• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: The Great Netflix Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Teh Hamburglar said:
How many people live on DS9? I've always thought they never did the scale justice thanks to the Promenade set. It made it seem like DS9 was the size of a large office building.

According to Memory Alpha:

"Crew: 300 to 2,000 (Bajoran and Starfleet) (Capacity: 7,000)"

elrechazao said:
oh, and episode 2 is episode 4 for some reason. Great start.
What's Netflix's deal with this shit? Happens all the time and there are shows that have been fucked up for months now.

Teh Hamburglar said:
How many people live on DS9? I've always thought they never did the scale justice thanks to the Promenade set. It made it seem like DS9 was the size of a large office building.

Especially when you see something the scale of a galaxy class docked at the station, you realize how huge it should be.

Davey Cakes

Continuing my non-Netflix run through TNG. Just finished Season 4.

I will say that I'm actually annoyed by re-occurrences of
Denise Crosby/Tasha Yar or anything related to the character (e.g. the sister episode).

The alternate timeline episode in Season 3 was cute and even touching in a way but that should've been it. Just let it go already.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rash said:
Don't forget Q-less. Fun episode.

I hated Q-Less. Sisko punching him was amusing but the episode was weak. And then there's the horrid Voyager run.

Only good Q episode since TNG was the My Little Pony Season 2 opener (yes, they got John de Lancie, and yes, he's pretty much just playing Q again).

ErasureAcer said:
Past Prologue: This episode is just blah. Some intriguing concepts that aren't very well told. 5.5/10

I liked it okay, but I have low expectations on a lot of this stuff. I like when shows introduce several different seemingly unrelated plot-lines through different perspectives and weave them together. Quite a few cliches to roll your eyes at though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone see the episode Cardassians (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)? Is it me or does Sisko fart in the middle of the conservation with Bashir. It's the part after Bashir is woken by Garak and Bashir talks to Sisko about getting a runabout

LProtag

Since my new job requires me to wake up at 5:30-6:30 to see if I get a call to have to work (substitute teacher) meaning I can't be up late anymore because I'm always on call, I've decided to start a nightly ritual of watching an episode of something before going to bed, no matter what else needs to be done. I'll have at least an hour for myself where I can just relax.

I'm starting with TNG because I used to watch episodes of it as a kid with my mom but I don't entirely remember everything. It's weird because the characters and universe are so familiar yet when I go back I know I haven't seen (or remembered) most of the stories that are playing out. It's an interesting feeling.

Ohwiseone

I never watched Deep Space Nine.

But I remember for one season, there was a massive war, with an alien species, and they had to abandon DS9 (I think)

What season was that, I think it was later.. then again I could be way off.

ghostface

Ohwiseone said:
I never watched Deep Space Nine.

But I remember for one season, there was a massive war, with an alien species, and they had to abandon DS9 (I think)

What season was that, I think it was later.. then again I could be way off.
That's the final episode of season 5 and the first few episodes of season 6. Dominion took over the station.

Ohwiseone

ghostface said:
That's the final episode of season 5 and the first few episodes of season 6. Dominion took over the station.

Thank you, That has always bothered me, I remember thinking.. OH CRAP that looks awesome..and I never could find the episodes.

Oh well back to watching Emissary

evilhomer

So started up wathing DS9. Seen some scattered episodes before but not much remembered, love the pilot =]

Watching the episode 'Dax' right now. instantly recognized the president from 24, love that guy. but it seems too early to try to duplicate the TNG episode where Data was put on trial. Its an ok episode but there really hasnt been enough time to build the relationships between characters like there was on TNG with Data and the crew.

Story probably shouldve been saved for the second season when the characters had had longer to establish themselves and it would have more of an impact, kind of seems like a lost oppurtunity.

TheYanger

evilhomer said:
So started up wathing DS9. Seen some scattered episodes before but not much remembered, love the pilot =]

Watching the episode 'Dax' right now. instantly recognized the president from 24, love that guy. but it seems too early to try to duplicate the TNG episode where Data was put on trial. Its an ok episode but there really hasnt been enough time to build the relationships between characters like there was on TNG with Data and the crew.

Story probably shouldve been saved for the second season when the characters had had longer to establish themselves and it would have more of an impact, kind of seems like a lost oppurtunity.

There's another shitty trial episode later in the series. it's just not a type of episode they do well in DS9, let it stay in TNG.
god, I wish I could be watching all of trek for the first time with some of you people, SO AMAZING.

SpudBud

Started watching DS9 awhile ago and I just finished EP 18 "Duet". What a great 45 minutes of television. I can see why some people prefer it to TNG.

SpudBud said:
Started watching DS9 awhile ago and I just finished EP 18 "Duet". What a great 45 minutes of television. I can see why some people prefer it to TNG.

I think Duet is my favorite episode of Trek. Not only was it great dialogue and performances between Kira and Masett (?) but it marked a significant change in Kira's character. She finally learned that not all Cardassians were butchers and was the first step to softening her character.

Sucks we never saw this kind of development in VOY or ENT.

I'm going through TOS for the first time and I'm surprised to find many of the themes are as relevant as ever.

The one I with the two planets waging an infinite, computer-simulated war? Holy shit. Kirk points out that they've sanitized war and made it a part of life, instead of something horrible to be avoided. That's basically what the US has done.

(It's funny, though, that Kirk single-handedly decides what these two civilizations' futures should hold, applying his own human values to them, and only a couple of episodes after the series' first mention of the non-interference directice.)

Davey Cakes

That's what I like about Trek. It's a sci-fi show about traveling through the galaxy, but there are a lot of themes that relate to real life.

I liked the episode of TNG about the culture of people that kill themselves at 60-years-old in order to die with dignity and be remembered for the prime of their life.

Battersea Power Station said:
I'm going through TOS for the first time and I'm surprised to find many of the themes are as relevant as ever.
Like stealing Spock's brain, all these years later and people are still stealing Spock's brain.

dalin80

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
I love DS9 but I'll never understand why the Defiant doesn't have its own dedicated command crew.

Probably would if it wasnt for the TV limitation of too many characters in one show. Worf is about as close as it got.

Cheerilee

Jamesfrom818 said:
I love DS9 but I'll never understand why the Defiant doesn't have its own dedicated command crew.
Because it's Sisko's ship, and he and it are stationed at DS9, which is also Sisko's. He picks and chooses his crew assignments as the situation demands.

The Defiant showed up at DS9 with a crew, and Sisko moved them into the general DS9 pool of resources and put them to work instead of giving them time off. When the Defiant needs to go out, I'm sure most of them receive orders to get back on the ship. Sisko decides whether he wants to Captain the Defiant personally or just delegate the task to someone else. And Worf was kind of a waste of talent on DS9, much better suited to Captaining the Defiant in Sisko's place.

Cheerilee

Jamesfrom818 said:
I guess its just a Star Trek thing to always take the most senior staff on every outing.
Except First Contact.

Starfleet: Borg invading Earth! Quick Sisko, send us that Borg-killer-ship that you tried to convince us we needed but we said we didn't need but then you went and made anyways!

Sisko: Hmmm... okay... but I'm not flying it. You only get Worf and a crew of redshirts. I'm not risking my best assets on you.

*Defiant goes down in flames*

Sisko: Dammit Starfleet, you can't even kill one Cube without the help of a guy you banned from the fight? Now you owe me a new Defiant. You're just lucky my Worf wasn't seriously damaged.

ruby_onix said:
Except First Contact.

Starfleet: Borg invading Earth! Quick Sisko, send us that Borg-killer-ship that you tried to convince us we needed but we said we didn't need but then you went and made anyways!

Sisko: Hmmm... okay... but I'm not flying it. You only get Worf and a crew of redshirts. I'm not risking my best assets on you.

*Defiant goes down in flames*

Sisko: Dammit Starfleet, you can't even kill one Cube without the help of a guy you banned from the fight? Now you owe me a new Defiant. You're just lucky my Worf wasn't seriously damaged.
The Defiant was "adrift but salvageable." It wasn't destroyed.

