the cost of permanent slowdown" given how quickly training mode goes out of sync. Though at the time actually being full screen was a actually a pretty big deal considering how poor early N64 PAL first party was. They might have sped up some cutscenes so music doesn't go out of sync though.

The Wii VC version is one of the few games to receive a patch.
The patch was in fact to add some slowdown.

Personally, I think they wanted to prolong the tablet's battery life.
So you have to up the brightness when playing on the Gamepad? That's going to lower the life.

Unless you are telling my that darker pixels on an LCD display use less power than brighter pixels.

nkarafo

Is there an N64 emulator that I don't know about that isn't terrible for more than a small handful of games?
PJ64 2.3 + GlideN64 (latest version)

Should play 90% of the library without issues using default settings. With some tinkering add +5%.

In some cases you can also reduce slowdowns by setting Counter Factor to "1". I tested this on Starfox and it eliminates slowdowns entirely without compromises.

So you get the same or better internal resolution (optional), the original bright display, more accurate emulation in general, less input lag, better frame rates (optional) and configurable controls. Or you can make it look exactly like the N64 original. It's up to you.

Homebrew emulation scene >>>>> Official Nintendo emulation services.

Starfox 64 would be a great game to play on Switch if Nintendo can get it on there. It's highly replayable for me.

VC is still the biggest question mark for Switch for me. Everybody (except maybe Nintendo) knows how big VC could be if done right.

Source? This is really interesting - would like to know/read more!

I don't have a source, but I know that NES Classic has an epilepsy filter built into it. So, clearly it's a concern for Nintendo.

nkarafo

Source? This is really interesting - would like to know/read more!
In Donkey Kong Country, the parrot with the flashlight no longer flashes the screen when changing directions. I know they did this for the same reason. Dunno about other games though.

Top Bottom