• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online interview (create your own race)

Ventrue

Kevin said:
Sprint2Final_sShots_0023_obRm02m.jpg

That was vapourware though.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
laserbeam said:
True but it almost seems like what were getting now is Star Trek: Legacy style game turned MMO and Legacy blew bad

Legacy had on-ship and on-planet areas? I didn't know that.

Tobor said:
No thanks. I want to fly my own ship. Why would I pay good money to be an ensign on someone else's ship? Boooorrrrriiiinnng.

Did you even read what I quoted? That would be for Guild ships only, and only if you wanted to. I'm sure there are a lot of Trek fans out there that would find that appealing.

Bloodwake

I do like the other approach better. I think that "everyone's a captain" will make it harder for groups to get together and play, whereas if it was everyone working together on one ship, the game would encourage people playing together.

Plus, the best part: while the ship's crew could level up doing tasks (which I'm sure would be made fun through mini games or creative decision making), I would give the control for promotion (from Ensign all the way up to Captain) to the players.

The GMs could be Admirals or something.

At the same time however, this new idea sounds pretty good, with the create your own race, and it looks good. I also like that it is years after the TNG era (where I wanted what became Enterprise to be set) so that it doesn't mess with current series canon.

I will be angry if everyone ended up being Federation though. It would be good for PVP if you could choose to be a Romulan or a Cardassian or even a Borg, although if I were a betting man, I would say that all of the interplanetary factions in the game will be fighting against a totally NPC Borg fleet in most missions.

Bloodwake

By the way, geek alert: it must not be THAT far into the future, because that ship looks like a very heavily refit Sovereign class starship.

If anyone here has played Puzzle Pirates, you may know that an MMO can still be awesome without everyone being the Captain.

Oh dear, that looked better than I thought, I spent 3 years in City of Heroes as my first MMO since the EU beta before I got bored so this could well drag me back to an MMO. Most of the players I played CoH with will probably come back as well, unless they just choose Champions.

Sibylus

Banned
Looks like they're aiming really high with STO (Heavy emphasis on exploration and interaction with alien races, ships having multiple decks, etc, it all just goes on).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Great stuff. I'm confident. Trailer looked like what I expected, woohoo.

Also, Jeff, awesome liveblog. Want a cookie? There you go boy.

nom.gif

Malfunky

I'm really liking the whole "pet" crew system. I was worried it would just be a single person controlling a huge ship. I hope we can torture expendables in unfortunately colored shirts as we see fit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Here's hoping the starship combat has some depth to it, like Bridge Commander or Starfleet Command.

Sir Fragula said:
What's the deal with the different uniform styles?

Perhaps it is different for command level officers. Notice that the human and the green-scaled dude are of captain and commander rank, respectively.

And what division is the Andorian in?
Don't know. Maybe some sort of covert intelligence.

Top Bottom