Rash said:
That's what I like about Trek. It's a sci-fi show about traveling through the galaxy, but there are a lot of themes that relate to real life.

I liked the episode of TNG about the culture of people that kill themselves at 60-years-old in order to die with dignity and be remembered for the prime of their life.
"Half A Life" with David Ogden Stiers. Also a good one with Lwaxana.

DS9: S1: "Move Along Home":

Pretty terrible episode after really enjoying everything up until this point.
Did I miss something or was Bashir totally missing at the end there? He dies in the game and doesn't reappear when it's over?

Kira's acting is starting to get a bit grating. Not really sure who the bitchy woman who has an outburst about everything is supposed to appeal to.

"The Nagus": Looks to be a stinker as well so far. Disappointing.

Cheerilee

Dax01 said:
The Defiant was "adrift but salvageable." It wasn't destroyed.
Yeah, I was thinking it was First Contact where the first Defiant got destroyed and later replaced with the second one, but it was
the Breen/Dominion
who destroyed the first Defiant.

That's how you know they might have blown up a few too many ships in DS9. When someone says that mere battle damage in a TNG movie felt more impactful.

jarosh

Freyjadour said:
DS9: S1: "Move Along Home":

Pretty terrible episode after really enjoying everything up until this point.
Did I miss something or was Bashir totally missing at the end there? He dies in the game and doesn't reappear when it's over?

Kira's acting is starting to get a bit grating. Not really sure who the bitchy woman who has an outburst about everything is supposed to appeal to.

move along home is generally considered to be one of the worst episodes of ds9. besides the spotty acting and weird pacing, much of the plot is complete nonsense and almost every one seems to act out of character in one way or another. doesn't help that it's a season 1 episode (although there are some great eps even in s1). oh and kira turns into a pretty interesting and more nuanced character later on.

when ds9 is good, it's REALLY good. and it is really very much at its best when it focuses on arcs and behaves like a serial show. it's at its worst when it tries to emulate tng with overly contrived setups trying to justify one-off episodes. this can get pretty bizarre in the later seasons with the quality of episodes alternating between absolutely amazing and complete crap depending on whether they're in an arc or just churning through standalone ideas.

the a-plot/b-plot structure that the show embraces fully from season 2 on forward also almost ALWAYS takes away from the impact many of the standalone episodes could have had. but it works fairly well when the show is in non-episodic mode, since the two plots are then always connected in at least one important way: moving the bigger underlying narrative forward - which in turn makes them both feel relevant; something that often can't be said about the two story threads in one-off episodes.

One of the complaints in Season 1 was that Kira was a little too abrasive. They began to soften her character (through hair style and character development) in Season 2 and onward but she never stops being that scrappy Bajoran.

ruby_onix said:
Yeah, I was thinking it was First Contact where the first Defiant got destroyed and later replaced with the second one, but it was
the Breen/Dominion who destroyed the first Defiant.
That's pretty pointless to spoiler tag half a spoiler.
That's how you know they might have blown up a few too many ships in DS9. When someone says that mere battle damage in a TNG movie felt more impactful.
I don't understand any part of this post. Blew up a few too many ships? I don't see how its evidence for anything other than you misremembering something.
Medalion said:
The Breen have more powerful weapons than the Borg, go figure
The Breen had a weapon that disabled its defenses. The Borg didn't.

Davey Cakes

Freyjadour said:
No episode with the Grand Nagus is bad. Some of them can get a bit silly though.

I really don't think that DS9 Season 1 deserves much flack. It's better than the first two seasons of TNG. But I'll agree that it only gets better from Season 2 forward.

Rash said:
No episode with the Grand Nagus is bad. Some of them can get a bit silly though.

I really don't think that DS9 Season 1 deserves much flack. It's better than the first two seasons of TNG. But I'll agree that it only gets better from Season 2 forward.

Don't get me wrong I like Wallace Shawn, but I didn't care much for the episode.

And I've liked most of what I've seen so far quite a lot other than Move Along Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom