• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: The Great Netflix Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
"there is nothing here but worthless gold!"

This Morn episode was the first time I noticed Latnum was not gold bars
what the hell was that liquid? I heard gold pressed latnum - Quark said that the gold is the outer shell

KuGsj.gif
Morn is back
3AQmK.gif

I remember hearing gold pressed latinum was used as currency because gold couldn't be replicated. Makes sense thats why they would use it but seems silly the replicator can't replicate gold.

LakeEarth

I remember hearing gold pressed latinum was used as currency because gold couldn't be replicated. Makes sense thats why they would use it but seems silly the replicator can't replicate gold.
I know. We've seen replicators making metal objects, so its not like it can't make elements close to gold in the periodic table.

Funny how the replicators know what types of cups to replicate for which beverage. Teacups for tea, glass cups for orange juice, metal cups for klingon drinks, etc.

Tobor

I know. We've seen replicators making metal objects, so its not like it can't make elements close to gold in the periodic table.

Funny how the replicators know what types of cups to replicate for which beverage. Teacups for tea, glass cups for orange juice, metal cups for klingon drinks, etc.

I always assumed that it had defaults for each drink, they could probably override it.

"Computer, hot chocolate in Worlds Greatest Dad mug."

Replicators have to be programmed with how to replicate something, so whoever programmed it for such an object also programmed in the parameters of the cups.

The gold is considered worthless in Trek mostly, it's the latinum inside that's worth a ton. Also many things can't be replicated correctly, replicators simply make similar objects hence why non replicated objects are often superior especially in the case of food stuffs.

An-Det

I just marathoned the last 6 episodes of DS9, finally finishing the series. Goddamn, that's how you do a series finale. I'm not sure I would say DS9 is my favorite Trek yet having just finished it minutes ago, but once it's sunk in I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine.

Cheerilee

I am up to Season 6
Who will morn Morn?

Morn has been a running joke through out DS9

Was there ever any other character like Morn in Star Trek?
I loved the way he never said a word but people kept talking about him saying stuff, or talking about his life
KuGsj.gif

I don't like the idea of having him die
LLShC.gif
Morn = Norm from Cheers. They just made him silent, and then they decided to make it so that he's not silent, it's the audience that somehow never hears him speak.

"there is nothing here but worthless gold!"

This Morn episode was the first time I noticed Latnum was not gold bars
what the hell was that liquid? I heard gold pressed latnum - Quark said that the gold is the outer shell

KuGsj.gif
Morn is back
3AQmK.gif
I've always figured that Latinum (the liquid inside the gold) is a high-energy substance. They can't simply replicate it and get more, because it consumes more energy to make than it's worth.

The Federation tried to abolish money (and it worked for a while), but energy is still limited and the Federation is often seen to be rationing it out to it's people. The Ferengi just introduced Federation citizens to energy-based money.

Replicators have to be programmed with how to replicate something, so whoever programmed it for such an object also programmed in the parameters of the cups.

The gold is considered worthless in Trek mostly, it's the latinum inside that's worth a ton. Also many things can't be replicated correctly, replicators simply make similar objects hence why non replicated objects are often superior especially in the case of food stuffs.
I don't think the replicator is limited, I think it's the recipes that are limited. The replicator is basically half of a transporter, controlled by computer memory. But transporter patterns are massive, and can't be stored. So what they do is (for instance) transport a cow, and have somebody or something observe the pattern as it goes by. Then they write a new, drastically smaller pattern, which resembles the average of what they saw. They give that pattern a cube shape, and suddenly they have an original material that sort of tastes like beef. They refine the texture and shape with some more polygons, flash-cook it, and now you have something like steak. But it's not steak. It's generic and massively simplified, and it always tastes exactly the same. It's basically spam with a lot of attention given to it's presentation. There's no way it can fool a true steak lover.

Also, the Federation stuck it's nose into the replicator business, and mandated nutritional standards through additives, and banned all the fun things like alcohol.

jarosh

I watched The Captains last night.

Holy shit, Avery Brooks is out there.
if by "out there" you mean pretentious as fuck and pretty much insufferable, then yes, he's pretty out there. he's also an awful actor. it's a miracle ds9 was as good as it was, despite this guy playing the lead character.

Davey Cakes

if by "out there" you mean pretentious as fuck and pretty much insufferable, then yes, he's pretty out there. he's also an awful actor. it's a miracle ds9 was as good as it was, despite this guy playing the lead character.
Interesting opinion. I enjoyed the angle that he took. At first it seemed like he might be Picard 2 but he finds ways to break from what, which I appreciate. His acting didn't really come off as "bad" to me. It seemed merely like a different approach.

Recently watched TOS, had such a blast watching them. Reminded me of being a kid again and watching reruns of it with my Dad. Now to start TNG and really feel nostalgic, I grew up with that show!
KuGsj.gif

An-Det

I just finished Season 2 of Enterprise. It's better than I had expected so far, given all the flak I've heard. It's not perfect, and there have been some stinkers and episodes that felt off, but overall it's really not bad so far.

Slayven

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Latinum

Latinum is a rare silver liquid used as currency by the Ferengi Alliance and many other worlds. It cannot be replicated. For ease of transaction, latinum is usually suspended within gold to produce "gold-pressed" latinum. (DS9: "Who Mourns for Morn?")

Denominations of gold-pressed latinum, in order of increasing value, include the slip, the strip, the bar and the brick.

jarosh

I just finished Season 2 of Enterprise. It's better than I had expected so far, given all the flak I've heard. It's not perfect, and there have been some stinkers and episodes that felt off, but overall it's really not bad so far.

interesting. we just finished the show about a month ago and i completely disagree: it's a total disaster and BY FAR the worst trek show in existence. i can't believe anyone would suggest that voyager is worse. awful characters, boring plots, superficial and inconsistent characterization and mind-numbingly cliched writing. the worst part by far is the incredibly stupid recurring "temporal cold war" arc. oh my god! somebody keep braga away from time travel! what a gargantuan mess. the amount of plot holes, inconsistencies and outright contradictions are just - wow! nothing makes any sense, time traveling rules are changed from one episode to the next to make room for yet another tedious, agonizing plot contrivance. it was nearly unbearable to sit through.

god, i could go on and on about this show and its relentless stupidity. but i'm gonna have to stop myself. it has maybe 3 or 4 decent episodes overall. about 60% of it is complete crap, the rest is mediocre at best. season 3 was somewhat better and had a few stand-out episodes. the introduction of a season long arc and the fact that something was actually at stake definitely helped a lot. but it just wasn't enough. season 4 consisted of a bunch of mostly mediocre mini arcs, except for the final one, which somehow managed to reach an entirely new level of stupidity, tediousness and hokeyness. and the finale is actually just another mediocre episode, far from as bad as the "fanbase" has been making it out to be. it's just kind of a slap in the face to the two people who actually gave a shit about any of the characters. but i'm puzzled as to why anyone would; they're almost all so poorly written and one-dimensional.

JdFoX187

Banned
I agree. The temporal cold war actually was an interesting device, but they did absolutely nothing with it and it went to shit. They finally wrap it up fairly quickly in season 4. You're in for a treat with season 3. For the first 3/4, it's some really quality Trek. I loved what they were doing with it. It sort of goes downhill at the end, but it's still the best thing about Enterprise.

vazel

Banned
I'm in the middle of season 4 of Enterprise. Season 3 was decent but everything else is crap. The major failing of Enterprise is it has no interesting character interactions. On the other Star Trek shows even when the main episode plot was weak there were still sometimes some good character moments. Even Voyager had better character interactions thanks largely to the Doctor and Neelix.

Cheerilee

interesting. we just finished the show about a month ago and i completely disagree: it's a total disaster and BY FAR the worst trek show in existence. i can't believe anyone would suggest that voyager is worse. awful characters, boring plots, superficial and inconsistent characterization and mind-numbingly cliched writing.

You're supposed to follow that last sentence with an "And Enterprise is even worse" rimshot.

Just finished watching the DS9 series on Netflix, took me about 2-3 months.

I probably watched about 60-75% of the episodes when I was a kid/teen, but this was the first time watching every ep of the series and as an adult. A lot of the political themes went over my head as a kid, back then I just loved the on-going battle between the Dominion and Alpha Quadrant.

Anyway, overall I think the series still holds up pretty strong. The character development and story-arc are excellent, and it touches on themes where other Treks were afraid to boldly go. Most of DS9s short-comings were basically the same as all the other Trek series. Rough first season, holodeck episodes, random non-sensical time travel, and re-hashed episodes. Basically the filler episodes.

But since DS9 had an on-going story-arc, the filler episodes were clearly identifiable. Also in the latter seasons, DS9 had 6 & 8 part episodes which were completely devoid of filler.

I just really enjoyed the continuity of the show. Situations that happened in seasons 1-3, actually would be relevant to some eps in seasons 4 - 6. For example, early on in the series Dr. Bashir finds the cure for the "Blight". Then several seasons later he goes to a conference to speak about the Blight. Also the characters in general will reference things that happened to them in early seasons. It makes the characters feel more alive since they actually remember what you saw them experience. You don't get this with episodic resets.

That said, there were a few things that still annoyed me with the series:
- It seemed like it took about a season and a half for the actors to really settle in their roles in DS9.
- Too many alternate universe eps. The first one has fine. Maybe another would have been okay, but it felt like there was at least 5-6 alt eps. I think they finally stopped because they killed off too many cast members in the alt universe.
- They should have designed/constructed better gun props which didn't look like fisher price plastic toys.
- The revelation about Dr Bashir's past in the latter seasons, basically turned him into Dr. Data. Aside from he eps where he was helping the institutionalized, it didn't really add much to his character or the storyline. It just became annoying character detail O'Brian would have to bring up almost every ep.
- Ezrie Dax should have just been a 2-3 episode character and then gone back to Trill. The writers/producers knew it was the last season of DS9, not sure why they threw a brand new character with the main cast, which all had been fully developed for 7 seasons.
- Was it just me or did Kieko and O'Brian in the latter seasons seem to be a broken replicator away from a divorce? I was almost certain that either O'Brian would run away with Bashir or Keiko would leave him for a plant.
- Jake Sisqo's receding hairline

I'm already starting to have Star Trek withdrawals. But I don't know if I want to watch Voyager again, I couldn't stand it when I was younger. Also Enterprise always gets mediocre to terribad reviews.... but I guess I should watch it since it's the only Star Trek TV series I haven't seen.

Cheerilee

- Ezrie Dax should have just been a 2-3 episode character and then gone back to Trill. The writers/producers knew it was the last season of DS9, not sure why they threw a brand new character with the main cast, which all had been fully developed for 7 seasons.

The actress who was playing Jadzia Dax gave notice during season 6 that she wanted to quit, so they arranged for her "death" and for Ezri Dax to basically just step in and replace her. The show was going to change either way, but they decided that bringing in some fresh blood would be a better change than leaving a hole and working with a smaller cast.

The actress who was playing Jadzia Dax gave notice during season 6 that she wanted to quit, so they arranged for her "death" and for Ezri Dax to basically just step in and replace her. The show was going to change either way, but they decided that bringing in some fresh blood would be a better change than leaving a hole and working with a smaller cast.

Yes, I know why they brought on a new character. I just think Ezri should have just been around for 2-3 eps to give closure to Dax. Yes there would be a hole in the cast, but the cast was huge and it was the final season so I'm sure they could have easily gotten around her absence.

But I guess the producers felt they needed some Trill-eye candy in the cast.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't know this thread existed. When I noticed that TNG was on Netflix, I started watching it on a whim. I hated it as a kid because my dad would watch it during dinner and it bored my little kid brain. I love the show now. I watch it whenever I have nothing to watch or if I'm exercising or something.

I still haven't watched the original series and I'm not sure if I plan to. I just like Picard so much and I'm really annoyed by William Shatner.

Davey Cakes

I still haven't watched the original series and I'm not sure if I plan to. I just like Picard so much and I'm really annoyed by William Shatner.
Same here. Not so much the part about William Shatner, but I just don't find myself intrigued at all by TOS. It might have to do with the fact that I've already been overexposed to it by pop culture (where this wasn't the case with TNG and DS9).

What's likely going to happen is that I'm going to move onto Voyager with low expectations. I'd rather do that than watch TOS. Dead serious.

An-Det

I watched TNG, VOY, DS9, and ENT mostly consecutively (took a break for a week after DS9 to watch all 4 seasons of Breaking Bad before starting ENT), so by the time I got to TOS I was burnt out. This was around New Years, and I'm barely into Season 2 now. I'm enjoying it when I do watch it, but it's rough getting the motivation to turn it on now.

Looking at the OP again, I think I'm going to try to finish it by April 14, since that's the end date for the outlined rewatch. Crazy to think that I've watched almost nothing but Star Trek since this started. So much Trek...

I didn't know this thread existed. When I noticed that TNG was on Netflix, I started watching it on a whim. I hated it as a kid because my dad would watch it during dinner and it bored my little kid brain. I love the show now. I watch it whenever I have nothing to watch or if I'm exercising or something.

I've been working through it, but very slowly. It's got it's own charm to it, but a lot of that is Shatner, so if you can't stand him I wouldn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom